Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 07:31 AM

709 posts, read 378,181 times

Advertisements

1.If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am become sounding brass, or a clanging cymbal. 2. And if I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. (1 Cor. 13:1-2)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,947,319 times
Wonderful. Also, the first fruit of the Spirit written in Galatians 5:21 is love.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:02 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Thank you. That sure covers a lot!
Imagine the faith to move mountains, but with no love...you're nothing.
It just says so much.
So how do we 'have' love? It can't just be manufactured? It can't just be mustered up?
Real, tangible love...how do we 'have' it?
(I mean, I'm not asking for me...just food for thought. Because I know so many
do not have or feel love....they have a lot of other stuff...intellect, knowledge, unhappiness,
struggle, fears...but love?
They are trying, but don't have it...and you can tell who these people are...so much
discontent inside.)
So how does one 'have' love? How does one receive the fruit of the Holy Spirit?

Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Charity or Love | Learn The Bible

Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So how does one 'have' love? How does one receive the fruit of the Holy Spirit?
GOOD question And pinacled's article is a help, but I think it is inportant to have an understanding of what love means to each of us, so I have boiled it down to an emotional commitment to an intellectual concept by saying that it is the vested concern for the well[being of everyone in any situation. Clearly there are going tobe some conflicts between what is good for one vs. what is good for another or even for the community as a whole, but as long as that well-being IS considered and weighed, sometimes alternative courses can be found, but best for all is the goal. What helps ME in what I can do along those lines is to reflect that this perception, this attitude really is the best way for each of us to have his needs met, and people who just don't follow it or even actively fight it are just mistaken in how to meet those need.

"Sin" is missing the mark and the mark is community.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:51 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,731,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
OH yes I loved that one.. and not a fluffy feeling to be seen.. because Love and charity isn't us making it about us.. it is us making it about others. and How does John recognize jesus is the Lord.. he says...
. Luk 7:22
Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.

now this is pure charity we will be judged by folks !!! .
Isa 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on me; because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the humble; he has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

. to Bind up the brokenhearted and to set the captives ( captive to sin and to hell and disease ) the real word is "free"!!! . what if That is y/our measurement to how much you "Love" or to not love ...is how much you leave them in their captivity.

who ever walks away from anyone in these conditions and has not prayed for them and has not fasted for them and leaves them like they are still bound and in their disease and in their sins . has no charity, and has NO LOVE at all!!! until they have prayed it through like it was their own bondage and their own disease and their own sins .. . just maybe.. maybe it never was about
"care" and maybe not ever about spreading "Nice" feelings or giving them fluffy feelings about their bondage or their disease , or their sins .
yes I like that word charity. Thanks Pin!
Now Lord give us more charity , more truth , so that everyone is set free from everything that keeps us bound up !!

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 08-15-2017 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 08:57 AM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Paul is using hyperbole to make his point in that passage.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
OH yes I loved that one.. and not a fluffy feeling to be seen.. because Love and charity isn't us making it about us.. it is us making it about others. and How does John recognize jesus is the Lord.. he says...
. Luk 7:22
Then Jesus answering said unto them, Go your way, and tell John what things ye have seen and heard; how that the blind see, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, to the poor the gospel is preached.
now this is pure charity we will be judged by folks !!! .
Isa 61:1
The Spirit of the Lord GOD is on me; because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the humble; he has sent me to bind up the broken-hearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

. to Bind up the brokenhearted and to set the captives ( captive to sin and to hell and disease ) the real word is "free"!!! . what if That is y/our measurement to how much you "Love" or to not love ...is how much you leave them in their captivity.

who ever walks away from anyone in these conditions and has not prayed for them and has not fasted for them and leaves them like they are still bound and in their disease and in their sins . has no charity, and has NO LOVE at all!!! until they have prayed it through like it was their own bondage and their own disease and their own sins .. . just maybe.. maybe it never was about
"care" and maybe not ever about spreading "Nice" feelings or giving them fluffy feelings about their bondage or their disease , or their sins .
yes I like that word charity. Thanks Pin!
Now Lord give us more charity , more truth , so that everyone is set free from everything that keeps us bound up !!

Amen. HIS love does not engender captivity to the flesh; HIS love sets free of every false idol, every false idea, every false motive of the heart, HIS love came to take us to the cross, to follow the Lamb wheresoever He goest, because THAT IS the sacrificial love of the Father that the Son displayed. And the fruit of the SPIRIT, are not formed in any individual without this root, no matter how many try to get there through the good works of the flesh and admiration from men. Peace

Last edited by Rbbi1; 08-15-2017 at 09:44 AM..

Old 08-15-2017, 10:44 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Charity is such wondrous Heavenly Gift to those that have received such.
And in response a person is so overwhelmed that they cant help but pour forth ten times the kindness a neighbor or family member shows them.

A little something I shared with han. yrs back.

factors, variables, exponentials, time.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:22 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
And what IS his point, DRob4JC? And what is it that you think is equally important?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity