Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 06:15 PM

245 posts, read 304,299 times

Advertisements

I try to use prayer to keep out my negative thoughts (worrywart) and offer them up for my intentions, be they deceased relatives, to assuage suffering all over the world, etc.

For a while I was saying "Jesus" over and over, then 'Thank you, Lord" but now I've gone to the rosary - recalling saying the family rosary of my youth.

As its more involved than saying a phrase and requires more concentration, its only possible to say it when you have 15 minutes (or so) to spare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 07:56 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post
I try to use prayer to keep out my negative thoughts (worrywart) and offer them up for my intentions, be they deceased relatives, to assuage suffering all over the world, etc.

For a while I was saying "Jesus" over and over, then 'Thank you, Lord" but now I've gone to the rosary - recalling saying the family rosary of my youth.

As its more involved than saying a phrase and requires more concentration, its only possible to say it when you have 15 minutes (or so) to spare.
Consider the smallest Seed as your shield .
And when the birds come to nest, further consider each pair as an increase of nourishment.

As for the birds,
I recommend doves.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
I’m a cradle Catholic. Never left the Church. But throughout my younger years I was active out of habit and because it was expected of me. When I had children, we continued to go because we wanted to make sure our kids were brought up in the Church. Once they began Catechism, I was forced to learn more about my Church to be able to discuss with my kids. My faith continued to grow as I learned more and more. I joined the KOC and was re-introduced to the Rosary. I said it occasionally but usually with other people. Never alone. My wife started making Rosaries as a way to rehabilitate her hand after reconstruction surgery after a serious injury. She would always say a rosary on each new one she made. Then she would give it away. She says at least 1 rosary everyday. Her dedication has given me new enthusiasm to say it more often. We hike regularly. The first 10 minutes of each hike, we pray a rosary out loud.

The older I get, the more I enjoy praying the rosary and it has also brought my wife and I closer together.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
No, I haven't redisc it...a regular daily session as a teen...each day a specific focus on Stations of the Cross, of course, was very centering...as was morning Mass and Communion before school.

If I stop to picture myself now holding one of my many many Rosaries...I feel the ceremony to be
very peaceful, concentrating my mind on 'the things above and not on the earth'..Col 3:2....always a wonderful discipline.
I, however, no longer talk to anyone except my Father...spirits, saints, deceased loved ones, angel's...which would include Mary, all on the Other Side,.are fine, and all...but my saying is,
"If I want to borrow my dad's car...I don't need to ask mom if I can...I go to my dad."
I don't need a go-between.
But, that is me, if someone else likes to, that's their style.

I respect those on the Other Side...I spend time with my Dad, tho...and often in stillness for many many many hours before His visits... (takes awhile to settle in and prepare a quiet place in my heart for Him...that secret place...ref Ps 91).

Old 04-24-2018, 12:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,832,394 times
I have never been a Catholic or any other kind of religion, but in the 1940's I listened every day to "The Rosary" on the radio.

I didn't intentionally turn it on, it just came on after "Terry and the Pirates" and I didn't turn it off.

There was a priest who talked about "Sorrowful Mysteries" and "Stations of the Cross".

I had no idea what he was talking about.

But, between the "Mysteries" and "Stations", the nun chorus came on and chanted: "Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now at at the hour of our death. Amen".

It was hypnotic and even I though didn't know what it was all about, it drilled itself into my brain.

And it's still there.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:11 PM

14 posts, read 6,281 times
Hello.

I am not a Roman Catholic nor Muslim and respect Catholics and Muslims as people, but I have such a hard time with the teachings.... I simply disagree with Catholic's and Muslim's teachings about Mary because the Bible does not support the “ Catholislamic “ teachings involving Mary.

I believe that it is important to realize, that at his death BEFORE Jesus The Anointed died, He said, " WOMAN look at your Son. " Here - - Mary’s younger son, thereafter - took MARY, His mother, alone, away in private - ALONE.

The Greek word is a word meaning SEPARATE, ALONE private.... this word private is the same Greek word used in the verse that says that " no scripture is of any private interpretation "

You will notice that When Jesus mentions Mary's LITERAL Son - in John 19:26- _ The Roman Catholic and Islamics do not take Jesus words as a literal meaning.

The Greek word “ THY " son “ is the word G4675 - σου? - sou / soo = Meaning Of thee, thy: - thine (own), thou, thy. ... This Greek word is used nearly 500 times in the New Testament and it always means Your Own or thy own.

I have noticed that Roman Catholic and Islamics honor Mary because of the great things they imagine about her, considering and demanding that because she was sinless, perfect, holy and pure and SPECIAL - “ Full of grace “ She was the chosen one . But The Prophecy and plan of God was to bring Jesus through the Line Of the sinful, repentant sinner " King David " . It did not specify an importance regarding if the virgin was perfect or sinless or the most holiest and pure-minded woman who ever existed. Or a woman who was living a life with the purpose of being a virgin As the Quran declares here in - Quran 66:12 “And (God sets forth the example for those who Believe) of Mary, the daughter of Heli, who guarded her chastity, so We blew into it through Our Angel (i.e., Gabriel), and she believed in the words of her Lord and His Scriptures and was of the devoutly obedient.” (Quran 66:12)

But The Bible does not lay importance on anything regarding that Mary had planned or plotted out her virginity or guarded her chastity. NEVER.
The Bible does not say that Mary had lived a long lifetime or a short life and lived with an important goal and made the personal decision of abstaining and refusing sexual relations or marriage.

We don't even know how old Mary was. - - Mat_1:23 and Luk_1:27 simply say that she was a virgin. - That's it....

The Biblically designed point was to be a descendant of King David, not to be born from a sinless, perfect nun-like, single and never to be planning to be, a sexually active woman. But Mary was planning, plotting wanting sex and Joseph was planning marriage and sex too. And Joseph was instructed to not be afraid to get married and have sex because the child conceived in His new { to be } wife was from the Holy Spirit . And Joseph did not know Mary sexually UNTIL after they were married and Mary had borne Her firstborn son.

Joseph and Mary were plotting, planning and preparing to get married and Joseph was fearful / afraid to take Mary as a wife because she was already pregnant.
Joseph and Mary were not planning to abstain from sex . The Angel knew that they had a marriage plan and told Joseph directly - to not continue to be fearful -- and afraid, about the pregnancy. Obviously, they were worried about their sexual relationship and marriage and sexual future because Mary's sexuality and pregnancy was a very important matter in the relationship because Joseph thought she was already pregnant with someone else’s baby and had lied about the sexual activity. He was afraid, and upset and He was planning on putting her away and terminating the marriage. Because the factual plan in The Bible, was for Mary to be His normal wife sexually.
Have the Roman Catholic and Islamic Mosque - simply added these false things and untruths directly upon the Biblical narrative and have they completely changed the message of God’s word. ? ?

We see Mary's genealogy in Luke 3:24..

REMEMBER - The Original Luke 3:24 simply begins to just simply list and lay out a simple list of names - one right after another after another and so on. The genealogy is ending in verse 23 by simply only naming the name Heli. Then ending verse 23 to 24 - It looks exactly as the following … … . Heli, Matthat, Levi, Melchi, Janna, Joseph, Mattathias, Amos, Naum, Esli, Nagge, Maath, Mattathias, Semei, Joseph, Juda, Joanna, Rhesa, Zorobabel, Salathiel, Neri, Melchi, Addi, Cosam, Elmodam, Er, Jose, Eliezer, Jorim, Matthat, Levi, Simeon, Juda, Joseph, Jonan, Eliakim, Melea, Menan, Mattatha, Nathan, David, Jesse, Obed, Booz, Salmon, Naasson, Aminadab, Aram, Esrom, Phares, Juda, Jacob, Isaac, Abraham, Thara, Nachor, Saruch, Ragau, Phalec, Heber, Sala, Cainan, ArphaX ad, Sem, Noe, Lamech, Mathusala, Enoch, Jared, Maleleel, Cainan, Enos, Seth, Adam, God ._
_
This was why Mary was chosen - The bible makes is clear that it was very crucial for the virgin to be from the seed of David. Her personal planning, plotting and goals of being a virgin or living a lifetime of chastity and staying / remaining a virgin has nothing to do with anything. And we know that She had never planned to be a virgin, She was getting married and Her husband was terminating the wedding because He could no longer have sex with her because she was cheating on Him.
The angel knew that Mary was very afraid, worried and fearful - in Luke 1:30 - the angel told Mary to not be afraid and worried.

Roman Catholic and Muslims honor Mary because of the great things they imagine about her, considering and demanding that because she was sinless, perfect, holy and pure and SPECIAL - “ Full of grace “ She was the chosen one . But The Prophecy and plan of God was to bring Jesus through the Line Of King David. It did not matter who the virgin was, out of the thousands of virgins throughout the land . ... The point was to be a descendant of King David, not to be born from a sinless, perfect woman who had lived a lifetime of virginity and or who plotted, planned and dedicated her life to being a virgin... I never hear Catholic and Islamic doctrine focusing on the Biblical teaching, it is all - only centered around the twisting of the original manuscripts. And Mary is portrayed as a young woman who was planning a marriage, not some older woman who had lived her life as a concentrated woman of God having abstained from sexual activity. As a young woman looking for a husband to marry and have a marriage and sexual relations with a husband .

This was Mary's plan in her mind, her goals and interests and desires was to get married and have sexual relations with a man - NOT to be virgin ! or a nun, like. woman and never have sex or commit a sex act in her life. She was hunting, pursuing, seeking and pursuing, following sexual plan for a relationship with a male. In the eyes of the Roman Catholic and Islamic fantasy of the Mary of Catholic and Islamicism,

How is this a holy woman who was sinless, pure and special; or any different from any other woman who was seeking a marriage, sex and a husband ? ?
I read Gods word and I just can’t see how that the Mary of Catholic and Islam exists. And if Muslims are not interested in the Seed Of king David and Roman Catholics are also not interested - it seems that they make changes of the importance and point of everything in the Bible and modify it to their own personal interests. what do You think ?

Please help me to understand ? IF I am wrong, I ask You to please show me in God’s word.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times
Go to www.catholic.com and you will read a lot about Mary and what the Church thinks of her. Also, the rosary, etc.

Mary is mentioned all through the bible. Tim Staples wrote a good book about Mary. He is a convert and did not believe what the Church taught until he started to study it. He is now a great apologist on the radio at Catholic Answers. He has a YouTube video series and a web site.

Old 06-20-2018, 02:26 AM

160 posts, read 62,371 times
I just started getting into the rosary as a new Anglican Catholic. Some people don't understand its significance. I am very happy with it as it helps me meditate deeper on Christ Jesus. There is some memorization here I still need to work on but I'll have it down

Old 06-20-2018, 03:55 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,675 times
IMHO and FWIW, any form of prayer and meditation that helps us to draw closer to Jesus and become more mindful of His coming to this world by taking on our flesh, and His life, suffering, death and resurrection to redeem us (the "mysteries" of the rosary) is a good thing. devoutly and thoughtfully prayed ("mindless repetitions" of words don't count of course) it becomes a useful means to a holy end: loving Jesus Who has loved and forgiven us and ultimately sharing that love and forgiveness with others---the goal of every Christian.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,165,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianstad View Post

Just say what is on your mind, vain repetitions count for nothing.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity