Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 03:26 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
I think it is wonderful you would take communion at mass.My sister in law (baptist)did
I wish catholicism was accepting of all Christians .

As for myself,I participated in passover,seder,all jewish special times .

I also talk about Jesus as a Jewish man in my catholic religious education classes (geared to age appropriate)

So far have not been reprimanded (through grace of God /Yahweh)
amen!! great! actually, I have many times when I was a kid in high school and went to my bestests friends mass... I didn't know they thought it was wrong.. so it was not wrong TO me.. because I took communion every church I went too. as best I remember..

I thought God controlled it just fine by his own words... about "unworthily" AND "WHY SOME ARE SICK" AMONG US IS THAT THEY DO IT UNWORTHILY..
I THOUGHT THAT IS ENOUGH OF A DETERRENT TO AT LEAST MAKE PEOPLE SLOW DOWN A MINUTE AND TAKE STOCK OF THEIR LIFE AND ALL FORMS OF THEIR COMMUNICATIONS WITH HIM/ WITH HIS WORD/ PRAYER / FASTING OR SERVICE WHATEVER... ETC.. , TO STOP FOR A MINUTE OR TWO AND PRAY ABOUT OUR HEARTS CONDITIONS.... WE SHOULD DO COMMUNION EVERY DAY AT EVERY MEAL.. REALLY..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 02-06-2019 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 06:53 AM

12,386 posts, read 8,146,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Now that I think about it, I might get offended at this actually. I'm not the kind who usually likes to take communion anyway. I don't like a preacher forcing me to "drink the Koolaid" when he says Go! There are some cool rituals associated with religion, but sometimes I think people are too forceful about these things. I actually left a church once and it was partly because they expected me to take communion whenever they had it. No go.
But of course as part of the community witnesses you are not forced to go take communion anymore than you are required to take part in any other event of the Kabuki Theatre of the matching party dresses, spreading flower petals, handing off rings to the spouses and marching down the aisle for the greater community audience to be entertained by.

What is strange is in what the Catholic would call a mixed marriage would be a significant portion of the community witnesses but not the actual just married couple joining in communion as the priest, since he presumably knows the church membership status of the marrying couple is supposed to only offer blessings and not the meal elements to the non Catholic Church member..

As to the OP and why don't evangelicals do it. It was an option from my pastor. Only it would have been just the marrying couple sharing a first communion ritual meal as a married family and not the witnesses in attendance also coming forward or having elements spread out to them. In comparison to anyone who was a church member and been through confession who was at the combination mass and marriage ceremony being invited forward as the Catholic Church does when they run the wedding ceremony.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:40 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
But of course as part of the community witnesses you are not forced to go take communion anymore than you are required to take part in any other event of the Kabuki Theatre of the matching party dresses, spreading flower petals, handing off rings to the spouses and marching down the aisle for the greater community audience to be entertained by.

What is strange is in what the Catholic would call a mixed marriage would be a significant portion of the community witnesses but not the actual just married couple joining in communion as the priest, since he presumably knows the church membership status of the marrying couple is supposed to only offer blessings and not the meal elements to the non Catholic Church member..

As to the OP and why don't evangelicals do it. It was an option from my pastor. Only it would have been just the marrying couple sharing a first communion ritual meal as a married family and not the witnesses in attendance also coming forward or having elements spread out to them. In comparison to anyone who was a church member and been through confession who was at the combination mass and marriage ceremony being invited forward as the Catholic Church does when they run the wedding ceremony.
I agree with you. Still there are some churches who push and encourage everyone to take part.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:02 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times
Communion is commonly conducted for the bride and groom at a wedding to focus their attention on keeping Christ at the center of their marriage. I've not seen it conducted for the general audience at a wedding, nor would I conduct it in that venue.

On the contrary, communion, like baptism, is about individuals identifying themselves with the baptism and sacrifice of Christ. It is totally inappropriate to serve communion (or to baptize) non-Christians in any setting (Catholic or Protestant) ... and both generally discourage non-Christians from participating in the ritual.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:04 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,412 times
In the Bible, Communion is only for baptized Christians, I think? So I wouldn't have it at a wedding because it could exclude people.

Old 02-09-2019, 08:19 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
I agree with you. Still there are some churches who push and encourage everyone to take part.

I think the term you're searching for is 'welcome.' After all, you are not being frog-marched up to the altar. There is no usher with a bayonet prodding you up the aisle. You are a person with agency and if you opt to sit in the pew like a stone nobody, and I mean nobody, will care. So the term 'push' is just absolutely absurd on your part, nothing more than dishonest hyperbole to prop up an argument.

A wedding is a religious ceremony. And you're basically railing at a couple for choosing to follow fully their prescribed faith's rite on marriage. If you don't like it, don't attend. It's really that simple.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 02-09-2019 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think the term you're searching for is 'welcome.' After all, you are not being frog-marched up to the altar. There is no usher with a bayonet prodding you up the aisle. You are a person with agency and if you opt to sit in the pew like a stone nobody, and I mean nobody, will care. So the term 'push' is just absolutely absurd on your part, nothing more than dishonest hyperbole to prop up an argument.

A wedding is a religious ceremony. And you're basically railing at a couple for choosing to follow fully their prescribed faith's rite on marriage. If you don't like it, don't attend. It's really that simple.
Still, I'm talking about small churches with very clear "encouragement" and pushing of all members to participate. Perhaps even commenting afterwards on the nonparticipation during the message which follows. I would probably have to leave the group if I ever came to something like that happening again.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Still, I'm talking about small churches with very clear "encouragement" and pushing of all members to participate. Perhaps even commenting afterwards on the nonparticipation during the message which follows. I would probably have to leave the group if I ever came to something like that happening again.

Weird, I've attended countless weddings in all kinds of churches, from primitive Baptist to high-church Episcopalian and Catholic. Never witnessed what you're talking about. If you've actually witnessed such a thing, then I'm pretty sure you took something completely innocuous and have blown it completely out of context. Now off you go. Gin up an anecdote to support your case.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Weird, I've attended countless weddings in all kinds of churches, from primitive Baptist to high-church Episcopalian and Catholic. Never witnessed what you're talking about. If you've actually witnessed such a thing, then I'm pretty sure you took something completely innocuous and have blown it completely out of context. Now off you go. Gin up an anecdote to support your case.
Sorry. The topic had drifted away from weddings into general church communion for a while. But you are correct, that would be strange at a wedding. lol

Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Quote:
QUESTION:
Is it common for Catholics to have communion at a wedding? Because this idea seems more like something that an evangelical would do. As far as imposing their beliefs on a group of people. Even a recently converted Catholic might behave this way.
It's not imposing any belief on anyone. It's asking their friends and family to take part in a tradition that's important to them. Anyone can decline and in fact, if one isn't a Christian, they should definitely decline. No need for a scene. Just pass. It's no big deal really. I've seen all kinds of things at weddings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity