Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:58 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,378,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
There are many good reasons not to attend a church. The main one is that they usually insist that you believe everything they teach and often try to find ways to make you feel that without them, you are without God. There are too many people in church who are confused about God and his true character. They will want you to join and become a paying member. Etc...
These are excuses, not reasons. You are making an excuse based on how you feel that other people expect you to behave.

In other words, imagine entering a library, having being told all your life that the librarians expect perfect silence. You have Tourette's. You expect to be thrown out based on this information. Too bad this information is bogus.

Silence is not so golden in the modern library

Are there churches with small-minded people? Yes. But you have the option of shopping around. If your church seems too mercenary, screw them and pick another one.

Many churches do NOT have a tight doctrine, and do not demand membership dues. I have been at my church for several years and still am like "I'm not being a member (mainly because whenever I do become a member at a church, it seems like something messes up and we have to move)."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM

6,843 posts, read 2,864,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
There are many good reasons not to attend a church. The main one is that they usually insist that you believe everything they teach and often try to find ways to make you feel that without them, you are without God. There are too many people in church who are confused about God and his true character. They will want you to join and become a paying member. Etc...
One of the things I love most about my church is that we all know we don't have to agree on everything to love Christ, and seek to know Him more intimately, and that we don't let those disagreements come between us and divide us. The more I engage with other Christians here, the more I realize how exceedingly rare that is, that saddens me.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:36 PM

88,894 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
One of the things I love most about my church is that we all know we don't have to agree on everything to love Christ, and seek to know Him more intimately, and that we don't let those disagreements come between us and divide us. The more I engage with other Christians here, the more I realize how exceedingly rare that is, that saddens me.
That is how it is in real life for me, too. I would not attend any other type of church.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:21 PM

64,086 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
I've been in both camps. Beyond that, as many as are led by the Spirit are the sons of G-d. Peace
Yes, but make sure you are being led by the Holy Spirit of Agape (Who IS God). That is the key.

Old 06-24-2017, 04:02 PM

20,465 posts, read 12,862,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I belng to a mega-church. With that many prople, I guarantee not everyone agrees on everything, especially politically. We do tell our new members our basic, core beliefs, before they join. I can't imagine someone joining if they disagreed with those basics. Maybe, but that's on them if so.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is how it is in real life for me, too. I would not attend any other type of church.
Me either.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I belng to a mega-church. With that many prople, I guarantee not everyone agrees on everything, especially politically. We do tell our new members our basic, core beliefs, before they join. I can't imagine someone joining if they disagreed with those basics. Maybe, but that's on them if so.
We do agree on the basics. But not everything.

For example, because I am trans and a lesbian, there are some in my church who are uncomfortable with me there, but my pastor won't allow me to be pushed out or marginalized, and is working toward a bigger place at the table for me, so I can do more to serve, and to foster more understanding.

There about 200-ish people that go to ours. We don't have membership in the traditional sense, because we all believe we are all part of the body of Christ, so for us membership in the church would be redundant.

Edit to add: Liberalism is an idea, it can't be defeated.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:42 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,378,189 times
I can defeat liberalism easily, by exposing it as a fraud.

Dinesh D'Souza: The secret history of the Democratic Party | Fox News

Essentially, the liberals are not the LGBT/woman/black-friendly people you come to believe. They just use people to get elected. Who defended the victims of Orlando? Wasn't Hillary. (Gasp) it was Trump.

Memo to the LGBT community: Donald Trump is not your enemy | TheHill

I am also trans and lesbian, btw. But I go to a (relatively) conservative church, voted conservative. After I got completely jaded about Hillary. Oddly, I voted initially for Hillary in the polls. In the span of time from the polls to the election, I learned better.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:36 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,493,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
]
I am also trans and lesbian, btw. But I go to a (relatively) conservative church, voted conservative. After I got completely jaded about Hillary. Oddly, I voted initially for Hillary in the polls. In the span of time from the polls to the election, I learned better.
Which proves my point that hip, modern, non-denominational (at first glance, sometimes) Evangelical Christian Megachurches are nothing but GOP meetinghouses/indoctrination centers. Not a real church, just masquerading as one!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 AM

88,894 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I can defeat liberalism easily, by exposing it as a fraud.

Dinesh D'Souza: The secret history of the Democratic Party | Fox News

Essentially, the liberals are not the LGBT/woman/black-friendly people you come to believe. They just use people to get elected. Who defended the victims of Orlando? Wasn't Hillary. (Gasp) it was Trump.

Memo to the LGBT community: Donald Trump is not your enemy | TheHill

I don't think geekigurl, and certainly not I, mean "Democrat" when we refer to ourselves as being liberal Christians. It has nothing to do with political party affiliation.

Personally, I see both parties as two sides of the same box, and I think the box needs to be crushed and recycled. But that's not for this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity