Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 11:46 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,393,070 times

Advertisements

That's all.

Paul was writing letters to the people of Corinth who he had visited...he was not talking to me,
Miss H in 2019...tho, I can take much wisdom from things he said...as I do with Mark Twain
Aldous Huxley, William Blake or even Dr. Phil..but Mr. Twain was not talking to me, knowing my life situation.
Jesus was also talking 'to' specific people...the woman at the well, the rich guy attached to his riches, Martha slaving
while Mary was cooing into Jesus' eyes...
He wasn't talking to 'me'.
It is up to my discernment to take in any wisdom that will aid in my growth and to lead
a great life with, of course.

I do make a slight exception..I always listen to someone that has fasted 40 days in a desert ...he was talking to Mankind.
You must use your God-given brain to figure these things out, no?
'Talking to that person...talking to all posterity'.

Comments? Ha, can't wait...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 11:57 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,710,413 times
God speaks to me inside my heart. He sometimes uses scriptures, and often many other things around me - people, situations, thoughts. Paul doesn't know me. Jesus does.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,839,105 times
Either one believes "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works" ... or one does not. Either one believes "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever" ... or one does not. (2 Tim 3:16-17 - Heb. 13:8).

Either one believes that God adjusts His Word and truth to match what each individual personally believes ... or one does not.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Depends on the perspective context.
There are examples that do not apply to the current congregations.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:52 PM

17,803 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post

Paul was writing letters
Why have Christians never understood that it is rude to read other people's mail?

Old 03-04-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Depends on the perspective context.
There are examples that do not apply to the current congregations.
Well, that is what I think.
I know I brought up Jesus and Paul...but since it was brought up...believing in all the Bible that naturally would mean all these would apply 'to you'...now...
(And this has all been said before, sorry, gets so old..):

-If the wife....putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." -Deut 25

-"And if a woman have...issue in her flesh be blood, ..... every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes,....Leviticus

And so on and so forth about stoning people in the square, etc.
So most people do not believe in all of the Bible as if it were talking to 'them'.
Who here just believes those 2 sentences above? And if you do I can list plenty more...maybe Mennonites believe in all of Deut and Leviticus still.

But it seems more so with Jesus and Paul.

Old 03-04-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Why have Christians never understood that
it is rude to read other people's mail?
Now THAT is funny and a very good point....what Paul said to the followers in Ephesus in Turkey in 70 ad...he didn't say to others....
why think it was meant for me? ( Not there is not wisdom there!)

And Paul's letters were simply 'picked or allowed' to be in the Bible...others were tossed.

And thank you all for your input.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,810,097 times
Quote:
Well, that is what I think.
I know I brought up Jesus and Paul...but since it was brought up...believing in all the Bible that naturally would mean all these would apply 'to you'...now...
(And this has all been said before, sorry, gets so old..):

-If the wife....putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: Then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." -Deut 25

-"And if a woman have...issue in her flesh be blood, ..... every thing also that she sitteth upon shall be unclean. And whosoever toucheth her bed shall wash his clothes,....Leviticus

And so on and so forth about stoning people in the square, etc.
So most people do not believe in all of the Bible as if it were talking to 'them'.
Who here just believes those 2 sentences above? And if you do I can list plenty more...maybe Mennonites believe in all of Deut and Leviticus still.

But it seems more so with Jesus and Paul.
What is plainly said by the whole of the Holy scripture is True.

What may not apply in context is guilt.
While ole sh'aul addresses a congregation in a letter to family of the past. If a person felt the Holy Spirit prick their bynyammin so to speak. Then they should listen to the guilt felt and repent.
If they do not there will be severe consequences for searing the conscience.
An example would be Saul of the tribe of Binyamin who was puffed up with and by wicked counsel.

Lovingly warn even the enemy of your own house with wise counsel in a strength of forgiveness. If the Saul refuses to hear.

Dust your feet off just as the Lord instructed.

"Bless those who curse....."

Last edited by pinacled; 03-04-2019 at 02:46 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Either one believes "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: [17] That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works" ... or one does not. Either one believes "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever" ... or one does not. (2 Tim 3:16-17 - Heb. 13:8).

Either one believes that God adjusts His Word and truth to match what each individual personally believes ... or one does not.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 is in reference to 2 Timothy 3:15, "that from childhood you have known the sacred writings", which would be the Law and the prophets, and does not refer to the writings of the false prophet Paul, of which 2 Timothy 3:16-17, would be one of those. To believe that God does not change, you would have to reject the testimony of Paul. Once you do that, things get much easier.

Old 03-04-2019, 02:26 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:
Now THAT is funny and a very good point....what Paul said to the followers in Ephesus in Turkey in 70 ad...he didn't say to others....
why think it was meant for me? ( Not there is not wisdom there!)

And Paul's letters were simply 'picked or allowed' to be in the Bible...others were tossed.

And thank you all for your input.
Well, the thought of scholars is that Paul only wrote about half of his epistles. My view is if the epistle doesn't repeatedly state that he is an apostle of "Christ Jesus" etc. etc. etc., it was written by someone with a less inferiority complex (Napoleon complex) than Paul. The other half you can toss, because they are written by Paul. All was meant for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity