Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 05:56 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Everyone is running towards religion for salvation, when we should all be running AWAY from RELIGION and towards the TRUTH...
Yes, we should run away from religion, and instead run to spirituality. Religion is man's crappy-ass attempt to catalog, quantify, and explain spiritual matters, and will never produce anything useful. Religion could never save a soul either, because it is of man. That's like fixing a car with mustard (using the wrong tools).

The universe wasn't made by man, and cannot be accurately and fully explained by man. That's why we need to access and commune with the spiritual realm. There we can find the truths of life, God, and the universe.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Actually it is the false religion that is in error , and not religion of Holy Spirit , which is truth , as God send Jesus , and then God send His Holy Spirit to who so believes in Jesus would be saved ........ See religion means ``again to connect `` so connect to God is what the Holy Spirit does correct
And God told you which are false?

Let's compare lists and see who is on your list that is not on mine?

Old 10-01-2017, 06:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Yes, we should run away from religion, and instead run to spirituality. Religion is man's crappy-ass attempt to catalog, quantify, and explain spiritual matters, and will never produce anything useful. Religion could never save a soul either, because it is of man. That's like fixing a car with mustard (using the wrong tools).

The universe wasn't made by man, and cannot be accurately and fully explained by man. That's why we need to access and commune with the spiritual realm. There we can find the truths of life, God, and the universe.
Agreed, exactly.
I sound like a broken record sometimes...but 'direct experience' over some idea,
opinion, concept or belief, ritual, ceremony, dogma, social obligation, or some
one else's interpretation any day.

Old 10-01-2017, 06:11 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,044,653 times
Why can't you have both? Peace

Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Why can't you have both?
That's like trying to appreciate and value junk food while eating a classic culinary dish by a renowned chef. If you're awake and paying attention, it makes no sense.

When one truly understands the depth and majesty of the spiritual realm, the two can be brought into perspective and clear view, and religion takes it's rightful low position. Religion depends on man to proliferate; spirituality - like the universe - doesn't.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-01-2017 at 11:02 AM..

Old 10-01-2017, 12:57 PM

63,812 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Agreed, exactly.
I sound like a broken record sometimes...but 'direct experience' over some idea,
opinion, concept or belief, ritual, ceremony, dogma, social obligation, or some
one else's interpretation any day.
As a beneficiary of personal experiences, I understand their power, Miss H., but the need to have some explanatory rationale is part and parcel of the human psyche. That is why I spent more than 4 decades in pursuit of an explanation using what we DO know.

Old 10-01-2017, 01:50 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
and IMHO and FWIW, the merciful and loving God ever seeks for us and calls to us (like the proverbial "good shepherd" seeking lost sheep) to come ever closer to Him in faith, hope, and love shown forth and proved by our subsequent SHARING that mercy and love bestowed on us by bestowing the same to others. think the traditional Christian belief is that God's free grace helps us to become ever more "in communion" with Him by becoming ever closer to our "neighbor"/our brothers and sisters both next door and throughout the world

Christianity is not "magic". it is not simply believing certain dogmas or saying certain words to somehow "save" you but instead of (always and only with God's help) actually transforming our thoughts and actions, hearts, souls, and minds, (being "born again", "becoming a new creation", being "reconciled to God") so that we are "in" God and God is "in" us through love of and service to that God AND our fellow "man". .

again, IMHO any beliefs professed, any festivals, Sabbaths, or Sundays now matter how rigorously and correctly observed, any words spoken no matter how profound, true, or holy they may be in and of themselves are likely not very useful to our salvation/union with God UNLESS through, with, and in His grace and help they are really put into practice and LIVED in love of others for love of God not in pride for our "election" or "predestination" but in gratitude for mercy and grace freely given.

in the peace and love of God in Christ through the Holy Spirit.
Hi George. I agree that God is always seeking and calling for us and that He wants us to draw near to Him and to love Him and to love our neighbor, and that He wants us to share the gospel or good news with others. I agree also that Christianity is a way of life. It's actually a supernatural way of life which cannot be executed in the energy of the flesh, but requires the supernatural enablement of God the Holy Spirit in order to live it. I further agree that the Christian life is not about observing the festivals and Sabbaths of Judaism. The Christian life actually has a moment by moment sabbath or rest into which the believer can enter at any time simply by believing the promises of God. We rest in Christ Jesus.

Having said that, I believe that a person becomes a Christian, becomes 'born again' or regenerated at the moment he accepts as true the proposition that Jesus died for our sins and that He rose again and therefore puts his faith in Christ Jesus for eternal life.

I believe that after having been saved by grace through faith alone in Christ alone, a person has to decide if he is going to advance spiritually in the Christian life or remain a spiritual infant. I see salvation as three phases.

The first phase being salvation or deliverance from the penalty of sin which is spiritual death which is separation from God. This happens at the moment a person simply trusts in the finished redemptive work of Jesus on the cross. I believe in the eternal security of the believer. That once having been saved from the penalty of sin he cannot lose his salvation.

The second phase is salvation or deliverance from the power of sin in the believer's life. This is the process of experiential sanctification in which the believer grows spiritually by learning and applying the word of God to his life under the filling ministry of the Holy Spirit. The spiritually growing believer will produce good works that are acceptable to God, and he will increase his capacity to love both God and other people.

And the third phase is salvation or deliverance from the presence of sin. Ultimately this takes place at the resurrection of the believer, though in another sense it takes place at the point of physical death when the believer separates from his mortal body and leaves the sin nature behind.

Sadly, most believers, although eternally saved, never make the effort to grow spiritually and therefore remain spiritual infants and even spend a great deal of time out of fellowship in a state of carnality.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times
I don't think many people believe that religion itself can save their souls, but many do seem to be of the opinion that correct beliefs can.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't think many people believe that religion itself can save their souls, but many do seem to be of the opinion that correct beliefs can.
Well said.

Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
As a beneficiary of personal experiences, I understand their power, Miss H., but the need to have some explanatory rationale is part and parcel of the human psyche. That is why I spent more than 4 decades in pursuit of an explanation using what we DO know.
I thought your ancestors were ignorant barbarian.

What could you have ever inherited when it comes to what, "we do know"?

If you haven't taken the Mark of the beast.

There is an Eternal amount of Wisdom to grow from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.