Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:41 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsdaleMark View Post
Sounds like a good thing to me! I would encourage you to please go. To me, it really sounds like you may be ready for this and may feel right at home.

If you end up getting involved and making friends over time, that's nothing to be upset about. But for now I would say just focus on going to church and enjoying that experience. If you stick around and attend the church regularly, then the time will come for contemplating how you can help out. For now I would say, just go in and sit down and don't worry about all the what-if's just yet.
I don't know if other churches do this, but my church requires a 6 month "testing" period before members can be involved in ministry. We also require a background check on anyone working with kids, whch takes time to process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I don't know if other churches do this, but my church requires a 6 month "testing" period before members can be involved in ministry. We also require a background check on anyone working with kids, whch takes time to process.
Ooh, sounds so touchy feely. I understand though, in this day and age how that would be necessary.

As An example of the way I get sucked into things, and also why I understand....

I responded to a plea for volunteers in my community. The Lions Club was looking for folks to volunteer at the elementary schools, to read to kindergartens and tutor second graders. I'm a mother and grandmother and I missed being around children, and I can read. Simple, right? No.

Since you can't just waltz into a school anymore and volunteer because you have a willing spirit, you must be affiliated, lest you be a random pervert. Next thing I knew, I'm paying the annual membership fee to the Lions Club, in order to volunteer my time at the school. Now, I get nagged to go to meetings, no, and volunteer for everything else they have going on, no. I'm in charge of one other thing now, so I don't want to do anything else...all because I wanted to read stories to a kindergarten.

Now, do you see why I don't want to join a church.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Background check is understandable..But a "testing" period? Does the church not "pray" if this be a good person? Since when has Jesus required people "prove" themselves through works?

Old 03-30-2017, 10:27 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ooh, sounds so touchy feely. I understand though, in this day and age how that would be necessary.

As An example of the way I get sucked into things, and also why I understand....

I responded to a plea for volunteers in my community. The Lions Club was looking for folks to volunteer at the elementary schools, to read to kindergartens and tutor second graders. I'm a mother and grandmother and I missed being around children, and I can read. Simple, right? No.

Since you can't just waltz into a school anymore and volunteer because you have a willing spirit, you must be affiliated, lest you be a random pervert. Next thing I knew, I'm paying the annual membership fee to the Lions Club, in order to volunteer my time at the school. Now, I get nagged to go to meetings, no, and volunteer for everything else they have going on, no. I'm in charge of one other thing now, so I don't want to do anything else...all because I wanted to read stories to a kindergarten.

Now, do you see why I don't want to join a church.
It's a different day, friend. I am a retired school teacher. Security is tight around the schools, which is understandable, with the many school shootings we've experienced.

Honestly, I don't understand your problem with church. Find a church you like, get involved with a ministry and say no to the rest. Understand you may have to jump through some hoops, whether it's for security or just church procedure.

Personally, I can't imagine life without my church family. They are the dearest friends I have. Just my opinion...

Old 03-30-2017, 11:23 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,112,089 times
Many people may have legitimate reasons to not attend. I suspect that the main reason is that they don't want to hear anything that may cause them to feel "conviction". People will go to extreme lengths in order to not face up to themselves in Gods light, and avoid the difficulty of trying to change by admitting they have been wrong.

Old 03-30-2017, 11:24 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
It's a different day, friend. I am a retired school teacher. Security is tight around the schools, which is understandable, with the many school shootings we've experienced.

Honestly, I don't understand your problem with church. Find a church you like, get involved with a ministry and say no to the rest. Understand you may have to jump through some hoops, whether it's for security or just church procedure.

Personally, I can't imagine life without my church family. They are the dearest friends I have. Just my opinion...
WELL worth repeating

Old 03-30-2017, 11:41 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,367,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Many people may have legitimate reasons to not attend. I suspect that the main reason is that they don't want to hear anything that may cause them to feel "conviction". People will go to extreme lengths in order to not face up to themselves in Gods light, and avoid the difficulty of trying to change by admitting they have been wrong.
Good post. Indeed one of the reasons I do go to church is to feel convicted. There's something about worshipping as part of a church and focusing 100% on God for a couple hours and praying and singing in worship and hearing a good teaching message, and especially taking Communion ... I believe it just helps the believer center and get back in more of a right relationship with God.

When I get out there in the world too much I can get off my moorings and think and act too worldly sometimes. Coming together with the church helps me refocus and also worship as the Bible instructs us to do, which is a joy in itself.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:35 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post

^^^
THIS
Why I don't attend church:
Yes. This will surely make her run the other way.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:48 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let me count the ways.....
I was raised in a traditional northern baptist church. My father was episcopal and my mother was Lutheran. I am good with God, and believe in the power of prayer, yet I haven't attended church for 50 years.

Sometimes I think I want to, but there are things that hold me back. Just this week, a couple of nice men from the local baptist church stopped to invite us to Easter services. I'm tempted, but I know what I'm like.

If I went and liked the atmosphere, I'd probably start volunteering for a bunch of stuff...child care? Sure. Food pantry? Sure. Sunday school? Sure. I don't want to get involved. I'm retired. The next thing I know, I'd be hip deep in mud in someplace in Africa.
OK. The fact that you posted here, tells me that you are thinking about it.

Easter services are usually beautiful and moving at any church. You might enjoy the music.

Between being a "pew warmer" and finding yourself "hip deep in mud in Africa" you can volunteer on your terms. I know you like to cook. Attending a pot luck, or taking a meal to a sick congregation member might appeal to you.

Check out the church web site. Most churches have one now.

What type of Baptist is it? Northern Baptist (American Baptist) which is prevalent in New England and most northern states, is a lot different from Southern Baptist or Independent Fundamentalist Baptist.
The latter are very strict and may not be what you are used to, since you attended a northern church.

Old 04-01-2017, 05:55 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,968,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Background check is understandable..But a "testing" period? Does the church not "pray" if this be a good person? Since when has Jesus required people "prove" themselves through works?
There are works of the flesh ( physical ) as mentioned at Galatians 5:19-21
Then, there are spiritual works ( morality ) mentioned as the cultivated collective fruit of God's spirit - Galatians 5:22-23.
Jesus worked according to Luke 4:43: John 5:17, and Jesus gave his followers a spiritual work to do at Acts 1:8 and Matthew 24:14 to tell others about the good news ( gospel ) about God's kingdom of Daniel 2:44.
That proclaiming about God's kingdom government is now proclaimed on a vast international scale as never before in history. Also, Jesus' half-brother James wrote that faith without works is dead at James 2:26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity