Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,712,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The problem is not with science but with the notion of scriptural inerrancy. God created the universe. God created the mechanisms of how the universe developed over unimaginably long periods of time. If one sees the story of Adam and Eve as a figurative explanation of how mankind distanced itself from God, then there is no conflict between science and faith.

However, if we read the story of Adam and Eve as literal, all kinds of problems arise. Cain kills Abel, then skedaddles into the land of Nod where he meets his wife and they build a city. Where did she come from? Obviously, Cain's wife is not his sister or he would have known her as part of his family. And if they built a city, where did all its inhabitants come from? Not from the loins of Eve.

But if the creation story of Genesis is figurative, then there's no conflict between science and faith. Viewed through that lens, the creation narrative works pretty well, beginning with "Let there be light," describing the Big Bang, the formation of the earth, the sea, the growth of vegetation, and animals, culminating in the advent of man.

In short, DNA is scientific fact and it doesn't diminish God's glory one bit.

But you're touching on the chief problem with the belief in an inerrant Bible. Literalism requires that every single verse be precisely true. That's not faith. It's the precise opposite of faith. Instead, it's the requirement of proof.

This is why literalists must defend every syllable of the Bible, even the creation story, tooth and nail. Because if you pull a single thread out of the tapestry, their entire system of belief falls apart. Meanwhile, those who can read Genesis in context can see science as a verification of God's miraculous creation, not a threat to it.
This is precisely the way I see it. I do not have to discard my faith in God to believe in scientific facts, nor do I have any need to believe that the bible is the infallible (or even the only) words of God.

John 21:25 25 Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 02:08 PM

45,644 posts, read 27,260,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
I've been a Christian since a young child and was baptized at 31 and I believe in the bible and the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

My brother recently has questioned creation of Adam and eve and he thinks they came from a group of neandrathals that have DNA that is supposedly 99% related to human DNA.

What say you?
It takes faith to believe in either scenario.

I know those in the neanderthal wing poo-poo that sentiment because they throw a bunch of numbers and human wisdom at the issue - but no one was there. No one saw it occur. No one has seen a neanderthal turn into a human.

In the end - there is no first hand human testimony - except Adam who isn't here. You have to believe the testimony or science of someone else.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:49 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,130,996 times
I don't think its very important to be honest. Was just inquiring.

We will all know when we go to heaven.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:13 PM

10,503 posts, read 7,062,004 times
Quote:
I don't think its very important to be honest. Was just inquiring.

We will all know when we go to heaven.
This is true. And I bet we'll be surprised at some of the people we find there.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM

18,508 posts, read 9,183,958 times
There’s no way to harmonize science with conservative Christianity.

Conservative Christianity says that there was no death until about 6,000 to 10,000 years ago. The fossil record shows otherwise: death has been around as long as life has been around (about 2 billion years).

Old 03-22-2018, 01:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Sensible, intelligent, educated Christians understand that Genesis is allegorical and that evolution explains how we came to be members of the hominid family.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
It takes faith to believe in either scenario.

I know those in the neanderthal wing poo-poo that sentiment because they throw a bunch of numbers and human wisdom at the issue - but no one was there. No one saw it occur. No one has seen a neanderthal turn into a human.

In the end - there is no first hand human testimony - except Adam who isn't here. You have to believe the testimony or science of someone else.
Neanderthals WERE human. They are a branch of humanity that died out, although some obviously interbred with modern humans, because the DNA shows up in some.

How on earth do you think they weren't human? They hunted, they cooked, they made pottery and drums, they painted the walls of their caves, for God's sake.

Ever send flowers when someone died? The first people to bury their dead with flowers were Neanderthals, probably to send medicine with the dead to the next world.

Not sure how an adult living in this day and age doesn't know this.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:42 PM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Quote:
I've been a Christian since a young child and was baptized at 31 and I believe in the bible and the life, death and resurrection of Jesus.

My brother recently has questioned creation of Adam and eve and he thinks they came from a group of neandrathals that have DNA that is supposedly 99% related to human DNA.

What say you?
Another one. Geez.

Missed this first post.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Neanderthals WERE human. They are a branch of humanity that died out, although some obviously interbred with modern humans, because the DNA shows up in some.

How on earth do you think they weren't human? They hunted, they cooked, they made pottery and drums, they painted the walls of their caves, for God's sake.

Ever send flowers when someone died? The first people to bury their dead with flowers were Neanderthals, probably to send medicine with the dead to the next world.

Not sure how an adult living in this day and age doesn't know this.
Sadly, fundamentalists are not interested in what is true.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,392,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sadly, fundamentalists are not interested in what is true.
Ironically, they too will die out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity