Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 04:36 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times

Advertisements

I have asked this question at a couple of websites and never gotten a good answer. I might as well go for it here. It isn't actually a Bible passage, per se, but I have often heard the term "Jesus died for your sins". For years this proclamation has perplexed me. How did Jesus's death have any effect on my sins? If Jesus had lived to a ripe old age and died of a heart attack, how would my sins be any different today in any real, discernable way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 04:43 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
I have asked this question at a couple of websites and never gotten a good answer. I might as well go for it here. It isn't actually a Bible passage, per se, but I have often heard the term "Jesus died for your sins". For years this proclamation has perplexed me. How did Jesus's death have any effect on my sins? If Jesus had lived to a ripe old age and died of a heart attack, how would my sins be any different today in any real, discernable way?
https://www.gotquestions.org/Jesus-d...-our-sins.html

Old 04-25-2017, 04:56 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
It was an act of love to demonstrate nothing not even our sin can separate us from the love of God. The true message is we have always been loved of God, it didn't begin when he was nailed to the cross. The cross began convincing us that we have always been loved.

The LORD appeared of old to me, saying, I HAVE(always) loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with loving-kindness have I drawn thee.

If i be lifted up i will draw all men unto me

Old 04-25-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Thanks. I think that is as good an answer as I am going to get. It is still based on the interpretations of various Bible passages and then apply those interpretations to Jesus's crucifixion.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:01 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,304,565 times
A very popular interpretation, at that.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
It is called a ransom. Adam cost us our lives by his actions. Jesus bought back the lives of those who believe in and follow him. He paid the price to buy us back.

Jesus words:

Matthew 20:28 28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Two things.

1. A ransom
2. For the many not everyone.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I think that is as good an answer as I am going to get. It is still based on the interpretations of various Bible passages and then apply those interpretations to Jesus's crucifixion.
That is the understanding of traditional Christianity.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is called a ransom. Adam cost us our lives by his actions. Jesus bought back the lives of those who believe in and follow him. He paid the price to buy us back.

Jesus words:

Matthew 20:28 28 Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Two things.

1. A ransom
2. For the many not everyone.
As an atheist, your answer is the kind that can trigger a long debate. It would being with: So, God thinks every person who ever lived, and ever will live is as impulsive as Adam so that one guy screws up and everyone gets punished? (It kind of has a Noah's ark-style morality to it.) A secondary debate might be the validity of the Biblical character Adam, given the scientific finding of human evolution.

Old 04-25-2017, 05:20 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,027,034 times
Quote:
Because if Jesus died of a heart attack instead of fulfilling the prophecy, then God wouldn't have blotted out your sins (if you belong to him).

In Hebrews there were animal sacrifices which were done away with due to Jesus sacrifice on the Cross.

An accidental heart attack is not a sacrifice for mankind.

Blood for Blood or there is no forgiveness of sins

IN the verse below, the priest referred to is Jesus

Leviticus 4:35 And all its fat he shall remove cast the fat of the lamb is removed from the sacrifice of peace offerings, and the priest shall burn it on the altar, on top of the Lord’s food offerings. dAnd the priest shall make atonement for him for the sin which he has committed, and he shall be forgiven

Hebrews 9:22
Indeed, under the law almost everything is purified with blood, and fwithout the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins

Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
As an atheist, your answer is the kind that can trigger a long debate. It would being with: So, God thinks every person who ever lived, and ever will live is as impulsive as Adam so that one guy screws up and everyone gets punished? (It kind of has a Noah's ark-style morality to it.) A secondary debate might be the validity of the Biblical character Adam, given the scientific finding of human evolution.
We sin by nature (Adam) and by choice (personal). You cannot deny that we humans have a tendency to screw up and we do it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity