Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 537,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
MEAT PUPPETS?

Oh my.

I want to use you as a character in a comedic screenplay. Then TD can buy everybody a round of popcorn.
Puppets. The evil one pulls on people’s strings and they danced and twirl to his amusement and delight. He tugs on one string and people commit horrible autrocities. He slightly tugs on another string and people think and say that Jesus is not God.

Puppets...made of meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 11:02 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Puppets. The evil one pulls on people’s strings and they danced and twirl to his amusement and delight. He tugs on one string and people commit horrible autrocities. He slightly tugs on another string and people think and say that Jesus is not God.

Puppets...made of meat.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
" There's no need to be afraid of the Bible. Let it be what it is. And to understand it you must understand it within the context of the Biblical writers. "

"A non-literal view of the creation accounts (and an acceptance of evolution) is not a weak or non-existent faith. Nor is it scoffing or mocking. It is rather an educated understanding of the time and culture in which the Bible was written."
Mike555!

Old 03-24-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
As the evolutionist Mark Ridley once said ‘In any case, no real evolutionist, whether gradualist or punctuationist, uses the fossil record as evidence in favor of the theory of evolution as opposed to special creation....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, evolutionary scientists do use fossils, as well as genetics as evidence for evolution. I hold the Bible in very high regard. But I'm not a hyper literalist. The Bible has many different genres, including mythos. I've already demonstrated that.
What you miss, Mike, and what narrow-minded creationists (as opposed to those with modified views) don't WANT you to catch is that the use of fossils does not "oppose" special creation understood as evolution used for the PROCESS. Synthesis is the bane of narrow minds.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:34 PM

33,240 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What you miss, Mike, and what narrow-minded creationists (as opposed to those with modified views) don't WANT you to catch is that the use of fossils does not "oppose" special creation understood as evolution used for the PROCESS. Synthesis is the bane of narrow minds.
I am not arguing against special creation in the least. I'm simply saying that the creation accounts in the Bible are not literally the way that God brought the Universe into existence. I believe that God is behind the creation of the Universe which according to the current scientific evidence is best explained by the so called 'big bang' which is actually a misnomer. I don't know if you ever go into the City-Data Science and Technology forum, but I commented on the Big Bang in the thread How could everything form in one big bang? in posts #4, 23, 31, and 39. Take a look. If you choose to comment over there though, you will have to leave religion out of it.

I don't find the idea that God set evolution into motion to be a problem either.

Old 03-24-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I am not arguing against special creation in the least. I'm simply saying that the creation accounts in the Bible are not literally the way that God brought the Universe into existence. I believe that God is behind the creation of the Universe which according to the current scientific evidence is best explained by the so called 'big bang' which is actually a misnomer. I don't know if you ever go into the City-Data Science and Technology forum, but I commented on the Big Bang in the thread How could everything form in one big bang? in posts #4, 23, 31, and 39. Take a look. If you choose to comment over there though, you will have to leave religion out of it.
I know that, Mike, I am merely pointing out the way in which hard-line literal creationists leave out information needed to understand the quote in context. It's a common subterfuge.

Old 03-24-2018, 02:47 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,495,513 times
Quote:
I am not arguing against special creation in the least. I'm simply saying that the creation accounts in the Bible are not literally the way that God brought the Universe into existence..
It's unfortunate that you have that opinion of God's Word.
Scripture is always true and truthful. (Numbers 23:19; John 17:17)
"All scripture is God breathed" ... that includes Genesis' literal account of creation.
God -- not ancient Hebrews -- is giving the account of events in the Genesis literal account of creation.

As God the Holy Spirit in the NT confirms creation:
Colossians 1:16
"For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, ... all things have been created through him and for him."

Revelation 4:11
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

Revelation 10:6
And he swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it, ... "
Since Rev 4:11\ Rev 10:6 \ Colossians 1:16 is true ... then what is one ultimately saying with an alternative theory other than believing God's account found in Genesis of his work of his literal creation?

Old 03-24-2018, 02:53 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
" There's no need to be afraid of the Bible. Let it be what it is. And to understand it you must understand it within the context of the Biblical writers. "

"A non-literal view of the creation accounts (and an acceptance of evolution) is not a weak or non-existent faith. Nor is it scoffing or mocking. It is rather an educated understanding of the time and culture in which the Bible was written."
Mike555!
Yes, I agree that the creation account is not literal.... however I think it is prophetic (as well as the bulk of the scriptures)

It’s like we have a chicken/egg situation, God creates what is from what is not. “Israel” does not have any archeological evidence king David, Solomon, exodus from Egypt, Noah’s ark, Jonah and the whale, all things that are miraculous are not to be taken literally they are spiritual things that need to be compared with spiritual things. Trees are not physical trees, lambs are not physical lambs, mountains are not physical mountains, The prophetic is about the systems that influence and rule people which are made by people, then the thinking is influenced by what is predicted and then actually comes about because people believe it and make it happen because it’s written in the book even though it never actually happened literally, and it was never about the literal in the first place, it was prophetic and symbolic. All scriptures are inspired but they show both the good and evil in symbolic form. If someone is born into the system or chooses/feels called to be a part of “Israel” They WILL go into BABYLON/EGYPT and the trick is to get out before the system is destroyed, however only a few will get out to be part of this

Rev 22:1 Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb
Rev 22:2 through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month. The leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.
Rev 22:3 No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him.
Rev 22:4 They will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads.
Rev 22:5 And night will be no more. They will need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign forever and ever.

The universe is made up of laws of Nature and God does not fiddle or alter these laws. There are no “miracles” but I believe all humans have capacity that we do not realise we have as we all are flesh and spirit.

The 7000 year age is the only one that has been written about in the scriptures because that is the only one that we need to know about. Christianity has taken that to mean that it is the only age and that everything outside of that is eternity, and heaven is literal heaven, earth is literal earth, and hell/hades/Gehenna/lake of fire are the same thing and are literal

Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM

33,240 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
It's unfortunate that you have that opinion of God's Word.
Scripture is always true and truthful. (Numbers 23:19; John 17:17)
"All scripture is God breathed" ... that includes Genesis' literal account of creation.
God -- not ancient Hebrews -- is giving the account of events in the Genesis literal account of creation.

As God the Holy Spirit in the NT confirms creation:
Colossians 1:16
"For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, ... all things have been created through him and for him."

Revelation 4:11
“You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they were created and have their being.”

Revelation 10:6
And he swore by him who lives for ever and ever, who created the heavens and all that is in them, the earth and all that is in it, and the sea and all that is in it, ... "
Since Rev 4:11\ Rev 10:6 \ Colossians 1:16 is true ... then what is one ultimately saying with an alternative theory other than believing God's account found in Genesis of his work of his literal creation?
The Bible is God's word. But the Bible contains many different genres. Not everything is meant to be taken literally. That includes the creation accounts. Yes, God brought all things into existence, but the Genesis account is not a literal account of how He did it. The scientific evidence for an extremely old Universe and earth, and for evolution is too strong to pretend that the earth was created in a six day period some 6 or 10 thousand years ago.

And if you are going to take the Biblical creation accounts literally, then in the creation account in Psalm 74 you have God bringing order out of chaos by literally slaying a multi-headed sea monster called Leviathan. Leviathan is not any creature that ever had actual existence. That multi-headed sea monster is none other than the seven headed sea serpent of Canaanite mythology. I went into some detail about this in post #32.

Do you Twin.spin believe that God literally slew a seven headed sea serpent in order to bring order out of chaos? Do you want to believe it? If the creation account in Psalm 74 is metaphorical then what makes you think that the Genesis creation account has to be taken literally?

Old 03-24-2018, 05:58 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Speaking of Christianity and science, I ran across a nest of the "elect" on the internet. They were claiming that people who are RH negative (only about 15% of the population) are actually a different line of humans than those with the monkey protein in their blood. They were claiming the blood on the Shroud was AB- and Jesus was from this line of "divine" humans. So maybe there never was a choice. I'm not buying it but I thought someone on here might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity