Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:33 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times

Advertisements

Marilyn Sewell is a uniterian universalist not to be confused with our esteemed reconciliation universalist collegues in this room but Marilyn is a liberal Christian who doesn't believe you can take the bible literally especially the resurrection of Christ and she doesn't particularly care for people of my ilk.

Is she a Christian???? and before you say, I can't judge, that's not my job. Listen to how the atheist Christopher Hitchens lays it down on what is a Christian to her in the first minute. It might be an example for many in here. I absolutely love what Christopher Hitchens says about fundamentalist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp1XqK49XQY

Last edited by Fundamentalist; 02-02-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:39 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
YIKES!!! He busts the non-believing believer. Interesting vid fundie...

FWIW - she makes some decent point to "People believed a lot of things..."

Old 02-04-2010, 02:51 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,011,213 times
Death, Burial and Resurrection!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:43 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post

[b]Is she a Christian????
She clearly states she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist

Listen to how the atheist Christopher Hitchens lays it down on what is a Christian to her in the first minute. It might be an example for many in here.
If you listen beyond the first minute, Hitchens says this:

"I don't think there's any evidence at all for the life of Jesus."

"The safest, by far, conclusion is that there is no supernatural dimension whatever."

"...I have no quarrel with you; if all Christians were like you, I wouldn't have had to write the book."

It's no secret that Christopher Hitchen's is very knowledgeable about religious beliefs/nonbelief, and what underlies that. However, it is interesting to June that based upon what he is really saying in that video, that you would somehow use it to underscore the validity of fundamentalist Christianity.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:59 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
By all means....let's use the argument of an atheist to support fundamentalism.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
What does this prove anyway?

It's not that she doesn't KNOW, it's simply she doesn't believe/has a different interpretation.

It comes down to the definition of a Christian. I think a true Christian believes Christ's claims about himself, but Christian is sometimes used in a more general way.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:33 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
It does not appear to me that that woman is a true believer. She denies the Resurrection, a fundamental belief all Christian's have in common- not matter how loosely the term is applied.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
There have been posts of June 7th's (you know the atheist from Mass) on here that i would say have been more scriptually sound than much of what has been posted by christians .
The sons of God which we are referred to by the scriptures (and not christians) , are led by the Spirit of God and that same Spirit bears witness that we are .
To convince yourself that you are a son of God because you believe the bible and what is claimed has christian doctrine, is simply plain stupidity.I believe this is the fundamental error of the fundamental church that it bases it's sonship on knowledge of the bible , rather than the witness of the Spirit.
I am not saying there is anything wrong with this but greeking and hebrewing the bible to death is no witness that you are a son.Infact Christopher Hitchens's knowledge of the bible and christian doctrine is plain to see, but does he have the witness that he is a son of God ?.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
There have been posts of June 7th's (you know the atheist from Mass) on here that i would say have been more scriptually sound than much of what has been posted by christians .

Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
However, it is interesting to June that based upon what he is really saying in that video, that you would somehow use it to underscore the validity of fundamentalist Christianity.
I think what Fundie is saying is that CH understands that their are fundamental beliefs required to own the tag "Christian" whereas the lady does not understand that.

I agree with him, however as CH ALSO pointed out - Jesus Himself did not found Christianity proper. Paul did. Something the fundies may need to think about.

I'm sure the Lady's point is that she can believe in the fundamental ideas of Jesus' love and sacrifice without embracing the all the concepts which morphed into a dominant world religion/creedal belief system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity