Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 06:02 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
In short, if you attended church, you might actually start living in accordance with your beliefs. Can't have that.
Good point, but even more scary....getting involved in the "life more abundant" Jesus promised...and it's not about having stuff, it's about living love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2017, 06:42 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Good point, but even more scary....getting involved in the "life more abundant" Jesus promised...and it's not about having stuff, it's about living love.
I suppose that depends on the church. I'm not sure why people insist on mindlessly trying to shove all Christian denominations into the same box. It's weird.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let me count the ways.....
I was raised in a traditional northern baptist church. My father was episcopal and my mother was Lutheran. I am good with God, and believe in the power of prayer, yet I haven't attended church for 50 years.

Sometimes I think I want to, but there are things that hold me back. Just this week, a couple of nice men from the local baptist church stopped to invite us to Easter services. I'm tempted, but I know what I'm like.

If I went and liked the atmosphere, I'd probably start volunteering for a bunch of stuff...child care? Sure. Food pantry? Sure. Sunday school? Sure. I don't want to get involved. I'm retired. The next thing I know, I'd be hip deep in mud in someplace in Africa.
I'd encourage you to just go ... they invited you so you don't have to feel out of place. You know you're welcome and wanted there. But if you don't want to be too social at first, it's okay to slip in the back and leave right away...consider it a stepping-stone toward possibly resuming fellowship with believers after these many years.

The worst case scenario is you don't like it or decide you don't want to go back, in which case you lost 90 minutes of your life and nothing else and keep on trucking. Especially on Easter, if you don't fill out a guest card, it's unlikely anyone will track you down or bother you or anything like that. Worst case scenario you go, shake a few hands, don't like it, and don't go back.

The best case scenario is you feel at home and find greater fulfillment and closeness with God through worship. If you do, I'm sure you can set limits on your own level of involvement. I think it's worth the risk, right?

Old 03-28-2017, 12:08 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
I'd encourage you to just go ... they invited you so you don't have to feel out of place. You know you're welcome and wanted there. But if you don't want to be too social at first, it's okay to slip in the back and leave right away...consider it a stepping-stone toward possibly resuming fellowship with believers after these many years.

The worst case scenario is you don't like it or decide you don't want to go back, in which case you lost 90 minutes of your life and nothing else and keep on trucking. Especially on Easter, if you don't fill out a guest card, it's unlikely anyone will track you down or bother you or anything like that. Worst case scenario you go, shake a few hands, don't like it, and don't go back.

The best case scenario is you feel at home and find greater fulfillment and closeness with God through worship. If you do, I'm sure you can set limits on your own level of involvement. I think it's worth the risk, right?

good response. ultimately nobody can "force" us to do anything even if we are " official members" of a particular church or congregation----it's ultimately up to our free will, conscience, and perhaps the guidance of the Holy Spirit as to how much of our time and efforts are used in public co-operation with a group for the love of God and neighbor. God wants us to be His good servants by acts of charity and forgiveness to others but they can be as a private individual at your own choosing as to when and how.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:23 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Let me count the ways.....
I was raised in a traditional northern baptist church. My father was episcopal and my mother was Lutheran. I am good with God, and believe in the power of prayer, yet I haven't attended church for 50 years.

Sometimes I think I want to, but there are things that hold me back. Just this week, a couple of nice men from the local baptist church stopped to invite us to Easter services. I'm tempted, but I know what I'm like.

If I went and liked the atmosphere, I'd probably start volunteering for a bunch of stuff...child care? Sure. Food pantry? Sure. Sunday school? Sure. I don't want to get involved. I'm retired. The next thing I know, I'd be hip deep in mud in someplace in Africa.
If you're retired, surely you have a time to volunteer for one ministry, whether it's in a church or not. What is your spiritual gift? What is your passion? Figure that out and go to work for the Lord.

Old 03-28-2017, 03:51 PM

1,867 posts, read 1,524,840 times
Default 50 Things That Depend If You Join A Ministry ?

Are they helping you live out Amos 3:3 if you expose John 3:5 and say water baptism is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out 2 Cor. 6 if you expose Hebrews 4 and say Sabbath rest is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Psalms 133:1 if you expose 2 Timothy 3:16 and say all the bible for application is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Matthew 7:6 if you expose 1 Peter 3:3 and say jewelry wearing is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Matthew 15:14 if you expose 1 Cor. 11 and say long hair on men is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out John 17:21 if you expose Romans 7:2-3 and say marriage to married people is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out 1 Thess. 5:12 if you expose 1 Cor. 14 and say unruly tongues is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Colossians 2:8 if you expose Proverbs 20:1 and say Budweiser is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Psalms 1 if you expose 1 Timothy 2:9-14 and say woman pastors is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Hebrews 13:9 if you expose Romans 12:17 and say gun rights like the world will always be a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Ephesians 4:14 if you expose John 17:9 and say prayer for unbelievers will always be a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Titus 3:10 if you expose John 5:39 and say confirmation is always a heaven or hell matter in God ?

That's a good start towards 50.

Old 03-28-2017, 04:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytonytony View Post
Are they helping you live out Amos 3:3 if you expose John 3:5 and say water baptism is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out 2 Cor. 6 if you expose Hebrews 4 and say Sabbath rest is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Psalms 133:1 if you expose 2 Timothy 3:16 and say all the bible for application is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Matthew 7:6 if you expose 1 Peter 3:3 and say jewelry wearing is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Matthew 15:14 if you expose 1 Cor. 11 and say long hair on men is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out John 17:21 if you expose Romans 7:2-3 and say marriage to married people is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out 1 Thess. 5:12 if you expose 1 Cor. 14 and say unruly tongues is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Colossians 2:8 if you expose Proverbs 20:1 and say Budweiser is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Psalms 1 if you expose 1 Timothy 2:9-14 and say woman pastors is always a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Hebrews 13:9 if you expose Romans 12:17 and say gun rights like the world will always be a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Ephesians 4:14 if you expose John 17:9 and say prayer for unbelievers will always be a heaven or hell matter ?

Are they helping you live out Titus 3:10 if you expose John 5:39 and say confirmation is always a heaven or hell matter in God ?

That's a good start towards 50.

^^^
THIS
Why I don't attend church:

Old 03-28-2017, 05:05 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I suppose that depends on the church. I'm not sure why people insist on mindlessly trying to shove all Christian denominations into the same box. It's weird.
It hardly makes a difference if you are not willing to make a commitment to ANY church, does it?

Old 03-29-2017, 08:36 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graytabbie View Post
If you went and liked the service/people/etc, then good. If you are asked to get involved in things and you don't want to, just say you're not interested/ready/etc, or no not yet.
It is not that I have trouble saying no, I don't. It's more like, if I'm in, I'm all in. I don't like to just be a bump on a pew. If I go to a church, I will want to help by contributing, not just taking.

Old 03-29-2017, 12:55 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
It is not that I have trouble saying no, I don't. It's more like, if I'm in, I'm all in. I don't like to just be a bump on a pew. If I go to a church, I will want to help by contributing, not just taking.
Sounds like a good thing to me! I would encourage you to please go. To me, it really sounds like you may be ready for this and may feel right at home.

If you end up getting involved and making friends over time, that's nothing to be upset about. But for now I would say just focus on going to church and enjoying that experience. If you stick around and attend the church regularly, then the time will come for contemplating how you can help out. For now I would say, just go in and sit down and don't worry about all the what-if's just yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity