Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 10:04 AM

1,259 posts, read 565,042 times

Advertisements

I stopped observing Christmas some years ago.

Jer 10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
Jer 10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2018, 10:20 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Oh I never saw that passage...I just would never support cutting down a tree...aren't there enough fires....and ruining of the forests in South America?
I dislike very much seeing those huge trees cut for DC and NYC. And for what?

Old 12-22-2018, 10:28 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,373,201 times
It's what you make it, or how you take it. But it is neither good or evil.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:30 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Oh I never saw that passage...I just would never support cutting down a tree...aren't there enough fires....and ruining of the forests in South America?
Sustainable forestry? Cultural cohesion?

Like OP, it's a good idea to learn about the subject before condemning.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Birthday celebrations were forbidden for GOOD reason. Those under the stain of Adam's sin, shouldn't celebrate the year they were born into that condemnation. But of course that foolish pride is all around us.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeWillCome2040 View Post
Birthday celebrations were forbidden for GOOD reason. Those under the stain of Adam's sin, shouldn't celebrate the year they were born into that condemnation. But of course that foolish pride is all around us.
Including the foolish pride of thinking they have all the answers when they don't have any idea what the real question is. Need a mirror?

Old 12-22-2018, 10:59 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,768 times
Quote:
Were you ever or are you now a Jehovah's Witness?

I love to remember that day my children were born to me.

Old 12-22-2018, 11:47 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,619,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

I heard we have fires because we do not rake the forests.

There is a Christmas Tree Farm in my neighborhood. The trees are then carted to the beaches to stop erosion, and give shelter to small critters.

OP. There is nothing like the energy of Christmas eve, and day. Allow yourself to feel it. Take it with you.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:19 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,707,679 times
Quote:
I stopped observing Christmas some years ago.

Jer 10:1 Hear ye the word which the LORD speaketh unto you, O house of Israel:
Jer 10:2 Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
Jer 10:3 For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
Jer 10:4 They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.
Jer 10:5 They are upright as the palm tree, but speak not: they must needs be borne, because they cannot go. Be not afraid of them; for they cannot do evil, neither also is it in them to do good.
The symbols go deeper than actual trees, and silver and gold

It doesn’t matter if you keep the day or not, what matters is if you know the meaning of the symbols

Trees are not about physical trees

Isa 41:18 I will open rivers in bare places, and fountains in the midst of valleys; I will make the desert for a pool of water, and the dry land springs of water.
Isa 41:19 I will plant cedar in the wilderness, acacia, and myrtle, and the oil tree; I will set fir, pine and boxwood together in the desert;
Isa 41:20 so that they may see, and know, and set up, and understand together, that the hand of Jehovah has done this; and the Holy One of Israel has created it.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Were you ever or are you now a Jehovah's Witness?

I love to remember that day my children were born to me.

No, I have never been a Jehovah's Witness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity