Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 PM

593 posts, read 890,918 times

Advertisements

After an exhaustive study I'm now reasonably prepared to counter skeptics (most who I believe will be unprepared) and the well versed
whom I expect will cause me to delve deeper. The point is I respect
any dialog and honored by anyone who responses to my threads. Give
it a go my friends . It's a wild ride . As Jesus said "It's gett'in hot in
here I think I'm bust'in loose". (resurrection!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 07:04 AM

21,154 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Haha! Jesus said that, huh? And you have the credibility to prove the Shroud is genuine? ...

I consider myself a fairly devout Christian (Catholic). Whether the Shroud is or isn't genuine is really not a factor to me. I think there is a high probability of it being real, but if it were conclusively proven not to be, it still would be a holy artifact worthy of veneration, much like any other statue or painting.

I think that people who are always looking to scientifically disprove religion miss out on the fact that life itself is miraculous, therefore whether something is caused by "natural means" or whether it is "a miracle" is really not important to a true believer (because everything is a miracle!).

Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
There are prophets of the Lord who have had visions that the Shroud of Turin is a witness of the horrible death of Jesus , and this vision is the death beating Jesus took from His captors which a horrible vision ..the prophet name in Maria Valtorta, so if people believe, there is a prophets reward or if one does not believe then there is no prophets reward the Word of God says .... But the Shroud does have some similar wounds on the body that Jesus had from the accounts from Isaiah 53, which is also a prophecy of the beating that Jesus took ,and from the Gospel there is some account of the horrible torture Jesus took which are similar wound on the Shroud were blood marks are clearly there ... So if the shroud is from the death of Jesus or some other person , the person who left these blood marks are similar to Jesus torture and death like the blood mark from the crown of thorns and the ripped off beard and whip marks and the cut from a spear leaves us with questions it was Jesus here ...... Even the movie `The Passion ` by Mel Gibson is from people who used the shroud of Turin to show their belief of this relic as the marks of Jesus beating in the movie are the marks of the shroud ....

Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,543,379 times
People seek after sign rather than the Spirit of Truth. So what does Jesus say to this?

MT 12:38 "Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from you.
MT 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeks after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
MT 12:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

1COR 1:22 "For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
1COR 1:23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumbling block, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
1COR 1:24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
1COR 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men."

Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASULAR17 View Post
After an exhaustive study I'm now reasonably prepared to counter skeptics (most who I believe will be unprepared) and the well versed
I wouldn't base my faith on it. That's all I can say.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:49 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,887,855 times
Quote:

I suspect that the shroud is the genuine burial cloth of Jesus. No, I don't have any "proof". It's just "IMO", after reading about it and watching documentary about it.

Bud

Old 01-28-2012, 02:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Personally, it doesn't matter:

"He no longer wears the garments of this world."

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,964 times
Quote:
I'm not sure by your words here if you are saying the shroud is real or not, but it is 14" long x 3.5 " wide piece of linen which has two images on it. The front of the a body and the back of one.

So I must ask you, or those who think it's genuine, if you've read the Biblical accounts of how ppl were prepared for burial in that day?

Their bodies were wrapped/wound in strips of linen called grave clothes along with spices. And Christ's face was covered with a seperate piece of cloth called a napkin.

So I must ask. How could a solid image have appeared on stips of cloth?

Old 01-29-2012, 07:31 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Haha! Jesus said that, huh? And you have the credibility to prove the Shroud is genuine? ...

I consider myself a fairly devout Christian (Catholic). Whether the Shroud is or isn't genuine is really not a factor to me. I think there is a high probability of it being real, but if it were conclusively proven not to be, it still would be a holy artifact worthy of veneration, much like any other statue or painting.

I think that people who are always looking to scientifically disprove religion miss out on the fact that life itself is miraculous, therefore whether something is caused by "natural means" or whether it is "a miracle" is really not important to a true believer (because everything is a miracle!).
Exo_20:4 You shall not make a graven image for yourself, or any likeness in the heavens above, or in the earth beneath, or in the waters under the earth;

How do you get around this one?...

Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,051,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshipmate View Post
I'm not sure by your words here if you are saying the shroud is real or not, but it is 14" long x 3.5 " wide piece of linen which has two images on it. The front of the a body and the back of one.

So I must ask you, or those who think it's genuine, if you've read the Biblical accounts of how ppl were prepared for burial in that day?

Their bodies were wrapped/wound in strips of linen called grave clothes along with spices. And Christ's face was covered with a seperate piece of cloth called a napkin.

So I must ask. How could a solid image have appeared on stips of cloth?
That was Egyptian mumiphication, which the Hebrews did not practice for that involved removing the internal organs including the brain which would have been a desecration to them...A burial shroud is just that, a shoud that covers the body...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity