Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 04:43 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,034,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We have had a myriad of threads and discussion on universalism, eternal punishment, etc.

We are never told to focus on the outcome. The Great Commission was not about ascertaining who is and is not saved. It is about making disciples.

What was the message that Jesus gave the apostles to preach? He didn't give them one. He told to go and wait for instructions. The instructions received were carried out initially in Acts 2 when Peter addressed the Men of Judea and Israel. It was a message that focused on God's plan, Christ's sacrifice, and their sin, and it resulted in 3,000+ believing in Christ.

The whole debate about God saving everyone is useless. It is discussed as though we actually have something to do with the outcome... as though God is taking poll numbers on the subject and will decide what to do based on public opinion. That's what America does, not God.

If you desire to please God - preach Christ. Read the first sermons by Peter in the book of Acts and check the content. There is nothing about saving all or eternal punishment. Seek to make disciples instead of seeking to win an argument with which you and I absolutely have zero control.

I am not saying you shouldn't have a position on it, but it should not affect unity in Christ.

Christ thought the unity of believers was important enough to pray to God about in John 17.

It is definitely not worth the big food fight that has been ongoing for years.
My friend: Rose is listening to you. I do not know if you have become acquainted with pastor Richard Wurmbrand. His experience with the Christ, I for one cannot stand in the shadow.

Preaching Christ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqdPkDPMCwk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
We have had a myriad of threads and discussion on universalism, eternal punishment, etc.
True. It is telling the people who claim there is no such thing as eternal punishment are so obsessed with it that they can't stop talking about it.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,732,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Of course, but don't you remove the rotten fruit from the basket?
oh so you can pick the things you think are rotten out of his words out of his mouth , and out of the Word of God also...all that you think are rotten in their mouths ?
But
are you refusing to allow God the same rights with what he created? to remove the rotten fruit from his
own mouth?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:47 AM

45,598 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClementofA View Post
The great Apostle, Saint Paul, taught the "outcome" to Timothy & told him what to do with it:

9 This is a trustworthy saying, worthy of full acceptance.

10 To this end we labor and strive, because we have set our hope on the living God, who is the Savior of all men, and especially of those who believe.

11 Command and teach these things

You can't do it, can you?

I could sit here and discuss this for the thousandth time - why? We disagree - whoop-de-do. You or I have nothing to do with the outcome. Christianity does not require me to be 100% correct on everything. It does not require you to be 100% correct on everything. It requires God to be correct in 100% of everything. It requires our faith in Him regardless of how He chooses to act.

It gets to a point where we look no different than the rest of the world with the endless squabbling. That's not what God wants from His children.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:52 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,366,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Again - I am not saying that you shouldn't care, because I care as well... but we simply are not called to have these endless, fruitless debates. We should be about kingdom business first

Well worth repeating!
I agree it is mostly fruitless debating ET and I agree with OP. But what IS that message of Christ we need to preach? Do we make them an offer they cannot refuse?

Old 06-20-2018, 07:58 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,721,807 times
Quote:

We are never told to focus on the outcome. The Great Commission was not about ascertaining who is and is not saved. It is about making disciples.

What was the message that Jesus gave the apostles to preach? He didn't give them one. He told to go and wait for instructions. The instructions received were carried out initially in Acts 2 when Peter addressed the Men of Judea and Israel. It was a message that focused on God's plan, Christ's sacrifice, and their sin, and it resulted in 3,000+ believing in Christ.

The whole debate about God saving everyone is useless. It is discussed as though we actually have something to do with the outcome... as though God is taking poll numbers on the subject and will decide what to do based on public opinion. That's what America does, not God.

If you desire to please God - preach Christ. Read the first sermons by Peter in the book of Acts and check the content. There is nothing about saving all or eternal punishment. Seek to make disciples instead of seeking to win an argument with which you and I absolutely have zero control.

I am not saying you shouldn't have a position on it, but it should not affect unity in Christ.

Christ thought the unity of believers was important enough to pray to God about in John 17.

It is definitely not worth the big food fight that has been ongoing for years.
Amen!!

Preach God's love!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnvmKoLWUU

Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM

20,443 posts, read 12,805,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I agree it is mostly fruitless debating ET and I agree with OP. But what IS that message of Christ we need to preach? Do we make them an offer they cannot refuse?
My opinion...

All have sinned.

God so loved the world.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:13 AM

45,598 posts, read 27,230,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
As children of God by faith, we are to be obedient to God (through the Holy Spirit) and either preach the gospel, or use spiritual gifts to support the preaching of the gospel - which leads to making disciples. God will handle if the others accept or refuse the gospel.

As far as the content - look at what Peter preached in Acts 2, 3, 4... if you are a believer and have the Holy Spirit, He will guide you into what God wants yo to do if you let Him. Step 1 would be to make sure you are relating to God on a regular basis.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:32 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,620,761 times
Obedience? I have no need to be obedient. Not to God, not to man. God is fine with this.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:48 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Obedience? I have no need to be obedient. Not to God, not to man. God is fine with this.

Weak, fundamentalist men stress the "obedience-to-god" thing because it's easier to sell the "man-is-the-head-of-the-household" thing. Keeps the little woman in her place, don'tcha' know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity