Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 01:32 PM

709 posts, read 378,734 times

Advertisements

3. If any man teacheth a different doctrine, and consenteth not to sound words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4. he is puffed up, knowing nothing, but doting about questionings and disputes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5. wranglings of men corrupted in mind and bereft of the truth, supposing that godliness is a way of gain.

6. But godliness with contentment is great gain: (1 Tim. 6)

This spiritual writing of our dear brother Paulus has a great message also for us today. How much we see endless disputes about words, and how little we see godliness in man?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 06:01 PM

45,677 posts, read 27,299,876 times
Good post.

Contentment is overlooked, especially in the American culture.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,347,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Good post.

How about church culture and what is the contentment being overlooked?.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:53 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,267,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Good post.

contentment with??

Old 01-21-2019, 07:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,434,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post

This spiritual writing of our dear brother Paulus has a great message also for us today.
How much we see endless disputes about words, and how little we see godliness in man?
I see tons of godliness in my group of friends...and most are shockingly content, (meaning
with most anything; the sudden issues of life that pop up for all of us... just generally flowing down the stream with 'whatever')...
kindness is all around...in my space...if not, cuz someone is having a bad day and projecting out,
Ya just be kind and help them with their bad day...never make the mistake of taking anything personally...
that's the trick of the egoic mind.
That is 1 key to compassion and wisdom, thus, a peaceful contentment in this life here.
My 2 cents.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:03 AM

1,146 posts, read 650,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Ainasoja View Post
3. If any man teacheth a different doctrine, and consenteth not to sound words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

4. he is puffed up, knowing nothing, but doting about questionings and disputes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

5. wranglings of men corrupted in mind and bereft of the truth, supposing that godliness is a way of gain.

This spiritual writing of our dear brother Paulus has a great message also for us today. How much we see endless disputes about words, and how little we see godliness in man?
Do you know what happens to contented cows?

They are milked until they are dry and then they are led to slaughter.

Pretty much like church people in America today. They are so contented they haven't a clue as to what's going on around them or within them.

Only dead fish swim with the current.

READ THE BOOK OF JAMES.

True discipleship means DOING WORKING and ACTING on one's faith - not sitting on pillowed seats in a weekly ceremony that induces spiritual coma.

WAKE UP. GET BUSY while there's still something to do.

Because if you continue to wallow in your "contentment" you will, like the cows afield, eventually be led to slaughter. On that day it will be too late for you, because everybody else will too sleepy to even notice you're gone.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,267,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I see tons of godliness in my group of friends...and most are shockingly content, (meaning
with most anything; the sudden issues of life that pop up for all of us... just generally flowing down the stream with 'whatever')...
kindness is all around...in my space...if not, cuz someone is having a bad day and projecting out,
Ya just be kind and help them with their bad day...never make the mistake of taking anything personally...
that's the trick of the egoic mind.
That is 1 key to compassion and wisdom, thus, a peaceful contentment in this life here.
My 2 cents.
So they are all content with starvation? Dying from lack of medical are? Dying from being homeless?

Poverty? Cancer? lack of education?

Just generally flowing down the stream with whatever dos not affect them directly?

Old 01-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
So they are all content with starvation? Dying from lack of medical are? Dying from being homeless?
Poverty? Cancer? lack of education?
Just generally flowing down the stream with whatever dos not affect them directly?
Yup...except one, he gets heated up talking about politics and the lies of the world's banking system.
Otherwise , he, in particular, is the mellowest person with
everything that happens to him...even the flooding of his home...I mean really flooding...his whole street
neighbors crying with all their belongings as trash now on the street type-flooding days later.
But, politics get to him and I ask him to let's change the subject and breathe.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:43 AM

My take: Conflict creates growth, yes, indeed...you really don't get to contentment without it.
Somewhere along the way
you had suffering and conflict to reach to the point of peace, calm, clarity, wisdom, confidence,
compassion, caring and contentment.

Old 01-21-2019, 10:45 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,859,226 times
Paul further affirmed the meaning of his letter in 1 Tim. 6 -- in his letter to the Phillippians (4:11-13):

"11 I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do all this through him who gives me strength."

He was saying that when our peace, contentment and joy depend on Christ, not our circumstances, we will live our lives in calm, peaceful contentment, regardless of life's obstacles and difficulties. In other places, he described lives that were truly vested in the principles, truths and works of Jesus Christ. These teachings are not a 'one or the other' proposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity