Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 06:50 PM

16,151 posts, read 6,465,102 times

Advertisements

So on my exJW board, someone posted the question "what if the Watchtower is right?". I answered that I left fully expecting to be destroyed at Armageddon because I knew I wasn't paradise material. I found comfort in the fact that one day there would be no more sorrow. If that meant people like me had to go, so be it. Who am I to argue with God? It was actually hard for me to come to terms with them lying to me about all that.

So those of you that believe that you have the correct belief, how would you feel if it turned out you were wrong and the guy you thought was going to hell was right and he went to heaven and you went to hell? Would you accept that willingly because it was God's will? Would you plead your case hoping for some mercy? How would you want to be treated in that case?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2019, 07:03 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,341,414 times
Good Q. Looking forward to hell-believers' responses.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:17 PM

17,953 posts, read 13,927,504 times
This reminds me of that Far Side cartoon where the guy is standing in front of the throne of judgement and it turns out God is a cow.

Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 PM

6,852 posts, read 2,983,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
So on my exJW board, someone posted the question "what if the Watchtower is right?". I answered that I left fully expecting to be destroyed at Armageddon because I knew I wasn't paradise material. I found comfort in the fact that one day there would be no more sorrow. If that meant people like me had to go, so be it. Who am I to argue with God? It was actually hard for me to come to terms with them lying to me about all that.

So those of you that believe that you have the correct belief, how would you feel if it turned out you were wrong and the guy you thought was going to hell was right and he went to heaven and you went to hell? Would you accept that willingly because it was God's will? Would you plead your case hoping for some mercy? How would you want to be treated in that case?
You will probably find that those who believe in a literal hell are those who are afraid that THEY might be headed there. They are often referred to as 'fundies' and they are bound together by the religious glue of 'fear'. And, oftentimes, they are not the sharpest pencils in the pack. Jesus appears to have taken more than their sins on to Himself but also a portion of their brains.

Biblically speaking, 'hell' is 'the grave'. Nothing more.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:20 AM

6,842 posts, read 2,871,932 times
Quote:

Incensed.

/rimshot

Old 07-28-2019, 04:10 AM

9,707 posts, read 10,099,929 times
Going to hell is an eternity of dry mouth sensation which Jesus describes in the rich man in hell , and all people spirit will exist till the great judgment at the end of time , and only then people spirit will find a second death for their spirit ,..................for heaven Jesus says that you must be reborn in the spirit of God , for God spirit only knows the people who have His spirits were protection in the after life , as the angels of God collect all and send them to hell , unless there is the protection of God spirit through Jesus Christ ........ The only way to be reborn in the spirit of God is through repentance of sin and surrendering to Jesus with the help of Christians who have been reborn , for people who ignore this fact which is un-debatable

Old 07-28-2019, 04:22 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,508,240 times
Quote:

I have no problem or fear in accepting the consequences of my own thoughts, deeds and actions.

One of my favorite quotes is from Sir Thomas More, Utopia: "For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them."

Old 07-28-2019, 06:03 AM

76,959 posts, read 47,873,661 times
Quote:

Is Armageddon same as hell according to your former JW views?

Old 07-28-2019, 06:13 AM

5,207 posts, read 1,811,296 times
I shared a version of this idea in the Buddhist section of "Do all Buddhists go to hell" but it is also relevant here. If I am living a Christ-like life, that means that I am aspiring to love and serve all people, even if it means emptying out myself, and even if it means in bad conditions. If by some glitch in the matrix, I end up in hell, then I will continue trying to help suffering beings there. Because isn't that my purpose, after all? If that is your mentality, then hell isn't really hell, is it?

Christians should check out Buddhist bodhisattvas for this issue, because it has always troubled me that my faith tradition has found it ethically okay for so-called saints, even the Savior of the world, to tolerate even one soul in hell. There are Bodhisattvas who decide to go to hell to help those suffering there. It's the epitome of self-sacrificing compassion in that tradition.

Old 07-28-2019, 06:52 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,546,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
I shared a version of this idea in the Buddhist section of "Do all Buddhists go to hell" but it is also relevant here. If I am living a Christ-like life, that means that I am aspiring to love and serve all people, even if it means emptying out myself, and even if it means in bad conditions.

If by some glitch in the matrix, I end up in hell,
then I will continue trying to help suffering beings there. Because isn't that my purpose, after all?
If that is your mentality, then hell isn't really hell, is it?
Christians should check out Buddhist bodhisattvas for this issue, because it has always troubled me that my faith tradition has found it ethically okay for so-called saints, even the Savior of the world, to tolerate even one soul in hell.
There are Bodhisattvas who decide to go to hell to help those suffering there. It's the epitome of self-sacrificing compassion in that tradition.
Ha...these folks don't go over to the Buddhist section..I do not believe they have ever
thought of this idea...ever.
Thank you again, for are doing a service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity