Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 07:03 PM

3,084 posts, read 7,281,983 times

Advertisements

https://www.amazon.com/Positive-Thin...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I'm thinking about getting the book above. I would like to know how Christians on here feel about Reverend Norman Vincent's ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2017, 07:54 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,757,052 times
"positive thinking " i probably the second or maybe thirst most popular religion/philosophy in america..

Which has invaded it's grubby little handsof greed as a motive into both the church and society and it is really quite dangerous .. Because it demands political and public compliance and uniformity and but to powers in society in most cases , more so than any religion.
Just my take on it.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Status: "BAGA - Be a Great American: Expose far-right lies daily" (set 7 days ago)

11,315 posts, read 7,348,041 times
It's accepted by some, maybe many. I don't think it conflicts with the Bible. The book is less known now than in decades past. My grandmother, who was a Christian and a wonderful woman with a big heart, loved that book. She spread a lot of love and positivity, no doubt due to the book's teachings.

There's no need to smear it with greed and health/wealth gospel. It had nothing to do with that, which came along another 10-15 years later. This book is about being positive, and the healthy energy that comes from it, and healthiness that it does for the body (i.e. rejecting anger, hate, and negativity, that have been shown to have a poisoning effect on the body).

I can't see how you'd go wrong with a book like that. It'd probably help many these days.

Old 12-25-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
It's accepted by some, maybe many. I don't think it conflicts with the Bible. The book is less known now than in decades past. My grandmother, who was a Christian and a wonderful woman with a big heart, loved that book. She spread a lot of love and positivity, no doubt due to the book's teachings.

There's no need to smear it with greed and health/wealth gospel. It had nothing to do with that, which came along another 10-15 years later. This book is about being positive, and the healthy energy that comes from it, and healthiness that it does for the body (i.e. rejecting anger, hate, and negativity, that have been shown to have a poisoning effect on the body).

I can't see how you'd go wrong with a book like that. It'd probably help many these days.
I think that what Jesus says to the last church age.. who may or may not even find a need to wear his Bvd's or his hat either..

so it appears this church and this church age think it deserves something from HIM maybe?

it appears it is quite into a positive confession about how good it is.. when it don't appear to be good to him it seems. and it certainly isn't even pretty as a picture either..

Quote:
they claimed to be rich, blessed and self-sufficient. Perhaps they were rich in material things. But, spiritually, the Laodiceans were in a wretched, pitiful condition, made all the worse in that they could not see their need. This was a church filled with self-deceived hypocrites.
you think positivity is a good thing and I say any self-deceptions of any degree is quite dangerous right now as we approach the end of the ages.. espcially of you are convinced REV 3 is all true.. especially in this time before the coming of the Lord and the coming of the anti(christ)-ness of possibility no doubt..

Rev 3:14
¶
And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15
I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
Rev 3:17
Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18
I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
Rev 3:20

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Rev 3:21
To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.( ps he overcame by dying and tell the apostles that if they want to sit on his right or left that they have to die )
Rev 3:22
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

He tells all other churches to seek and knock ..but he has to knock on their door because they aint listening for him or his voice..

they don't even think they need his Bvd's ..
but they are so Positive about something.
so few will answer his knocking, so few overcome... that the few that do will sit with him on his throne..
he is counting a handful or so maybe .. ALL degrees of self-deception of the church and of this society are really toxic kinds of dangerous right now. we need his love which isn't positive feeling sometimes.. but only his truth sets us free.

JUst FYI folks. that is how I see it. but it is up to you..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 12-25-2017 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-26-2017, 04:03 AM

ON overcoming as Jesus describes it ... read DAN 7 for some hints as to what is before us .. inspite of everyone's
"positivity" and so called "Empathy", which we are told is because humanity is good now that it doesn't have religion ...

To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.( ps he overcame by dying and tell the apostles that if they want to sit on his right or left that they have to die )

he says here qhat overcome means for Laodicean church and probably all of them.... .. Mat 20:18
Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,
Mat 20:19
And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Mat 20:20
Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
Mat 20:21
And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22
But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Mat 20:24
And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.
Mat 20:25
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27
And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Overcoming isn't about saying the right prayer the right way..or some sort of possessiveness and "sending positive feelings". and very few in that church is going ot do is needed to be done .

Old 12-26-2017, 06:16 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,459,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
ON overcoming as Jesus describes it ... read DAN 7 for some hints as to what is before us .. inspite of everyone's
"positivity" and so called "Empathy", which we are told is because humanity is good now that it doesn't have religion ...

he says here qhat overcome means for Laodicean church and probably all of them.... .. Mat 20:18
Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,
Mat 20:19
And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Mat 20:20
Then came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
Mat 20:21
And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.
Mat 20:22
But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Mat 20:23
And he saith unto them, Ye shall drink indeed of my cup, and be baptized with the baptism that I am baptized with: but to sit on my right hand, and on my left, is not mine to give, but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared of my Father.
Mat 20:24
And when the ten heard it, they were moved with indignation against the two brethren.
Mat 20:25
But Jesus called them unto him, and said, Ye know that the princes of the Gentiles exercise dominion over them, and they that are great exercise authority upon them.
Mat 20:26
But it shall not be so among you: but whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister;
Mat 20:27
And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant:
Mat 20:28
Even as the Son of man came not to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

Overcoming isn't about saying the right prayer the right way..or some sort of possessiveness and "sending positive feelings". and very few in that church is going ot do is needed to be done .
Ok, So explain by the scriptures how you supposedly overcome and exactly what is it that you are overcoming?.

Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 AM

1,052 posts, read 820,128 times
You have been given Freewill so you can read whatever you want.

Old 12-26-2017, 08:45 AM

9,280 posts, read 4,903,989 times
I used to have a pastor who would say:
It is a good philosophy to live by,
but a bad one to die by.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
ok, so explain by the scriptures how you supposedly overcome and exactly what is it that you are overcoming?.
FIRST READ !
and I am not a Laodicea. so do you have reading and comprehension issues?

Jesus states clearly and then assures it is recorded too, just what it costs to sit with him on his throne.. maybe just for you ..
so maybe READ more, whine less !

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 12-26-2017 at 10:09 AM..

Old 12-26-2017, 10:29 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,459,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
FIRST READ !
and I am not a Laodicea. so do you have reading and comprehension issues?

Jesus states clearly and then assures it is recorded too, just what it costs to sit with him on his throne.. maybe just for you ..
so maybe READ more, whine less !
You obviously have a reading comprehension issue, i asked you a question and you responded with this BS.

This is the question i asked you

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Ok, So explain by the scriptures how you supposedly overcome and exactly what is it that you are overcoming?.
So just to help you with your reading comprehension issue.. I am asking YOU, how do YOU overcome and what is it that YOU are overcoming. Please back up your answer with the the scriptures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity