Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there denominations that interpret the Bible correctly?
Yes, and these are ... 6 27.27%
No 12 54.55%
The Bible is wrong anyway. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 06:12 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
No one should interpret it. They should understand it. Interpretation belongs to God.

Of course men like to interpret it, so we have 36000 denominations.

KJV 2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Yes clear verses are ... clear and they show how to understand unclear verses.
how can you live it unless you are trying to intepret it ? sounds more like an excuse to not live it.
yes the spirit of God has to interpret it for us.. but it has to be interpreted inorder to live it and have it perfect us.. as that is the jobs of the word and the spirit.. to bring us to fullness

Old 05-13-2018, 06:14 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. Any church that says it is ok, they are dancing with heresy. My point is that nearly everyone struggles with some sort of sexual sin. Ever look at someone with lust? Jesus says that you have committed adultry in your heart.

To deny homosexuality is a sin or even glorify it is terribly wrong. And I am not dismissing the gravity of sexual transgression. But we are all fallen creatures and therefor, we all struggle. Some have greater issues to overcome and need our continual prayer
I can't recall reading anything about committed same sex relationships. Can you point us to chapter and verse, please? (Please don't use those verses about temple prostitutes. I'm asking about committed long term relationships.)

Old 05-13-2018, 06:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I can't recall reading anything about committed same sex relationships. Can you point us to chapter and verse, please? (Please don't use those verses about temple prostitutes. I'm asking about committed long term relationships.)

I'm picturing his frustration when he can't put you on ignore - like he does the others who make him think.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:16 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,729,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity is Coming View Post
I couldn't answer the poll as it was worded because no one denomination, much less any one person, has 100% perfect theology. We're still finite, sinful beings living in fallible bodies and minds. That's why we must rely on the Holy Spirit in the born-again believer to teach us, per God's Word. Also, none of us will be judged in accordance with which denomination we belonged to or listened to. Christianity is a one-on-one, individual relationship, not a group thing.

We know and learn about God through His Word. So, to believe in God is to believe in His Word. And in His Word He clearly says in 2 Timothy 3:16-17, "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work."

All means all. When the plain sense of Scripture makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you fall into nonsense. God isn't trying to trick us to see "who will fall for everything outside the Torah." What kind of Father does that? A reprobate one.

Also, God warns us about spiritual deception in Matthew 7:15-23; 24:5; 2 Corinthians 11:4; Galatians 1:8; and 1 John 4:1. He doesn't want people to be deceived. He's is a big enough God to protect His Word and not allow a falsehood (such as everything in the Bible outside of the Torah) to stay in publication for generations so as to deceive those who are truly seeking Him.
most excellent , and bolden is perfection.. thank you!

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: fixed quote tag

Old 05-13-2018, 06:18 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,299,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
how can you live it unless you are trying to intepret it ? sounds more like an excuse to not live it.
yes the spirit of God has to interpret it for us.. but it has to be interpreted inorder to live it and have it perfect us.. as that is the jobs of the word and the spirit.. to bring us to fullness
We don't live by the interpretation of scripture. If you think that God is limited to impressing upon us his way by no other way than interpreting scripture correctly, then you are limiting God.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:26 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, look at what the bible says about those who are truly faithful followers of God, they are hated and despised, persecuted due to his name.

So if you really want to find the group that are doing things the way God really intends, it would be religious groups that are hated and despised by most of the secular world.

From what i see around my area, catholics and christians are very well respected groups, by most of the secular community...(that alone should be a HUGE red flag..compromise/ settling).
so when evangelicals HATE and DESPISE me, it proves I am truly a faithful follower of god?

Seems even Christ "hated and despised" the religious groups of His day since they were ultimately responsible for His murder.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:31 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
so when evangelicals HATE and DESPISE me, it proves I am truly a faithful follower of god?

Seems even Christ "hated and despised" the religious groups of His day since they were ultimately responsible for His murder.
Really? People hate you?

Old 05-13-2018, 06:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Really? People hate you?

You hate me.

Which is partly why you hide from me.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
The Bible says homosexuality is a sin. Any church that says it is ok, they are dancing with heresy. My point is that nearly everyone struggles with some sort of sexual sin. Ever look at someone with lust? Jesus says that you have committed adultry in your heart.

To deny homosexuality is a sin or even glorify it is terribly wrong. And I am not dismissing the gravity of sexual transgression. But we are all fallen creatures and therefor, we all struggle. Some have greater issues to overcome and need our continual prayer
Homosexuality is only a sin when sex is part of it. Even King David loved Jonathan with a love greater than that between a man and a woman (Which includes sex), so that is not wrong. Sex with someone outside of a Biblical marriage is the sin and Biblically only a man and woman can marry. Homosexual's do not have to have sex, anymore than a single heterosexual does. Real love for another would cause both to avoid displeasing God. Self love puts everything else above God.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:45 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
You live by understanding it based on what it clearly says. As an example it says lying is a sin . Not hard to understand simply don't lie. It says don't steal, easy to avoid. It says to do many things people won't do so they try to put a spin/interpretation on it.

Understanding is easy for those who want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity