Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 07:10 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,800,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ha...these folks don't go over to the Buddhist section..I do not believe they have ever thought of this idea...ever.
How would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2019, 07:14 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,486,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How would you know?
Some go over, sure.
I have been on Christian forums for well over a decade....talk with many many Christians, heard
many many preachers, oh my...No one
not even myself, has ever spoken of going to hell to help.
Pardon the heck outta me for not saying "most folks".

Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,805,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Some go over, sure.
I have been on Christian forums for well over a decade....talk with many many Christians, heard
many many preachers, oh my...No one
not even myself, has ever spoken of going to hell to help.
Pardon the heck outta me for not saying "most folks".
Same here. The concept of going to hell to help suffering beings never occurred to me until mid-life, and a Buddhist mentioned it. I was like "WHAT??" I couldn't wrap my mind around it. I just kept saying "That's crazy! That's impossible!" "Good luck with that!" as we had several animated discussions, until finally, over the years, I realized that's the heart of Christ.

Old 07-28-2019, 07:43 AM

1,146 posts, read 652,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So on my exJW board, someone posted the question "what if the Watchtower is right?". I answered that I left fully expecting to be destroyed at Armageddon because I knew I wasn't paradise material. I found comfort in the fact that one day there would be no more sorrow. If that meant people like me had to go, so be it. Who am I to argue with God? It was actually hard for me to come to terms with them lying to me about all that.

So those of you that believe that you have the correct belief, how would you feel if it turned out you were wrong and the guy you thought was going to hell was right and he went to heaven and you went to hell? Would you accept that willingly because it was God's will? Would you plead your case hoping for some mercy? How would you want to be treated in that case?
The Bible nowhere certifies the endless conscious torment of sinners after physical death.

The idea was developed by ancient Egyptians, modified by Greek & Roman classic mythology and adopted by the church. The concept of eternal suffering is financially sound because it inspires members to donate gifts to the clergy for prayers and spiritual favors for those who've passed on. It has nothing to do with the context of Biblical thought.

Jesus is not the commandant of a Nazi S&M dungeon in the bowels of the earth.

God kills. God does not torture.

The soul that sins shall die. - Ezekiel 18:20

The Bible teaches the Second Death - the absolute destruction of body and spirit of sinners who refuse to accept God's Law.

"Fear Him who can destroy both body and spirit." - Jesus as quoted by Matthew 10:28

According to the Bible, there is no part of a human being that survives physical death.

Then the LORD said, "My Spirit will not contend with humans forever, for they are mortal; - Genesis 6:3a

According to the Bible, God is the only being who possesses the quality of immortal life.

“who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light†- 1 Timothy 6:16

THE BEAUTY of the gospel - the Good News of the gospel - is that God has chosen to CONDITIONALLY grant immortal life to humans.

The conditions are:
- that one must repent of one's sins and wickedness (stop doing)
- that one must understand God ONLY accepts the blood of Jesus as sacrifice for sin
- that one must present one's self to God, appealing to the death of Christ as payment for one's own sin
- that one must ask for forgiveness personally (it's not automatic and no priest can do it for you)

All of the above is in accord with Levitical Law regarding sacrifice for sins and appealing to God for forgiveness. Justification is not automatic and neither wanted nor granted to everyone. It must be asked for in humility sincerity and in integrity of intent to abandon the ways of sin.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A LICENSE TO SIN.

God does not justify sinners. Those who refuse God's generous gift of forgiveness will suffer the Second Death - absolute deletion, extinction and annihilation.

Wisdom suggests one obtain this forgiveness and immortality and abandon sin.

One way or the other sin will come to an end.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Old 07-28-2019, 08:02 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,630,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
The Bible nowhere certifies the endless conscious torment of sinners after physical death.
Yes it does. A simple reading of Revelation 19:20 through Revelation 20:10 shows the beast and the false prophet being thrown into the lake of fire before the thousand years, and being joined by Satan after the thousand years, and it being said of them all, that they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. So the beast and the false prophet will have already been in torment in the lake of fire for one thousand years before being joined by Satan. It then being said that the torment would continue forever. All you have to do is read it.

You may not agree with it, you may not like it. . .but there it is.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:14 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,401,363 times
I have been through it and survived, there were areas I didn’t visit which apparently are worse. The comfort I had was , hearing the still small voice saying I am with you wherever you go.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:16 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,454,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes it does. A simple reading of Revelation 19:20 through Revelation 20:10 shows the beast and the false prophet being thrown into the lake of fire before the thousand years, and being joined by Satan after the thousand years, and it being said of them all, that they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. So the beast and the false prophet will have already been in torment in the lake of fire for one thousand years before being joined by Satan. It then being said that the torment would continue forever. All you have to do is read it.

Get behind me, SATAN, with your false notions (deceptive and misleading - beliefs) of eternal damnation.

Or, should we just say that false crap of suffering forever, and ever.

Old 07-28-2019, 08:22 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,060,720 times
Quote:

Mike: It is time for an awakening in your poor dismal dogma!

"When religion is in the hands of the mere natural man, he is always the worse for it; it adds a bad heat to his own dark fire and helps to inflame his four elements of selfishness, envy, pride, and wrath. And hence it is the worst passions, or a worse degree of them are to be found in persons of great religious zeal than in others that made no pretenses to it. History also furnishes us with instances of persons of great piety and devotion who have fallen into great delusions and deceived both themselves and others. The occasion of their fall was this.....They considered their whole nature as the subject of religion and divine graces; and therefore their religion was according to the workings of their whole nature, and the old man was as busy and as much delighted in it as the new." -Wm. Law (Christian Regeneration)-

Behold I make ALL [things] new!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOkImV2cJDg

Old 07-28-2019, 08:26 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,630,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Mike: It is time for an awakening in your poor dismal dogma!

"When religion is in the hands of the mere natural man, he is always the worse for it; it adds a bad heat to his own dark fire and helps to inflame his four elements of selfishness, envy, pride, and wrath. And hence it is the worst passions, or a worse degree of them are to be found in persons of great religious zeal than in others that made no pretenses to it. History also furnishes us with instances of persons of great piety and devotion who have fallen into great delusions and deceived both themselves and others. The occasion of their fall was this.....They considered their whole nature as the subject of religion and divine graces; and therefore their religion was according to the workings of their whole nature, and the old man was as busy and as much delighted in it as the new." -Wm. Law (Christian Regeneration)-

Behold I make ALL [things] new!
Isn't it about time for you to pull your head out of your rear end?

Old 07-28-2019, 08:30 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,284,769 times
Quote:
Isn't it about time for you to pull your head out of your rear end?
LOL. Look who's talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity