Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2020, 12:12 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,285,892 times

Advertisements

My general impression is that the Lutheran and Episcopalian churches are two of the more similar branches of Christianity. I know on paper, Episcopalians hold a little closer to Catholic doctrine than Lutherans do on things like Apostolic succession.

But in practice, are the differences that great on a day to day basis?

As far as I can tell as an outsider, both combine high church elements from Catholicism with relatively liberal social outlooks (at least in the ELCA and TEC).

Do members of each branch feel a "special relationship" with each other than to other christian denominations. Or do Episcopalians feel closer to Catholics, while Lutherans feel no closer to Episcopalians than they do to Methodists and Presbyterians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2020, 01:46 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Lutherans don't pray on their knees, as do Ecopolians.

Old 12-06-2020, 06:22 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Lutheran (ELCA) and Episcopalian churches allow their ordained ministers to perform rites in each others churches. That alone indicates they are pretty close. One Lutheran I know says they are right hand Catholics and Episcopalians are left hand Catholics. Both denominations are one step removed from the Roman Catholic Church.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:02 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdivola View Post
My general impression is that the Lutheran and Episcopalian churches are two of the more similar branches of Christianity. I know on paper, Episcopalians hold a little closer to Catholic doctrine than Lutherans do on things like Apostolic succession.

But in practice, are the differences that great on a day to day basis?

As far as I can tell as an outsider, both combine high church elements from Catholicism with relatively liberal social outlooks (at least in the ELCA and TEC).

Do members of each branch feel a "special relationship" with each other than to other christian denominations. Or do Episcopalians feel closer to Catholics, while Lutherans feel no closer to Episcopalians than they do to Methodists and Presbyterians?
It's not a matter of "feeling" a special relationship. The Episcopal Church of the United States and the ELCA are in communion with each other by a formal agreement. There are still some separations; for example, the ELCA does not recognize the Episcopal diaconate, so deacons are not considered ordained clergy in the ELCA churches as they are in the Episcopal Church.

I have not been to an ELCA church myself, but I've been to an Episcopal service that had an ELCA priest officiating.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Really?

Episcopalians don't always kneel, either. Depending upon the parish, they sometimes stand at points in the service when traditionally kneeling takes place. I like kneeling, but that doesn't work for everyone's knees.

Old 12-06-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Lutheran (ELCA) and Episcopalian churches allow their ordained ministers to perform rites in each others churches. That alone indicates they are pretty close. One Lutheran I know says they are right hand Catholics and Episcopalians are left hand Catholics. Both denominations are one step removed from the Roman Catholic Church.
I don't know about the Lutherans, but in every Episcopal church I've ever been to, I've found former Catholics, and often they are the priests. My current and last priests were both originally Catholic priests (both foreign-born, also, interestingly--Irish and Italian).

Old 12-06-2020, 08:24 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
I agree with the posts asserting extreme similarities- as to comfort of attendees I am sorry to say I have known Lutherans that were not comfortable in their home church but I was as a visitor
And thought it was a very good church
This was true also of my other friend an episcopal an Armenian
Obviously they both knew their own theology and practices better than me but found fault in them

Old 12-07-2020, 06:08 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,039,478 times
I'm in the South, so not many Lutherans where I am. But I've met a couple of whom moved to the Episcopal Church and found the liturgy very similar.

Old 12-07-2020, 09:54 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Hmm. I attended a large city Lutheran church a long time ago (maybe 30 years ago), and they most definitely did pray on their knees. In fact, there were even pull-out benches in the pews for that. It was different to pray on knees right there in the pews.

As a side note, I enjoyed the real wine with the communion Wasn't ready for that - coming from Bapt/Meth churches - but it was a nice surprise

Old 12-07-2020, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Hmm. I attended a large city Lutheran church a long time ago (maybe 30 years ago), and they most definitely did pray on their knees. In fact, there were even pull-out benches in the pews for that. It was different to pray on knees right there in the pews.

As a side note, I enjoyed the real wine with the communion Wasn't ready for that - coming from Bapt/Meth churches - but it was a nice surprise
I grew up in the Reformed Church, Grape juice there, too.

The Episcopal church I attend has the real wine, but they also have a second chalice of grape juice for people who can't or won't ingest alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity