Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 07:11 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,005,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
God gave us His Word in order to reveal Himself to us primarily through the reading of it in the public liturgy.

Public and even moreso private. It is alive and exerts power Michael as you know. It changes lives. Heb 4:12

Thanks for your comment Mike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
Actually you are beating others up with a sledgehammer when you slam every English translation of God’s word. According to you, they are all corrupt.

None are perfect maam, some are deliberately altered. As you likely realize that any which alter YHWH to Adonai, did that deliberately. Why do you suppose they did that Kate?

Old 12-11-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
I'm just dumbfounded how you can 'ignore' the previous 3 verses and following 2 ones, to pull it out of context, and make it all about 'you' .
That's not what the Spirit was going for here, instead using these 6 verses to convey one complete thought, on 'unity'.

I have been posting here a while CC, and we have conversed on multiple occasions. I do not post the entire Bible when making a point. The verse is easy to understand and those of us who love the Bible very much are aware of why it was given to us. What I posted is an initial comment to show the love and reasoning behind why God provided His word for us. Perhaps you feel differently about the things written in the Bible being beneficial to us. Certainly I respect your personal choice, but many of us are very appreciative that God has chosen to record His words for us, and we do receive our instruction, endurance, and are certainly comforted in our hope for our future. We wish all of you can have the peace that comes with submitting to the words of wisdom found in the Bible.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It seems like one's belief in the source and authority attributed to Scripture (the Bible) is often reduced to a matter of personal opinion. That does not change the truth, which supports the truth of God's divinely inspired Word of Truth, with verifiable, empirical evidence.

PROPHECY: God has uniquely provided thousands of accurately fulfilled future prophecies. Over 2000 Israel and nations prophecies and 300 Messianic prophecies have been accurately and verifiably fulfilled. Several hundred End Time prophecies are in various stages of fulfillment. Prophecy affirms God is in sovereign control of the universe, life and the past, present and future. It also affirms that God has revealed everything He intends to reveal and that we have the complete, beginning-to-end story of mankind.

SCIENCE: Hundreds of scientific facts were revealed in Scripture thousands of years before science ;officially' discovered them. Compelling evidence of God’s design and creation of the human body, earth, planets and the entire universe can be seen across most scientific disciplines (Astronomy, Biology, Archaeology, Microbiology, DNA research, Physics, and in astonishing mathematical evidence).There is absolutely no contradiction between unbiased science and the Bible.

ARCHAEOLOGY: Over 20,000 substantive archaeological artifacts affirm the accuracy of Scripture’s claims of events, people, leaders and nations. Archaeological artifacts support every book in Scripture (except Esther). No archaeological artifact has ever contradicted a single Scriptural truth. Biblical history continues to be affirmed by archaeology, while other historical and traditional beliefs and records are often revised and rewritten.

LITERARY: Unparalleled literary evidence affirms Scripture is intact and unchanged. We have available to us over 24,000 ancient manuscript copies (including the Dead Sea Scrolls), recorded over 1,500-years. Each demonstrates the meticulously accurate reproduction and preservation of Scripture. Today, six-billion copies of 2,000 to 3,000-year old Scriptures, in 2,000 languages,(plus countless digital copies), ensure the Bible will never be swept aside or destroyed.

CLAIMS OF DIVINE INSPIRATION: Forty Scripture writers over 1,500-years unwaveringly affirmed God’s divine inspiration of Scripture over 5,000 times! Credible claims are supported by hundreds of first-hand, eye-witnessed miracles and other proofs of God’s inspiration. God, Christ, the prophets and apostles never disputed a single verse of Scripture or expressed any concern mankind might change or ”un-inspire” Scripture. God continues to speak to His people today, just as he did thousands of years ago.

HARMONY: An overriding supernatural harmony is evident in the single-minded consistency of Scripture over thousands of years. The ancient prophets and Bible writers did not have computers, books, mass communications, or even a common culture, language or even live in the same generation. Still, all writers over thousands of years reached the same conclusions about God’s holiness, character, truths, ways, plans, purpose, promises and love for mankind – in all sixty-six books of Scripture. The Bible reads like it was composed by a single author because it was!

LIFE CHANGING POWER - The life-changing power of God and Scripture has changed the world. Objectively measuring the life-changing power of God and Scripture/the Bible in the world might seem impossible, except for an overriding truth. All human knowledge of Christ’s life and teachings, and God’s ways, truths, plans, purpose and promises for mankind, comes solely and directly or indirectly from Scripture. Everything bearing God’s authority and the name of Jesus Christ is inseparably linked to God’s inspired Word, Scripture/the Bible. No other book has produced such universal and lasting changes in the lives of billions of faithful believers in every generation. The Bible has directly changed culture, governments, leaders, constitutions, education, music, literature,art and life itself.

INDESTRUCTABILITY: Scripture has faced 2,000 to 3,000 years of violent opposition, persecution and martyrdom; in addition to the same fires, wars, floods and natural deterioration that have destroyed other ancient manuscripts. Over 70 millionmartyrs have died, and 100,000 die each year rather than renounce God,Christ and God’s inspired Word, the Bible. Yet, 2.5 billion professing Christians and six billion Bibles thrive today.

HOLY SPIRIT - A remarkable proofs of God’s inspired Scriptural truth is the work and power of His indwelling Holy Spirit in the lives of a born-again believer. Every born-again believer can readily compare the Scriptural promises and revealed work of the indwelling Holy Spirit with the changes in their own life. This life-changing work leads countless non-believers in every generation to believe God and trust Jesus Christ for themselves. The Incomparable work of the Holy Spirit is God working in and through mankind (Spiritual life, fruit, gifts, growth, understanding and transformation).

MATHEMATICAL - The exponential weight of evidence that the Bible is God’s truth. Renowned mathematicians have carried this to the next level and uncovered astonishing mathematical sequences and patterns throughout nature and Scripture. Multiple layers of verifiable evidence exponentially add weight to the proof of supernatural inspiration. Astonishing mathematical sequences and patterns exist throughout nature and Scripture

The issue with Biblical inspiration is not a matter of imposing a "burden of proof" upon God. but, rather a "burden of belief" which rests upon the hearts and minds of mankind.

John 12:48 - 48 "There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day."

(Extracts from 'You Can Know the Truth', Proofs Summary - Truth

Extremely good comment sir! I can definitely see that you appreciate that God has provided His word for us. Thank you for carrying that to the next level, and even beyond JG.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchikanite View Post
You got me mixed up with the JW….I use the Bible app. It gives you access to about every Bible translation there is.

https://www.bible.com/

Another great site is Blue letter Bible, perhaps quite similar. JW.org is a great site as well.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:47 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with private reading and meditating under proper guidance and direction, but its liturgical use is primary. What did Jesus do in the synagogue? He read aloud from the Prophets.

As we have all seen, God's Word can be easily weaponized to teach all kinds of damnable things in the wrong hands.
Under proper guidance and direction? Are you saying we cannot understand/interpret the Scriptures for ourselves? I realize that some passages can be difficult, but I believe God will give us understanding in His time. By guidance and direction, do you mean letting others do our thinking for us? May I ask you a question? Do you think God expected us to be able to understand His word? I know there are instances when guidance is needed, particularly when one is a new believer, but what about after that?

The thing is we don’t have Jesus, the Apostles or prophets to personally teach us today. But we have the gospel which is able to make us wise unto salvation (Romans 1:16). And we have the Scriptures which are profitable
for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work. (2 Tim 3:16-17)

I must confess that I am not educated in the term or use of liturgy. I have heard of it, but don’t really understand it. I assume it is the reading of Scripture during assembly times. My congregation does this but they don’t use the term. Maybe you can enlighten me?

Old 12-11-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Another great site is Blue letter Bible, perhaps quite similar. JW.org is a great site as well.
What lexicons does JW.org use? Which Greek manuscripts did NWT translators use?

Old 12-11-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
None are perfect maam, some are deliberately altered. As you likely realize that any which alter YHWH to Adonai, did that deliberately. Why do you suppose they did that Kate?
I agree with you. No translation is perfect, and some are much better than others. Im sure there is bias in some. The NIV is one of them. It would be helpful if you provided book, chapter and verse where you say YHWH was changed to Adonai. Then maybe I can answer your question.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with private reading and meditating under proper guidance and direction, but its liturgical use is primary. What did Jesus do in the synagogue? He read aloud from the Prophets.

As we have all seen, God's Word can be easily weaponized to teach all kinds of damnable things in the wrong hands.
But wasn't that because most people couldn't read back then? Same with early Catholics?

Old 12-11-2021, 12:01 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us why he gave us the Bible.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity