Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 01:38 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,509,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Who is BP?

Just take a look at this thread and you can see the response to me by you are full of the twisting. This thread, and the others that we've posted on the past 2 days. Look how you've twisted John 1, Romans 9.
Got to understand that as of late the self-righteous hypocrite' world is collapsing in front of our eyes.

Look what's happening,
  • the quoting Scripture against Scripture
  • shamelessly quoting Scripture only to have contempt for it otherwise
  • fortune tellers attempting to predict the end of the world and missing it
  • nearly everyday as of late hearing about some liberal news person \ entertainment personality \ politician being accused (and admitting to) sexual harassment.

It's no wonder that people who hate a certain group of people, making racist statement like of hating a "white" God are near uncontrollable while they pawn the mantra God is love ... (that's all folks! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2017, 01:38 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,054,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Well let's see, who should we believe, you or the Bible?

Isaiah 45:
[7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
[kjv]

If that is not plain enough, here is a direct translation from Hebrew.

Hebrew Interlinear Bible (OT)
Isa 45:7
I Yahweh and·there-is-no further one-forming light and·one-creating darkness one-makingdo well-being and·one-creating evil(רוע) I Yahweh one-makingdo all-of these

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineI...Tpdf/isa45.pdf
You should trust in what the text says. The proper translation of the word in Isaiah 45:7 is "calamity".

Old 11-22-2017, 01:40 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,354,677 times
Quote:
Proper exegesis is your worst nightmare, isn't it?

Read that in the ESV and it says "I make well-being and create calamity". The NASB says the same thing. I'd suggest a good translation, not whatever you pulled that from.

The Hebrew word for "evil" in Hebrew means many things. This particular instance means calamity, as in bad things, from the writer's perspective". It doesn't mean sinful things, or things against God's will.

Here is a great read on it, by someone far smarter than I am. I can look the verse up in the Hebrew, but this person elaborates very clearly:

https://www.gotquestions.org/Isaiah-45-7.html

Evil: (רוע) bad, evil, wicked, inferior, unkind, noxious

Calamity: (אָסוֹן) disaster, tragedy, catastrophe, calamity, accident
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.OgKiJNwJ1-E

Notice that these are two different words in Hebrew. If the author of Isaiah had intended to convey the concept of calamity, then he could have very specifically chosen the word calamity. But he did not. He chose to use the word "evil."(רוע)

Now let's look at a few more examples of the author of Isaiah using the word "evil."

Isa.1
[16] Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil;

Isa.3
[9] The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil;
unto themselves.

Isa.5
[20] Woe unto them that call evil; evil good, and good evil; evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Isa.7
[5] Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil; evil counsel against thee, saying,
[15] Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil;, and choose the good.
[16] For before the child shall know to refuse the evil;, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Now let's replace the word evil, with calamity.

Isa.1
[16] Wash you, make you clean; put away the calamity of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do calamity;

Isa.3
[9] The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded calamity unto themselves.

Isa.5
[20] Woe unto them that call calamity good, and good calamity; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

Isa.7
[5] Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken calamity counsel against thee, saying,
[15] Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the calamity, and choose the good.
[16] For before the child shall know to refuse the calamity, and choose the good, the land that thou abhorrest shall be forsaken of both her kings.

Where the author has very specifically used the word evil, then evil is very specifically what he meant. Not calamity.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times
Quote:
You should trust in what the text says. The proper translation of the word in Isaiah 45:7 is "calamity".
Why aren't christians in an uproar that there are so many bad translations of their holy book BFun?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:41 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
If endless punishment were true & victims of infanticide all go to heaven, then infanticide saves infants from any chance of growing up & going to endless torments or annihilation.

Should a loving parent, therefore, kill their infants before they reach an age at which God would hold them accountable?
starting if is wrong. after that make up anything you want.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Why aren't christians in an uproar that there are so many bad translations of their holy book BFun?
I am. But I get laughed at and told that I'm just a judgmental fundy.

Old 11-22-2017, 01:56 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,612,059 times
Quote:
I am. But I get laughed at and told that I'm just a judgmental fundy.
You should put as much effort in correcting it as you do bashing gays and abortion.

It is more important, isn't it BFun?

Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
You should put as much effort in correcting it as you do bashing gays and abortion.

It is more important, isn't it BFun?
Not sure I've really "bashed" either of those.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:07 PM

45,662 posts, read 27,282,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
lol, I have provided scripture references to rebuff every man made doctring that you believe. In fact i have quoted the scriptures that much to you, i could easily be mistaken for a fundamentalist.
That's funny... from the one who tells me to stop hiding behind Scripture.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:08 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,509,974 times
Quote:
maybe cause there isn't such as thing a "bad" translation to Christians ... just only to the self-righteous who have contempt for the Holy Bible does there seem to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity