Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 07:28 AM

10,503 posts, read 7,058,349 times

Advertisements

During this pandemic, I'm struck by the number of absolutely crazy conspiracy theories that have emerged from my fellow Christians. The Plandemic video, is a good example. The assertions by the woman in that interview are not only easily refuted, but the scientific and medical points she makes are actually the opposite of fact.

I have a friend who has his Ph.D. in microbiology. He is a professor at a distinguished medical school. He literally works with viruses every day. So when that Plandemic video hit, I sent him the link and asked his opinion. He not only watched it, but gave me a point by point refutation of everything the woman said in scientific terms.

In short, it's wild-eyed garbage being inflicted on us at a time when reason and sanity are needed both. Yet the people who are uncritically sharing it are among my most devout friends, almost all fundamentalists. And when you tell them in specific terms why it's wrong, they double down.

If the Christian's aim is to seek the truth, why are we so prone to believe nonsense such as this. This column is the best thing I've read on the subject.

https://instrumentofmercy.com/2020/0...racy-theories/

Old 05-09-2020, 08:07 AM

19,069 posts, read 27,648,953 times
I read your post and can't figure what you are referring to as garbage. "pandemic" or "video" or else? Besides, if chastising others for "uncritically sharing it are among my most devout friends", why share something with millions in a forum? It's basic marketing, you just hyped the video.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:54 AM

9,694 posts, read 10,032,275 times
I don't see conspiracy theories on this pandemic by Christian leaders, but there a work by the demon spirits of this work which can escalate the effects and even help to spread this virus beyond the masks that would stop the virus in the natural if the demons did not exist ....... In a witness I remember a while back that a demon slammed a wet mash in my face one night when I was sleeping where I woke up and the day after i got walking pneumonia for a month as these demons are a menace .... Then there are demons who are groin demons which infest and hold sickness in the body and bring symptoms of the common cold, as these unseen demons are not some conspiracy ....... Then there are some people who got this virus that were not going out of their homes, and they got sick, so masks and gloves had nothing to do with their sickness ..... As a christian, Jesus spirit told here to listen to Him and you will never get this sickness ... Glory to God

Old 05-09-2020, 10:59 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
I haven't seen the video. But what I have come to realize in my time on earth is that gullible people will believe anything. There are some that just want to believe opposite of the culture.

Sometimes they're Christians that follow Christianity only because it's opposite the culture. Sometimes, they're atheists who get a thrill out of flipping the bird to mainstream religion.

And then yes--there are plenty of people that genuinely believe.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:57 PM

614 posts, read 173,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I haven't seen the video. But what I have come to realize in my time on earth is that gullible people will believe anything. There are some that just want to believe opposite of the culture.

Sometimes they're Christians that follow Christianity only because it's opposite the culture. Sometimes, they're atheists who get a thrill out of flipping the bird to mainstream religion.

And then yes--there are plenty of people that genuinely believe.
Do you think that God could be among you? Are you separated by sin, or something? I don't think you are caught up in that trap, but, suddenly, I feel like asking that question is important. Those who believe are the one's who seem to count, if only because they are able to bring their own spiritual reality into the present world. But what is believing?

Old 05-09-2020, 06:25 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,324,222 times
They should be taken with a pinch of salt. My sister in law is hugely into this stuff, always sending me videos which i never watch and i have told her so, but she keeps sending them, even though i have told her if it's a conspiracy regarding the end times i will not watch them. In saying that, i 100% believe something very sinister is happening.

Old 05-10-2020, 01:19 AM

45,630 posts, read 27,240,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
During this pandemic, I'm struck by the number of absolutely crazy conspiracy theories that have emerged from my fellow Christians. The Plandemic video, is a good example. The assertions by the woman in that interview are not only easily refuted, but the scientific and medical points she makes are actually the opposite of fact.

I have a friend who has his Ph.D. in microbiology. He is a professor at a distinguished medical school. He literally works with viruses every day. So when that Plandemic video hit, I sent him the link and asked his opinion. He not only watched it, but gave me a point by point refutation of everything the woman said in scientific terms.

In short, it's wild-eyed garbage being inflicted on us at a time when reason and sanity are needed both. Yet the people who are uncritically sharing it are among my most devout friends, almost all fundamentalists. And when you tell them in specific terms why it's wrong, they double down.

If the Christian's aim is to seek the truth, why are we so prone to believe nonsense such as this. This column is the best thing I've read on the subject.

https://instrumentofmercy.com/2020/0...racy-theories/
Why do you think Christians are any different in this regard? Do we have special knowledge of world events - other than God is in control?

Let's be clear. Conspiracy theories exist on the right and the left. An individual (not entire groups of people) chooses to believe it or not.

There are also occasions where the truth is stranger than fiction... and they are dismissed as conspiracy theories because they appear outside of the realm of one's experience and comfort level. But then years down the road, we find out what was once debunked was actually true.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Face facts: If people believe a serpent and donkey talked, woman came from man's rib and a guy lived inside a big fish for three days -- they'll believe anything.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:18 AM

614 posts, read 173,584 times
You should change your name to 'Knee Slapper.' That was pretty funny, and perfectly timed in the history of this thread. It's best to grasp deliberate suspension of disbelief for what it can be, the doorway. But, if you don't enter with the proper state of mind, retaining logic, you can get coiled up in the net of 'what must be.' Getting past what various doctrines or persons demand of you, however, is very important when seeking God. He doesn't seem to care about those things as much as those people who would insist upon a behavior from you do.

Last edited by Am I a Prophet; 05-10-2020 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: the writing process

Old 05-10-2020, 01:11 PM

45,630 posts, read 27,240,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Face facts: If people believe a serpent and donkey talked, woman came from man's rib and a guy lived inside a big fish for three days -- they'll believe anything.
You missed one... we also believe a Man physically rose from the dead and resides in heaven, and will return to the earth at an appointed time in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.