Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 11:51 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,149,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I ask because of another thread...it looks like people think we are not to judge anything...
"This cake is bad compared to that one."
"Oooo, you're judging...that's a judgment! Oooo bad.."
See what I mean?
I see it often over the years.

Ex: "He's a bad Christian....you're judging....well, he steals from the neighbor, so he's a bad Christian!....You're still judging!!!

There is confusion over discernment, observations, preferences, opinions, choices,
likes and dislikes, perceptions, assessments....etc.

So what do you think was meant by Do not judge..
Thanks.
It means don't judge other Christians using your own personal standards and with a devious intent. Rather, judging is done using God's standards and recognition that repentance is key . If you were to see a fellow believer break into a store and steal a TV that's theft and he/she is a thief. God's standard is no Christian should steal. You'd be within your right to admonish that person and if he/she is unrepentant you would correctly judge them as someone to avoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 12:16 AM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
It means don't judge other Christians using your own personal standards and with a devious intent. Rather, judging is done using God's standards and recognition that repentance is key . If you were to see a fellow believer break into a store and steal a TV that's theft and he/she is a thief. God's standard is no Christian should steal. You'd be within your right to admonish that person and if he/she is unrepentant you would correctly judge them as someone to avoid.
The issue for me whenever I hear the term 'repentance' is that it is such a subjective term. When one claims to 'have repented' who is it that determines if the one claiming repentance is genuinely repentant? Is lip service good enough? Moreover, one may feel bad enough about themselves and their previous sins today and be emotionally drawn to repentance (happens many times during Christian Crusades) while tomorrow is ...well, tomorrow is another day.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:54 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,243,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Sorry, but the "He" in that verse refers to Jesus who is the only one who is "judged of no man."
GINOLJC, to all.
first thanks for the reply,

second, we must disagree with your assessment here. scripture, Proverbs 28:5 "Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things".

Hoped that helped.

PICYJAG.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:20 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Don't confuse making judgment with passing judgment. Passing judgment is reserved for the Almighty alone. We humans lack the ability, the occasion, and the authority to pass judgment. On anyone. God alone knows the intentions of the heart. While we lack what it takes to pass judgment, we shouldn't neglect pointing out sin, in love, to point others to the same grace and mercy that has saved us.
Making judgment is done by everyone, every day.
As part of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus was preaching to his disciples about what it looks like to be a citizen of the kingdom, and through them to all of the church today. The fact that the requirements are so tight and strict that no one can completely obey them all drives us to the mercy and grace of God.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Don't confuse making judgment with passing judgment. Passing judgment is reserved for the Almighty alone. We humans lack the ability, the occasion, and the authority to pass judgment. On anyone. God alone knows the intentions of the heart. While we lack what it takes to pass judgment, we shouldn't neglect pointing out sin, in love, to point others to the same grace and mercy that has saved us.
Making judgment is done by everyone, every day.
As part of the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus was preaching to his disciples about what it looks like to be a citizen of the kingdom, and through them to all of the church today. The fact that the requirements are so tight and strict that no one can completely obey them all drives us to the mercy and grace of God.

Old 10-04-2018, 06:57 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
When one claims to 'have repented' who is it that determines if the one claiming repentance is genuinely repentant?
Not ME! What someone else feels in their heart
has nothing to do with me...neither do their struggles to keep 'good'...unless they ask
for some help, that is.

Thanks everyone so far, really!

Loved that ...don't pre-judge being taught to the kids ciceropolo
Very astute, well said, Electron, not to confuse making a judgment to passing judgment!!!

Old 10-04-2018, 07:10 AM

When I was in a Book Club, with a practicing psychologist as the 'leader'...he started a topic
on how EASY it is to judge others. What?...2-3 people chimed in agreeing and giving examples.

Incredulous, I said..."What on earth are you people talking about?!! It's the
EASIEST thing to not judge...You know nothing about that person's path! The lessons
he's learning, his struggles between him and God! How God is working with him!
We have 2 things to do only...and one is love our neighbors....geeze!"

I'm a terror in groups.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
When I was in a Book Club, with a practicing psychologist as the 'leader'...he started a topic
on how EASY it is to judge others. What?...2-3 people chimed in agreeing and giving examples.

Incredulous, I said..."What on earth are you people talking about?!! It's the
EASIEST thing to not judge...You know nothing about that person's path! The lessons
he's learning, his struggles between him and God! How God is working with him!
We have 2 things to do only...and one is love our neighbors....geeze!"

I'm a terror in groups.
Good point, you "JUDGE" wisely, but you did JUDGE.....

Ephesians 4:2 "With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Ephesians 4:3 "Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

forbearing: putting up with one another

if I'm putting up with you why JUDGE.

Romans 15:1 "We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
Romans 15:2 "Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification".

don't run with that, but examine what is said, "for his good".....

Galatians 5:15 "But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another".

PICYJAG.

Old 10-04-2018, 08:50 AM

11,088 posts, read 7,149,943 times
To me, it means:
  • Don't play God
  • Don't act as though we have all necessary information to render a fair and complete judgement
  • Don't act as though we can read others' minds
  • Don't make assumptions and jump to conclusions
  • Avoid tearing people down
  • Avoid lifting ourselves up as though we are special or superior
  • Recognize that we are all equal (including pastors and self-appointed types), and God is way above us all

A person doesn't even need a full Bible for that. Look at Jesus' life, and open your eyes to what helps others and improves life, versus what takes away.

Also, "judging" involves perspective, not just action or inaction. It's not a simplistic matter of 'doing this' or 'not doing that'; it's about having a mindset and perspective to helps us - perhaps subconsciously or automatically - have better control over our actions and words.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 10-04-2018 at 09:09 AM..

Old 10-04-2018, 10:19 AM

Good post, Thoreau.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity