Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 09:19 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times

Advertisements

Are you like the world or like Jesus?

Romans 12
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
A lot of churches should heed and take note of these verses, if they have the guts to face the honesty. Many are more like the world than what Jesus intended. A thorough and intense housecleaning is needed.

Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 AM

1,259 posts, read 564,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Are you like the world or like Jesus?

Romans 12
1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
He (Jesus) is removing my worldly conformance, daily. Great verses. I think many don't realize that to love the world is to be aligned against Christ.

Old 02-22-2018, 04:26 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
What do you think it means to be like the world? I think of it as ego such as How am I doing especially in relation to other people? I don't think there is anyway to be more like "the world" than to try and be better than it. Consider the Pharisee of Luke 18: 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ To say that you are like Jesus and not like the world means you are "the world" in that scripture. "Who me, oh no...I'm no part of the world. Those people are vile and wicked. I strive to follow Jesus." Yeah, stop doing that.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times
Being conformed to this world, in my opinion, is to not having power over it. In other words....being "free" from it.

Being born into this world, innocent as ADAM, (Baby) and then becoming independent ... "as one of us"...via ..."the tree of knowledge of good and evil"... the world became our master under the burden of the law.

To be non-conformed to it prior to Christs coming was unattainable and no victory.

Only with the re-introduction of another tree..."the tree of life"...does mankind have hope and victory.

..."be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind"... is in the spiritual sense. The renewal of ones spirit. A rebirth that is of Jesus' Spirit can we be free from the burden of merit and into a work of love. Love proving things that are good, acceptable and in Gods perfect will.

In my younger years I tried being the most perfect person I could be, only to find out that I was lifting myself up so high, that I looked down on my neighbor to condemn them.
As a matter of fact I was further from the truth than I realized. In my zeal, to be a non-conformist godly person, I was actually condemning myself. Self-righteous.

I really wasn't free as I thought I was. I did learn from the school of hard knocks, as many religious people sometimes do, that love is the only perfect ingredient that sets us free.

It is Christ's Love that sets us free not ours. If free, than there is absolutely nothing in this world that can in-slave you again.

So, if your looking to be, via good works, a religious non-conformist, take it from me.....you won't make it.
But, if you learn just what Gods love is all about and understand it, your mind will be transformed to become free of any condemnation of others.

The love of God is beyond human imagination for many who cannot see God not condemning someone we think He should.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-22-2018, 05:27 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Being conformed to this world, in my opinion, is to not having power over it. In other words....being "free" from it.

Being born into this world, innocent as ADAM, (Baby) and then becoming independent ... "as one of us"...via ..."the tree of knowledge of good and evil"... the world became our master under the burden of the law.

To be non-conformed to it prior to Christs coming was unattainable and no victory.

Only with the re-introduction of another tree..."the tree of life"...does mankind have hope and victory.

..."be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind"... is in the spiritual sense. The renewal of ones spirit. A rebirth that is of Jesus' Spirit can we be free from the burden of merit and into a work of love. Love proving things that are good, acceptable and in Gods perfect will.

In my younger years I tried being the most perfect person I could be, only to find out that I was lifting myself up so high, that I looked down on my neighbor to condemn them.
As a matter of fact I was further from the truth than I realized. In my zeal, to be a non-conformist godly person, I was actually condemning myself. Self-righteous.

I really wasn't free as I thought I was. I did learn from the school of hard knocks, as many religious people sometimes do, that love is the only perfect ingredient that sets us free.

It is Christ's Love that sets us free not ours. If free, than there is absolutely nothing in this world that can in-slave you again.

So, if your looking to be, via good works, a religious non-conformist, take it from me.....you won't make it.
But, if you learn just what Gods love is all about and understand it, your mind will be transformed to become free of any condemnation of others.

The love of God is beyond human imagination for many who cannot see God not condemning someone we think He should.

Blessings, AJ
Can you explain what you mean by that?

Old 02-22-2018, 05:35 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Quote:
Not having power over the world is to be conformed to the world.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-22-2018, 05:39 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,728,570 times
Quote:
I think of it as ego such as How am I doing especially in relation to other people? I don't think there is anyway to be more like "the world" than to try and be better than it. [i]
and so you think that maybe Moses or Abraham or king David . even worried about accusing people of that? how many times did it even cross their mind to worry about ego or worry about what others thought about ego's.. .. maybe someone needs to drop you on the back side of some deserts someplace so you can find out just how often you worry about your ego or accusing anyone of it.

my guess is it only ever occurred maybe in Sodom just before it rained brimstone on them.

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 02-22-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 02-23-2018, 07:50 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
What do you think it means to be like the world? I think of it as ego such as How am I doing especially in relation to other people? I don't think there is anyway to be more like "the world" than to try and be better than it. Consider the Pharisee of Luke 18: 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ To say that you are like Jesus and not like the world means you are "the world" in that scripture. "Who me, oh no...I'm no part of the world. Those people are vile and wicked. I strive to follow Jesus." Yeah, stop doing that.
That is a great post, L8.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
How does one become great in the world? How does one become great in the kingdom of God?

World - people serve you.... God - you serve others

World - accumulate more.... God - give more

World - function by sight.... God - function by faith

World - seek popularity .... God - seek your heavenly Father in secret

It's a totally different operating system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity