Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times

Advertisements

As a poster said in one of these threads...they were the key
in some stories in Luke 15...like in the story of the Prodigal son and others.
Humility and Repentance...he said.
Now, don't get me wrong, I love humility, nothing wrong with remorse that I did something wrong
and say to myself, 'I won't do that again', thus, learning the lesson and moving on.
They are great things.

But, among the many stories and parables that Jesus told..I personally 'get' something different.
And, as a simple human being...someone I love...does not need humility or repentance
for me to love them or forgive them.
THIS is key:
If I am just 'me'....just think of the unconditional love God the Father has for us...

I say to you... your humility and repentance are great...but they are not 'the key'....
God's Love is...period.
At that is what I 'get' from Jesus' stories and parables...boundless love
with no logic or reason. ....open to it, realize it...that is what I 'get'.
Humility and repentance then are naturally present, taking a backseat...and become small
next to His Love....and opening to it like a child.

Last edited by Miss Hepburn; 07-09-2017 at 01:19 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 02:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
I say nix the "repentance" and stick with humility..

Mercy, Justice and to walk humbly with the Lord--THIS IS WHAT HE REQUIRES OF US...MICAH 6:8

Old 07-09-2017, 03:10 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Still Jesus said from Luke 13:2-5........``Suppose you that these Galileans were sinners above all the Galileans , because they suffered such things? I tell you NAY , but except you repent you will all likewise perish ......Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell , and slew them, think you that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? ...I tell you, NAY, but , except you repent, you will all likewise perish ..`` .....................See people today may water down the calling of Jesus Christ who is our Redeemer because of the liberal rejection of getting away with it is Okay ... But the Living God is Not the liberal spirit of the world , where leviathan the beast is the liberal spirit of the world

Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Now, don't get me wrong, I love humility, nothing wrong with remorse that I did something wrong
and say to myself, 'I won't do that again', thus, learning the lesson and moving on.
They are great things.

But, among the many stories and parables that Jesus told..I personally 'get' something different.
And, as a simple human being...someone I love...does not need humility or repentance
THIS is key:
If I am just 'me'....just think of the unconditional love God the Father has for us...

I say to you... your humility and repentance are great...but they are not 'the key'....
God's Love is...period.
Humility and repentance then are naturally present, taking a backseat...and become small
Great post. And I agree about what the key is.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Well, repenting for missing the mark?...and what is the mark?
God's love.
I know others may not agree; they may think obedience is the mark...or something else....
they may have a long list of things.
I say experiencing, opening to, responding to, feeling, accepting,
allowing, trusting in, relying upon, realizing GOD'S LOVE....that is the mark...Him, an intimate relationship
with Him personally.

Then, doing His will comes naturally...and what is His Will?...loving him and letting him love you.
another way to put it?...
Seek the Kingdom of God first and all else will fall into place.
And what is His kingdom?...love, more than can be imagined....not obedience, repentance and humility as the mark...they come naturally....
walking to the Throne boldly with knowledge of who you are and God... those other things are secondary
natural occurrences.

Jesus was often talking to idiots...Like parents saying to children, "Now Billy, say your sorry to Suzy...".(So, Jesus was not wrong in telling those that...)
To those that could get it, he said....'Seek the Kingdom first'...those were the smart ones
that had a clue...'Give me your burdens...you may ask me for anything...until now you have not asked'...and so on....to the ones that could hear that.

If humility and repentance are the main deal...well...you're still in the sandbox
having to say you're sorry to Suzy.*

There's milk when you're children and there's meat when you grow up.
Love is the whole meal.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:30 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Still Jesus said from Luke 13:2-5........``Suppose you that these Galileans were sinners above all the Galileans , because they suffered such things? I tell you NAY , but except you repent you will all likewise perish ......Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell , and slew them, think you that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem? ...I tell you, NAY, but , except you repent, you will all likewise perish ..`` .....................See people today may water down the calling of Jesus Christ who is our Redeemer because of the liberal rejection of getting away with it is Okay ... But the Living God is Not the liberal spirit of the world , where leviathan the beast is the liberal spirit of the world
Nice!

repentance is the henge on the gate to the narrow path. the place were two worlds combine.. with out it we are not getting in.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:03 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,718 times
Quote:
God's love.
I know others may not agree; they may think obedience is the mark...or something else....
allowing, trusting in, relying upon, realizing GOD'S LOVE....that is the mark...Him, an intimate relationship
with Him personally.

Then, doing His will comes naturally...and what is His Will?...loving him and letting him love you.
And what is His kingdom?...love, more than can be imagined....not obedience, repentance and humility as the mark...they come naturally....
walking to the Throne boldly with knowledge of who you are and God... those other things are secondary
natural occurrences.

Jesus was often talking to idiots...Like parents saying to children, "Now Billy, say your sorry to Suzy...".(So, Jesus was not wrong in telling those that...)
To those that could get it, he said....'Seek the Kingdom first'...those were the smart ones
that had a clue...'Give me your burdens...you may ask me for anything...until now you have not asked'...and so on....to the ones that could hear that.

If humility and repentance are the main deal...well...you're still in the sandbox

Love is the whole meal.

since sin is death and you are busy playing with it.. let 's put this story into terms you might get..
if your children brought you some road kill and other things like dead stinky dead skunk, one stinkin of death and plan old skunk stink and every time they came to your home and no matter what you told them they would say that they won't do it again .but yet there when they leave is the dead stinky skunk and some other road kill left at your front door !

Now your neighbors are starting to want you out of the neighborhood because of your rotten family sickening habits that they must think is just too cute...
And so now the whole neighborhoods dogs and cats now stink like skunk and your getting dog washing services bills from all those irate neighbors to have their dogs washed by professionals and their furniture cleaned and others are just having to go to the doctors for allergy to skunk stink. eyes watering and such .
Plus the professional Dog washers are also hiking the price of their services because the Dogs are so rotten smelling and all because the dogs stink so bad . But your family has not really repented of it's rotten and rotting habits that for now they refuse to repent from .
OH SO after a while you would make your family repent and mean it , and if they did that but didn't mean it .. you would make sure they never came to your house again, you might meet them at their house so the dead skunks and other road kill and filth and disease that comes from dead rotting bodies can stay there. . and you would have to make them repent and mean it , or you will come home to your neighbors have burned your skunk stinking house down.

you don't see sin for it is and what it cost you and others..... sewer and cesspools aren't close enough to that reality of what our sin is to us and others around us . now you don't think of anyone needs to repent .. but sin is stinky skunk and is a stinky rotten dead skunk and everyone knows how bad that really is and how it spreads so easy until their is nothing left of your ability to define smells ( truth ),
maybe because sin yours or others has and can singe your brains sensors .

to your family real love repents and means it .
and Loving your neighbors as yourself means make sure your unrepentant brats don't dirty their houses too or you must pray for it . so do what must be done . that is our Job as christians.. to keep the peace and treat others as you want to be treated. that kind of LOVE means stop the unrepentant offenders one way or the other.. because sin doesn't just effect you but all who are around you too .

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 07-09-2017 at 05:20 PM..

Old 07-09-2017, 05:10 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,312,904 times
Quote:
They are great things.

THIS is key:

God's Love is...period.
You and Pleroo have such great insight.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:15 PM

15,864 posts, read 6,337,059 times
Quote:
God's love.

with Him personally.

natural occurrences.

Love is the whole meal.

In my group the mark was perfection. So when they say we all miss the mark they are saying no one is perfect. Every mistake you make is poof of your sin and death is proof of sin because if you were perfect you wouldn't die. So basically being human is sin unless God grants you something. I never understood why perfection should be my gold standard but I felt ashamed to be human nonetheless.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:36 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
since sin is death and you are busy playing with it.. let 's put this story into terms you might get..
if your children brought you some road kill and other things like dead stinky dead skunk, one stinkin of death and plan old skunk stink and every time they came to your home and no matter what you told them they would say that they won't do it again .but yet there when they leave is the dead stinky skunk and some other road kill left at your front door !

Now your neighbors are starting to want you out of the neighborhood because of your rotten family sickening habits that they must think is just too cute...
And so now the whole neighborhoods dogs and cats now stink like skunk and your getting dog washing services bills from all those irate neighbors to have their dogs washed by professionals and their furniture cleaned and others are just having to go to the doctors for allergy to skunk stink. eyes watering and such .
Plus the professional Dog washers are also hiking the price of their services because the Dogs are so rotten smelling and all because the dogs stink so bad . But your family has not really repented of it's rotten and rotting habits that for now they refuse to repent from .
OH SO after a while you would make your family repent and mean it , and if they did that but didn't mean it .. you would make sure they never came to your house again, you might meet them at their house so the dead skunks and other road kill and filth and disease that comes from dead rotting bodies can stay there. . and you would have to make them repent and mean it , or you will come home to your neighbors have burned your skunk stinking house down.

you don't see sin for it is and what it cost you and others..... sewer and cesspools aren't close enough to that reality of what our sin is to us and others around us . now you don't think of anyone needs to repent .. but sin is stinky skunk and is a stinky rotten dead skunk and everyone knows how bad that really is and how it spreads so easy until their is nothing left of your ability to define smells ( truth ),
maybe because sin yours or others has and can singe your brains sensors .

to your family real love repents and means it .
and Loving your neighbors as yourself means make sure your unrepentant brats don't dirty their houses too or you must pray for it . so do what must be done . that is our Job as christians.. to keep the peace and treat others as you want to be treated. that kind of LOVE means stop the unrepentant offenders one way or the other.. because sin doesn't just effect you but all who are around you too .
This is very good.

I doubt anyone would truly forgive someone who hurt them and then was arrogant about it and kept doing it.

Humility is admitting your error and repentance is ceasing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity