Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 04:04 PM

11,994 posts, read 3,823,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Accomplished-fulfilled. What does it mean that "love fulfills the Law?" What is so hard about the idea that a commitment to a principle is what is missing from imperfect law? That such a commitment fulfills what mere law simply can't?
Yep, I agree

The law comes from the principles, not the principles from the law...... same as we have a thought first then the action, the not sticking with the principles brought law into being to bring things back into line with the first principles, thought, idea etc that is what Paul is saying about the law in Romans

These things are actually in ancient Greek and Roman writings as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2020, 04:12 PM

3,061 posts, read 929,399 times
Quote:
Accomplished-fulfilled. What does it mean that "love fulfills the Law?" What is so hard about the idea that a commitment to a principle is what is missing from imperfect law? That such a commitment fulfills what mere law simply can't?
I'm with you THERE mate.

Old 03-13-2020, 04:56 PM

64,148 posts, read 40,492,258 times
Quote:
Accomplished-fulfilled. What does it mean that "love fulfills the Law?" What is so hard about the idea that a commitment to a principle is what is missing from imperfect law? That such a commitment fulfills what mere law simply can't? What did Jesus mean by "it is finished" if He did not complete what He set out to do (fulfill the Law)?

Old 03-13-2020, 05:38 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,192,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDABaptist View Post
look again
It’s not there and you know it...

Old 03-13-2020, 05:42 PM

32,533 posts, read 22,192,087 times
Quote:
Accomplished-fulfilled. What does it mean that "love fulfills the Law?" What is so hard about the idea that a commitment to a principle is what is missing from imperfect law? That such a commitment fulfills what mere law simply can't? What did Jesus mean by "it is finished" if He did not complete what He set out to do (fulfill the Law)?
You just don’t understand the law because you are now lawless or without law...

Old 03-13-2020, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
It’s not there and you know it...
Hebrews 8:8 is quoting Jeremiah 31:31

The concept is what is being referred to

Jeremiah says both “houses” of Judah and Israel are rebellious

And in the latter days those “houses” will be brought together by God

That is the theme of the “messiah”

You are waiting for the Messiah, judgement, new age...... just like all the rest of the “nations”

Jer 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
Jer 3:16 And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.
Jer 3:17 At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Hebrews 8:8 is quoting Jeremiah 31:31

The concept is what is being referred to

Jeremiah says both “houses” of Judah and Israel are rebellious

And in the latter days those “houses” will be brought together by God

That is the theme of the “messiah”

You are waiting for the Messiah, judgement, new age...... just like all the rest of the “nations”

Jer 3:14 Turn, O backsliding children, saith the LORD; for I am married unto you: and I will take you one of a city, and two of a family, and I will bring you to Zion:
Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding.
Jer 3:16 And it shall come to pass, when ye be multiplied and increased in the land, in those days, saith the LORD, they shall say no more, The ark of the covenant of the LORD: neither shall it come to mind: neither shall they remember it; neither shall they visit it; neither shall that be done any more.
Jer 3:17 At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: neither shall they walk any more after the imagination of their evil heart.
In post #18, Richard asked you; “We’re is verse 8 reflected in the TORAH?” Although I think he meant ‘WHERE’ and not We-are.

He’s pulling your chain mate. The ‘TORAH’ is the first five books of Moses, the Nevi’im are the books of the prophets, and Ketuvim (in Biblical Hebrew: כְּתוּבִים "writings") is the third and final section of the Tanakh, which is the Hebrew Bible.

And nowhere is Hebrew verse 8 reflected in the ‘TORAH.’ In the 'Tanakh,' yes, but not in the TORAH.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,508,240 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
You just don’t understand the law because you are now lawless or without law...
How is someone without the law or lawless, if they are following the principle or spirit of that law?

Old 03-13-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
In post #18, Richard asked you; “We’re is verse 8 reflected in the TORAH?” Although I think he meant ‘WHERE’ and not We-are.

He’s pulling your chain mate. The ‘TORAH’ is the first five books of Moses, the Nevi’im are the books of the prophets, and Ketuvim (in Biblical Hebrew: כְּתוּבִים "writings") is the third and final section of the Tanakh, which is the Hebrew Bible.

And nowhere is Hebrew verse 8 reflected in the ‘TORAH.’ In the 'Tanakh,' yes, but not in the TORAH.
It’s ok

We all have imperfect ideas about God

I’m more interested in the exchange of ideas about what the scriptures as whole represent

Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
How is someone without the law or lawless, if they are following the principle or spirit of that law?
With you again Jerwade, why would any Christian try to be put right by following the law that still has Richard imprisoned.

Galatians 5: 4; Those of you who try to be put right by obeying the law have cut themselves off from Christ. And are outside of God's Grace. Why would any Christian want to become slaves to the written law all over again? Why would they want to revert to paying special attention to certain days, months, seasons, and years?

Before the time for faith came, the law kept all locked up as prisoners, but Christ has set all those who put faith in his words, FREE from the prison in which many on this forum still remain as prisoners.

Last edited by The Anointed; 03-13-2020 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity