Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:09 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiram2 View Post
Yes, they do have a union. It is called "The World" and you pay your dues to Satan.

Pope in latin means papa. Or perhaps father. He is the father who ain't in heaven. As compared to God.

[1] And it came to pass, that, as he was praying in a certain place, when he ceased, one of his disciples said unto him, Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples. [2] And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven,

They don't fire anyone, because they are all like minded. And they do not like to marry because they prefer other genders and ages.
You paint with a wide and idiotic brush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 12:08 AM

72 posts, read 20,556 times
Please check out the link and hear Sister Charlotte's testimony. She gives her story of a cloistered Nun, and what she experienced. Catholic Priests can do whatever they want hiding behind the cloak of religion and closed doors away from the outside world.
It is a bit long and hope some of you can have a look at it.

https://www.jesus-is-lord.com/charlot1.htm

I once read where there was a group of boys staying in a monastery. Also were several Priests staying in there as well. At night some of the little boys would have to spend the night with the Priest. All the children knew what was going on. Well how can you have a dozen grown men or so, all in one place, putting up with this whether they were all doing it or just some of them. The children all knew what was happening.

In the eyes of God this is an abomination. And scripture says anyone who approves of it will suffer the same consequence.

Last edited by hiram2; 06-23-2020 at 12:26 AM.. Reason: link not hot

Old 06-23-2020, 05:42 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
You know, I married into a devoutly Catholic family. I refused to become Catholic, staying in the Episcopal Church instead. My reasons were several from a theological point of view. But at no time did I doubt the faith of my in-laws or their very large family.

But I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the sheer number of sexual abuse cases that have come to light in the Catholic church. Even more disturbing than the sexual assault, however, is the fact that the Catholic hierarchy covered up for the abuses. Not just in a handful of instances, but as an ongoing practice worldwide.

This is not to say that most priest are abusers, or even a substantial minority. No where close. The large majority of priests perform their ministry faithfully. But nevertheless, they are part of a church that not only had extensive documentation of these unspeakable acts, but actively abetted the men who did it. The very fact that multiple American states have had to invoke racketeering laws to get at the records of the local dioceses to see how many priests were diddling kids are all you need to know. The only moral thing would have been to turn the offending priest over to the police. Yet they didn't.

And yet my in-laws and the rest of my wife's very large family pretend nothing has happened, that this is the case of a few bad actors. I realize that it's hard to come to grips with the fact that your faith has been responsible for such monstrous crimes against the most vulnerable. But it astonishes me how next to no one actually sees the need for institutional reform.

No denomination has clean hands, of course. They are human institutions with all that brings to the equation. The Baptists in particular has had a serious problem, chiefly because individual churches tend to be highly independent and not answerable to a higher authority in their organizations. But most churches with any kind of organization typically deal with reports of this quickly and in cooperation with the authorities. In my denomination, I know of one sexual misconduct incident, that of a priest having an inappropriate relationship with the church organist. Within an hour of the diocese finding out, the Bishop was there to remove the priest, with a supply priest put in place the next day. And I think that kind of action is the case in most denominations.

But Catholicism seems to be especially prone to scandals like this. I don't know why. Overshadowed by the priest sex scandals is another one, that of the nuns running orphanages. To wit:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...uns-st-josephs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ive-questions/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...d-abuse-claims

I'd post more articles but, quite frankly, the sheer number of cases coming to light is too depressing to contemplate. Which leads me to ask my Catholic brethren in faith: Why have you tolerated this in your church? This scandal has been raging on in the American church for almost a quarter century now, yet the rank and file still haven't demanded reform. To be sure, there are a few vocal proponents. But overall, it seems to be business as usual. Why?

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 06-23-2020 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 08:21 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I'd post more articles but, quite frankly, the sheer number of cases coming to light is too depressing to contemplate. Which leads me to ask my Catholic brethren in faith: Why have you tolerated this in your church? This scandal has been raging on in the American church for almost a quarter century now, yet the rank and file still haven't demanded reform. To be sure, there are a few vocal proponents. But overall, it seems to be business as usual. Why?
Yes, it is quite depressing.
However it is not 'business as usual' nor being tolerated. While historically the organization and running of the individual world-wide bishoprics/diocese has been quite 'un-organized' and not uniform, the church body neither accepts nor condones such behavior. Church-wide programs including 'Keeping children Safe' and 'Safe Environment' were instituted rapidly (decades ago) as abuses came to light and all parishes and adults involved in any church ministry are required to be certified/maintained thru the program. It includes policy changes at every parish, school & ministry (including no child is ever to be alone with a single adult ever, regardless of who or what program), background checks, policies for reporting (including teaching children to be communicative), etc.
Millions have been thru these training and policy changes, and as a parent with 5 children I can affirm a vested interest. I too must maintain certification, and periodic background checks and global record systems that prevent church-hopping for bad actors. So you see, the reform necessary to stamp out the abuses is occurring and now have permanent policies and councils now in place, INCLUDING independent review boards/certifications, and annual audits.
I agree that every 'bad actor' needs to be rooted out, and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible by law (abuse of children) - and continued policy revision, no matter which denomination.

There are perhaps a million links to the programs worldwide, here are just a few:
https://www.safeinourdiocese.org/
https://fwdioc.org/safe-environment
https://www.cathdal.org/a-safe-environment
http://www.usccb.org/about/child-and-youth-protection/
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...dren-1.4279737

Last edited by CCCyou; 06-23-2020 at 08:47 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 09:13 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,083,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiram2 View Post
Please check out the link and hear Sister Charlotte's testimony. She gives her story of a cloistered Nun, and what she experienced. Catholic Priests can do whatever they want hiding behind the cloak of religion and closed doors away from the outside world.
It is a bit long and hope some of you can have a look at it.

https://www.jesus-is-lord.com/charlot1.htm

I once read where there was a group of boys staying in a monastery. Also were several Priests staying in there as well. At night some of the little boys would have to spend the night with the Priest. All the children knew what was going on. Well how can you have a dozen grown men or so, all in one place, putting up with this whether they were all doing it or just some of them. The children all knew what was happening.

In the eyes of God this is an abomination. And scripture says anyone who approves of it will suffer the same consequence.
“... our Holy Founder, St. Paul of the Cross...”So, she is stating that Paul is the founder of Christianity from your link above....

Old 06-23-2020, 09:17 AM

11,154 posts, read 7,211,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...gihM63U9K4vknQ
Why are they unable to find normal men to be priests in the same %, as secular society?
Why do millions of people continue to allow and facilitate that religion and denomination to continue it's dirty deeds? As long as the atmosphere is there for that to happen, and people inside and outside that church don't speak up and take action, the same nonsense will continue for more centuries. Dropping the surprise, dysfunction, and bogus innocence is Step #1. All being accountable would be Step #2.

Obviously, doing what is needed continues to take a back seat to perpetuating the status quo and history of abuse.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:53 AM

10,505 posts, read 7,071,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Yes, it is quite depressing.
However it is not 'business as usual' nor being tolerated. While historically the organization and running of the individual world-wide bishoprics/diocese has been quite 'un-organized' and not uniform, the church body neither accepts nor condones such behavior. Church-wide programs including 'Keeping children Safe' and 'Safe Environment' were instituted rapidly (decades ago) as abuses came to light and all parishes and adults involved in any church ministry are required to be certified/maintained thru the program. It includes policy changes at every parish, school & ministry (including no child is ever to be alone with a single adult ever, regardless of who or what program), background checks, policies for reporting (including teaching children to be communicative), etc.
Millions have been thru these training and policy changes, and as a parent with 5 children I can affirm a vested interest. I too must maintain certification, and periodic background checks and global record systems that prevent church-hopping for bad actors. So you see, the reform necessary to stamp out the abuses is occurring and now have permanent policies and councils now in place, INCLUDING independent review boards/certifications, and annual audits.
I agree that every 'bad actor' needs to be rooted out, and prosecuted to the fullest extent possible by law (abuse of children) - and continued policy revision, no matter which denomination.

There are perhaps a million links to the programs worldwide, here are just a few:
https://www.safeinourdiocese.org/
https://fwdioc.org/safe-environment
https://www.cathdal.org/a-safe-environment
Child and Youth Protection
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/soci...dren-1.4279737

Thank you for that. But I worry that these reforms have been sporadic, not sweeping in nature. After all, most of these links represent diocesan, not universal, efforts. And while the dioceses above take it seriously, there doesn't seem to be a nationwide commitment. I mean, when state attorneys in places such as Michigan, Georgia, and elsewhere are having to institute legal action to see the church's records on this subject, that doesn't speak to institutional commitment.

One of the links you provided above was for the US Council of Catholic Bishops. I do think they are trying to take the initiative. But I need to note that their efforts were effectively stymied in November, 2018. That's when the Vatican forbade the US Conference of Catholic Bishops from voting for greater accountability of bishops and setting up a more streamlined process for hearing complaints. To my knowledge, that effort has not been resumed. If not, then it tells me that the Vatican does not view the scandal with the kind of urgency that it deserves.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:33 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Thank you for that. But I worry that these reforms have been sporadic, not sweeping in nature. After all, most of these links represent diocesan, not universal, efforts. And while the dioceses above take it seriously, there doesn't seem to be a nationwide commitment. I mean, when state attorneys in places such as Michigan, Georgia, and elsewhere are having to institute legal action to see the church's records on this subject, that doesn't speak to institutional commitment.

One of the links you provided above was for the US Council of Catholic Bishops. I do think they are trying to take the initiative. But I need to note that their efforts were effectively stymied in November, 2018. That's when the Vatican forbade the US Conference of Catholic Bishops from voting for greater accountability of bishops and setting up a more streamlined process for hearing complaints. To my knowledge, that effort has not been resumed. If not, then it tells me that the Vatican does not view the scandal with the kind of urgency that it deserves.
It most definitely is a universal/sweeping ongoing open effort & requirement, backed by open independent audits.

Here is link to the universal Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People (Charter link @ page bottom) - Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People

Here is link to one recent overall annual audit (current audit links at bottom of page) - Audits

The Vatican response is also sweeping and ongoing - too many links to post but this one is a good jump-off point, and neutral - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curial...al_abuse_cases

I do agree that efforts need to continue in this process and they will.

Last edited by CCCyou; 06-23-2020 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-23-2020, 10:36 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
The corruption in the church has not been addressed instead sermons are given to congress on the unchristian nature of walls and guns from he who has lots of both

Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 AM

72 posts, read 20,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
“... our Holy Founder, St. Paul of the Cross...”So, she is stating that Paul is the founder of Christianity from your link above....
Being a Passionist Nun: I had always desired to enter more deeply into the mystery of Jesus' love for us in His sacred Passion. Where better than a Passionist Monastery where one takes a vow to promote devotion to and grateful remembrance of the Passion of Jesus? Flowing out of this main vow we take four other vows: Chastity, Poverty, Obedience and Enclosure. Prayer, penance, poverty, silence and solitude are a very important part of our spirit handed down to us by our Holy Founder, St. Paul of the Cross. Also, a deep love for our Spouse, Jesus in the Eucharist [a cracker Romans call "Jesus"]; devotion to our Immaculate Mother and fidelity to the Magisterium of the church attracted me to this hidden way of life, where prayer knows no bounds.

Yes, that is a statement taken and linked off of another web site, not from the Sister Charolette site that I presented. Every denomination has different beliefs contrary to the word of God. So they can say whatever they want, does not make it true. God says we have to discern what is the truth and diligently seek Him.

Christ is mediator and path to God through the new covenant that came into it's fullness in 70AD at the destruction of the physical temple in Jerusalem.

The ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH is a corporation. It was founded by man and not God. Therefore it belongs to man, and man can implement whatever catechisms or traditions he wants.

Corporation is from the word "corpse," which means a dead body. A corporation has no soul, and those without a soul are dead.

Excerpt from "The Devil's Dictionary" by Ambrose Bierce
Corporation: An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity