Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times

Advertisements

thats nice work. I don't believe their debt is paid yet, but I see no reason to yank all hope from them either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2018, 08:25 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times
Again, thanks everyone.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:20 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Honestly, until I started teaching out at the Salt Lake City metropolitan jail, I'd have had to say, "Not really." It was getting so that I dreaded Sundays. I was continuing to attend church, but mostly so that my husband wouldn't have to go alone, (and maybe a little bit because I felt like that's where I should be on Sundays -- though I didn't really think God would care all that much if I didn't go). I often taught in the women's auxiliary (it's called the Relief Society); the main purpose of that organization is supposed to be one of service. I never really felt that I fit in, though. I thought I gave good lessons, but very often I suspected that some of my ideas were too left-wing for a lot of the other ladies. I taught crazy stuff like the importance of loving everyone -- people who have made bad life choices, people of different faiths, people of different cultures, and our LGBT brothers and sisters. Don't get me wrong. In theory, my church has always taught this as a ideal. But I think maybe it's just that it's hard for some people to step outside their comfort zone and actually put our money where our mouths are. I pushed for that a lot, and sometimes I felt a really awkward, strained feeling in the room, like I was pushing the boundaries. In short, I was still a believer, but was struggling greatly to continue in church activity.

Finally, I started praying about it. For months and months, I'd ask God every day to help me find a place in my church where I could make a different, where I could find peace with how I felt as a Latter-day Saint in a church where I so often felt like a square peg whose edges had been blunted by trying so hard to fit in a round hole. And finally God answered my prayers: He sent me to jail!!!!

Today was out sixth week there. It was our second week on our own. The subject of the lesson (which we taught twice, to two different groups of men) was the Atonement. We had previously been told that we'd be teaching in maximum security today. In max, we just go cell to cell and meet with anyone who wants to listen to a couple of elderly Mormons talk. There are no bars, just a tempered glass door. There is enough space between the door and the wall that we can converse with the inmate. Since we anticipate visiting perhaps a half dozen men in an hour, we just prepare a very abbreviated lesson. We mostly just chat with them about whatever they want to talk about and then leave a brief spiritual message with them. Since we knew we weren't going to have to "teach" in the conventional sense for fifty minutes or so, we were pretty lax about preparing anything.

Well, we got there today and were told that our assignments had changed. We'd be teaching once in medium security and once in minimum. Both times, we'd be in a classroom session, with as many men as wanted to meet with us. When the warden announced that LDS services were about to begin, just two men in medium security joined us. I was kind of bummed out at the lack of interest, but we sat down with them and offered them a message of hope. One of the two inmates gave an opening prayer and the other gave a closing prayer at the end of our visit. We talked about the Atonement of Jesus Christ for forty-five minutes. Both of them shared their thoughts on what the Atonement meant to them, and I hope we left them with some new thoughts to mull over in their minds. By the end of the lesson, both of them were wiping tears from their eyes and the one was having trouble talking without becoming too emotional (which I suspect is not the cool thing to do when in jail). My husband offered at the end of the lesson to give each of them a priesthood blessing, which he did. They were both clearly touched.

We had about ten men in our second class, including some who did not have an LDS background. Several of them asked questions, and we let those who wanted to offer advice to the others have the opportunity to do so. Near the end of our lesson, one of the inmates thanked us profusely for having given of our time. Several others also told us how much our visit had meant to them. The thing is, their thanks was genuine. There was no perfunctory, "Great lesson" like I would occasionally hear when I'd teach in Relief Society. They were sincerely grateful and I can only hope that they felt it was time out of their day that was well-spent.

As for whether I'm helping anyone on the City-Data religion or Christianity forums, well... that's another matter entirely. But one way or the other, they're not even going to try to get rid of me at the jail for another three years, and if I end up leaving City-Data, it won't be by my own choice. It will be because I've lost my cool one too many times and said something to get myself banned. Barring that, you'll all be hearing me preach LDS Christianity for a long time to come, whether it does any good or not!

I think that is wonderful that you are going to jail to speak to people. I can't imagine a more lonesome place than our prisons. You must have a lot of courage and faith to go there. And I hope your husband is an encouragement in this important ministry.

I don't really understand why our country has drifted so far to the political right. Or why a large portion of American Christianity has drifted there with it. My theory is that it is because Satan is the Prince of the Power of the air. I think this means he has been given the power of broadcasting through the airwaves. It's incredible how little there is on any radio in America that one could consider "liberal". It seems like God enjoys allowing us to be bound and then loosened. Maybe that is the only way we can experience God's glory in our lives -- to be born into a prison (earth)/ hell and then be led out to freedom.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:22 AM

22,192 posts, read 19,233,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny question, huh?
Maybe that is what you want ...maybe you never thought about it...I dunno.
I am almost cursed with an in-born nature to teach.
Hahahahha. ...not everyone appreciates that ...lemme tellya!
Miss H (or anyone) how can it be a "curse" to teach? I dont understand that.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:59 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Miss H (or anyone) how can it be a "curse" to teach? I dont understand that.
In SOME cases, Tzaphkiel, the urge to teach proceeds from a position of ignorance and is a curse of to both "teacher" and hearer.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
In SOME cases, Tzaphkiel, the urge to teach proceeds from a position of ignorance and is a curse of to both "teacher" and hearer.
And in others, the urge to teach is really a thinly-disguised urge to preach.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:45 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,167,089 times
The gold and silver of Gods world is accurate doctrine. After 25 years of dead ends but persevering through denominations and useless traditions I found some grace teaching and right division.......and the Bible opened up wonderfully. The truth has been in the book all along, nobody has a secret knowledge, it's available to all. But all can't always see it or want it, throw in the fog of confusion from satan and it's almost impossible to get through to people. All I hope for is that .0002% will see it and get something from it, ALL worthwhile knowledge came as a gift from the Spirit, freely give it out to anybody that will listen......glory to GOD for the book He gave us.......maybe it will help a few.......

Old 12-31-2018, 10:59 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
The gold and silver of Gods world is accurate doctrine. After 25 years of dead ends but persevering through denominations and useless traditions I found some grace teaching and right division.......and the Bible opened up wonderfully. The truth has been in the book all along, nobody has a secret knowledge, it's available to all. But all can't always see it or want it, throw in the fog of confusion from satan and it's almost impossible to get through to people. All I hope for is that .0002% will see it and get something from it, ALL worthwhile knowledge came as a gift from the Spirit, freely give it out to anybody that will listen......glory to GOD for the book He gave us.......maybe it will help a few.......
Yet, you follow the traditional teachings of fundamentalism with their corrupted doctrines.

Old 12-31-2018, 11:44 AM

11,897 posts, read 3,703,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
it’s not just you a lot of people “see“ things in the scriptures

But the word of God is about revelation not traditions, the traditions that take the symbolic as literal are bowing down to the signs which we are told not to do

One spirit, one body, many members is being built up (gathered together) which is the body of Christ

The gold and silver end up here

Rev 17:4 And the woman was clothed in purple and scarlet, and being gilded with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominations and unclean things of her fornication.
Rev 17:5 And on her forehead was a name having been written: Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of the Harlots and of the Abominations of the Earth.

Jas 5:1 Come now, rich ones, weep, howling over your hardships coming on.
Jas 5:2 Your riches have rotted, and your garments have become moth-eaten.
Jas 5:3 Your gold and silver have rusted over, and their poison will be a testimony to you, and will eat your flesh as fire. You heaped treasure in the last days.
Jas 5:4 Behold, the wages of the workmen who have reaped your fields cry out, being kept back by you. And the cries of the ones who have reaped have entered "into the ears of the Lord of Hosts." Isa. 5:9
Jas 5:5 You lived luxuriously on the earth, and lived for self-pleasure; you nourished your hearts as in a day of slaughter;
Jas 5:6 you condemned; you murdered the righteous; he does not resist you.
Patience in Suffering

Jas 5:7 Therefore, brothers, be long-suffering until the coming of the Lord. Behold, the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being long-suffering over it until it may receive the early and the latter rain.
Jas 5:8 You also be long-suffering. Set your hearts firmly, because the coming of the Lord has drawn near.
Jas 5:9 Do not murmur against one another, brothers, that you not be condemned. Behold, the Judge stands before the door.
Jas 5:10 My brothers, as an example of suffering ill, and of longsuffering, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord.
Jas 5:11 Behold, we call those blessed who endure. You have heard of the patience of Job, and you saw the end of the Lord, "that the Lord is full of tender mercy and pity."
Psa. 103:8
Jas 5:12 But before all things, my brothers, do not swear, neither by the heaven, nor by the earth, nor any other oath. But let your yes be yes, and the no, no, that you may not fall under judgment.

Don’t let your knowledge become a stumbling block for you, when you get a piece of knowledge it is easy to get puffed up and think you are better, wiser than everyone else then a fall comes

Old 01-01-2019, 03:58 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Yet, you follow the traditional teachings of fundamentalism with their corrupted doctrines.

What exactly are the "teachings of fundamentalism", and exactly what are their "corrupted doctrines"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity