Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 10:58 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about this today and was wondering what people in other towns thought about this event when it happened, surely some knew people from there or even had relatives/ friends that may have been there at the time. Im curious if people were in mourning over the destruction or if they recognized why it happened, who had done it, etc. Maybe some thought it was a natural disaster?

I assume if God did such a thing today, a large majority of people would be mourning the loss of life, and probably be outraged that God did such a thing in the first place, I have a feeling anyone that claimed to be followers of the God responsible for this, would be instantly demonized, they would be guilty of hate crimes and much more!

Would it even be a good thing in Gods eyes, for people to mourn the loss of life in this event, or would that be seen as blasphemous as God is the one who destroyed the cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 12:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
It's a story.

Never happened.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:56 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I was thinking about this today and was wondering what people in other towns thought about this event when it happened, surely some knew people from there or even had relatives/ friends that may have been there at the time. Im curious if people were in mourning over the destruction or if they recognized why it happened, who had done it, etc. Maybe some thought it was a natural disaster?

I assume if God did such a thing today, a large majority of people would be mourning the loss of life, and probably be outraged that God did such a thing in the first place, I have a feeling anyone that claimed to be followers of the God responsible for this, would be instantly demonized, they would be guilty of hate crimes and much more!

Would it even be a good thing in Gods eyes, for people to mourn the loss of life in this event, or would that be seen as blasphemous as God is the one who destroyed the cities?
Everything God does is good and righteous. He is perfect so everything He does is correct. And God will destroy again

1Corinthians 15:23
24Then the end will come, when He hands over the kingdom to God the Father after He has destroyed all dominion, authority, and power. 25For He must reign until He has put all His enemies under His feet. 26The last enemy to be destroyed is death

Old 03-31-2018, 01:22 PM

...sigh...

Kids today. They'll believe anything.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:18 PM

5,438 posts, read 5,945,679 times
Quote:
Jesus did say that His followers would be hated of all nations.

Matthew 24
[9] Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
[10] And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
They suffered physical death, but Jesus said this:

"Truly I tell you, it will be more bearable for Sodom and Gomorrah on the day of judgment than for that town."

Old 03-31-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Jesus did say that His followers would be hated of all nations.

Matthew 24
[9] Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
[10] And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
What's interesting is that I see very little hatred of Christians from non-Christians. I see much more hate exhibited towards the "wrong kind of Christian" from other Christians.

Don't have to look much further than the 33,000+ different sects and sub-sects to see Christians do not play together nicely.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:52 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:

I don't know what they were thinking. But I do know that if I would have turned around and witnessed the death and destruction described, I probably would have spontaneously produced a pillar of an organic substance myself. Not salt though.

Old 03-31-2018, 02:57 PM

6,844 posts, read 2,847,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's a story.

Never happened.
Not as written anyway. I am reading an article about an Assyrian tablet that describes the event as an asteroid. A great big one.

Researchers: Asteroid Destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah | Slice of SciFi

Old 03-31-2018, 03:05 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
i say sod Gomorrah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity