Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 11:26 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times

Advertisements

The point of this thread is to show how points of view can be supported by taking Scripture out of context. I claim fundamentalists do this more than others, but all of us are probably guilty of doing it at some time.

I'm going to provide two Scriptures. It is okay to accept one and not the other and state your reasons for doing so. But to REFUTE one and not the other can only be done with relevant Scripture.

Quote:
No one has ever seen God, but the one and only Son, who is Himself God and is at the Father’s side, has made Him known.
John 1:18

Quote:
So Moses took the blood, sprinkled it on the people, and said, “This is the blood of the covenant that the LORD has made with you in accordance with all these words.” Then Moses went up with Aaron, Nadab and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel, and they saw the God of Israel. Under His feet was a work like a pavement made of sapphire, as clear as the sky itself. But God did not lay His hand on the nobles of Israel; they saw Him, and they ate and drank.
Ezekiel 24:9-11

Both statements cannot stand alone and harmonized in an inerrant Bible. They can only be understood within cultural boundaries and perhaps even in ignorance of what other Scripture says.

Now, I don't doubt there is a "fictional" story or two that fundamentalists have created to instill harmonization. But I contend they cannot do so using just Bible quotes. They have to add to the Bible thereby changing its meaning to meet their own inerrancy criteria.

Doing so is the apex of biblical idolatry.

Have a shot Omega--but remember -- you can voice your opinion, but can only claim one or the other is false by using solely Scripture. Putting out an unbiblical creative story is simply an admission that the Bible doesn't speak clearly---it needs fundamentalist help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:44 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,589,611 times
To answer your question, my cat would say yes. After all she is convinced she is God and my role is to worship and serve her.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:20 PM

9,691 posts, read 10,027,043 times
Seen the eternal light of Christ once at a prayer meeting few years ago , which was bright flashing pure white light with no color , like a camera flash which flashed for five minutes in many areas around this meeting , and I was the only one to see this miracle of God , as no one else paid any notice Glory to God

Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,401,123 times
Jeepers, before I was an Evangelical Charismatic Christian....that would be in '93...
I would sit with my Fundie neighbor showing HER Genesis ...around Ch 30...
Where Jacob said, I have seen the face of God and yet I lived (survived)....and I name this place Penuel (or Peniel).

Dah, I don't care what anyone said after that, except...then, Jesus said in Luke, KJV, If thine eye be single thy whole body will be full of light.

Well, again, dah....God is Light, Inner Eye, Pineal gland?...get it...Why do ya think I sit for hours for over 4 decades in stillness and silence....it's because God is inside....face to face!
A light brighter than 10,000 suns!

The light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Sorry, but it gets tiring pointing the obvious out to people..."go inside".
And, No, you do not see God with these eyes...that always comes up.

If a person wants to have direct contact with God Himself....sit...be still. Period.
(And not for 15 minutes once a week.)

OK, I'm done...this is something I can not 'debate'...it just is.

If a person that wants to see God or have Him visit you....you must put in the time...moments
of Grace are so wonderful....but they don't have to happen every decade, sporadically.
Sit.
Sit for 4 hours every day...sit for 6 hours....and see what happens, my friends!

Old 07-15-2018, 06:04 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,996,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The point of this thread is to show how points of view can be supported by taking Scripture out of context. I claim fundamentalists do this more than others, but all of us are probably guilty of doing it at some time.

I'm going to provide two Scriptures. It is okay to accept one and not the other and state your reasons for doing so. But to REFUTE one and not the other can only be done with relevant Scripture.

John 1:18

Ezekiel 24:9-11

Both statements cannot stand alone and harmonized in an inerrant Bible. They can only be understood within cultural boundaries and perhaps even in ignorance of what other Scripture says.

First, don't tell me what I can do. Second, you have the wrong reference. It is from Exodus, not Ezekiel. However we fundamentalist would never answer a statement like yours without using God's inspired and inerrant word. I will use only the Bible to show you your lack of understanding. However you will not accept what the Bible says, because you don't really understand it.

We start in Gen 1:26---Let us make man in our image and likeness...

God's image consist of his invisible attributes: intellect, love, compassion, etc, even His sense of humor.

Now notice in verse 27 God created man in His own image. Likeness is omitted because that will come later and it will be formed, not created. In Gen 2:27, man was formed from a substance that can be seen, dust.

So Genesis 1:26 points the the fact that God is made of what can be seen and what can't be seen.

God can and did appear at times in His visible likeness. It is called a theophany. He has never appeared to man in His image.

Quote:
Now, I don't doubt there is a "fictional" story or two that fundamentalists have created to instill harmonization. But I contend they cannot do so using just Bible quotes. They have to add to the Bible thereby changing its meaning to meet their own inerrancy criteria.

I hope you and others, but especially you, that I only used Scripture.

Quote:
Doing so is the apex of biblical idolatry.

To say Christians worship the Bible is one of the most ignorant things you can say about them, but making up their own truth is typical of liberal theologians.

Quote:
Have a shot Omega--but remember -- you can voice your opinion, but can only claim one or the other is false by using solely Scripture. Putting out an unbiblical creative story is simply an admission that the Bible doesn't speak clearly---it needs fundamentalist help.

My claim is that liberals do not understand the Bible and it is you who is putting out and unbiblical, uncreative story and he Bible speaks clearly to those who take the time to study it instead of accepting the view of liberal theologians, who like, you can't prove anything they say against God's inspired and inerrant word.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:43 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
First, don't tell me what I can do.

My claim is that liberals do not understand the Bible and it is you who is putting out and unbiblical, uncreative story and he Bible speaks clearly to those who take the time to study it instead of accepting the view of liberal theologians, who like, you can't prove anything they say against God's inspired and inerrant word.

I do not think any one needs a theologian to interpret the bible. I am not sure what liberal has to do with it.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:01 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I do not think any one needs a theologian to interpret the bible. I am not sure what liberal has to do with it.
I think they mean liberal christians. not conservative liberal politics, as a point of fact, who can't see the real world. They can see feeling good no matter how many they hurt and protecting their own kind real well. But, to be fair, conservative conservatives are whacked too.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:16 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I think they mean liberal christians. not conservative liberal politics, as a point of fact, who can't see the real world. They can see feeling good no matter how many they hurt and protecting their own kind real well. But, to be fair, conservative conservatives are whacked too.

What is the difference between a liberal Christian and a conservative Christian if not their political leanings?

Old 07-15-2018, 08:00 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
What is the difference between a liberal Christian and a conservative Christian if not their political leanings?
No offense to either camp, but one is supposedly more adherent to the written word and the other one wings it depending on feelings/climate and sometimes soothsaying.

Though some hate to admit it, every belief system has fundamentalist in its ranks.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:47 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,469,850 times
Uh....Moses (answering the original question)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity