Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 06:36 AM

3,474 posts, read 1,007,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post
I agree with you. No translation is perfect, and some are much better than others. Im sure there is bias in some. The NIV is one of them. It would be helpful if you provided book, chapter and verse where you say YHWH was changed to Adonai. Then maybe I can answer your question.

The best and easiest one to see the obvious change is Ps 110:1 which originally read Jehovah (YHWH) said to my Lord (Adonai) Most versions render YHWH as Adonai and translate it The LORD said to my Lord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
2 Timothy 3:16-17 tells us why he gave us the Bible.

"All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work."

Yes sir, I posted that to an individual in #10

Old 12-12-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
To answer the OP, I find the Bible to be very difficult. I think I need my own personal tutor, lol.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist tradition and abandoned that at age 18. Several decades later, I came back to believing, but it is so problematic.

I can't even wrap my mind around the Atonement (as I posted a while back: "I don't understand the Atonement") re the actual mechanics of how it worked and considering how sin is still so rampant in the world, getting worse all the time.

I hate to admit I kind of avoid reading the actual Bible due to its complexity. I read lots of books by Bible scholars and watch lots of sermons and discussions. They have been edifying but I still have so many questions. "Accepting" without understanding is anathema to me. But I'm working on it.

The paraphrased "The Message" is sitting right next to me, waiting for me to crack it open after a few years.

The atonement is easy to understand in a way, but not logical as we have always been taught that 2 wrongs do not make a right. We easily understand that Adam did wrong and lost life, but how can someone else dying relinquish that?/

I think I responded to your post on that, but perhaps you did not understand what I said. It has to do with God law of exacting measures. The easiest way to understand it, and we do understand that if someone caused you to lose your eye, then exacting justice would be that they lose their eye? Easy to understand correct? Same principle in the understanding, it goes on to say tooth for tooth, which also is easy, and then God's law says soul for soul, in other words life for life, which also is easy to understand in a crime situation, and is exactingly just.

The same is true if you understand, that the perfect man Adam sinned and therefore his offspring lost life as well through inherited imperfect genes, that a perfect man had to redeem what Adam lost. What you misunderstand is why another could appease this exacting law. By God's exacting standards since Adam lost life, a perfect exacting sacrifice had to be offered, no imperfect human qualified, so Jehovah sent His son, who was born perfect and remained so as a sacrifice to atone for Adams sin. It doesn't seem logical by mans laws standards, but it is an equal sacrifice to buy back what Adam lost by God's exacting law. I do not think that is too difficult to understand. It will be fully understood in the coming Kingdom if not now. That is the best way I can explain it Sand. Hope that helps.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I see this in a different light - the passage in context is about the distribution from the strong to the weak to build the weak up
It is about the sharing of the resources

Rom 15:1**We then that are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak, and not to please ourselves.
Rom 15:2**Let every one of us please his neighbour for his good to edification.
Rom 15:3**For even Christ pleased not himself; but, as it is written, The reproaches of them that reproached thee fell on me.
Rom 15:4**For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.
Rom 15:5**Now the God of patience and consolation grant you to be likeminded one toward another according to Christ Jesus:
Rom 15:6**That ye may with one mind and one mouth glorify God, even the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Rom 15:7**Wherefore receive ye one another, as Christ also received us to the glory of God.

It is the responsibility of the strong to give freely to those who are hungry, poor, thirsty for their benefit - we are to deny our ‘self’

So then you understand the logic in it Kat, you have received the instruction as you have shown, perhaps it has motivated you, therefore assisting in your endurance, we are certainly comforted by the support of the strong among Jehovah's people, and therefore knowing we are assisted we are not alone in the hope that we possess. This verse is certainly not speaking only of the 3 previous verses, rather the entire Bible is covered by that passage.

Old 12-12-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc4max View Post
The question: " Why did God give us the bible?"
Well, the Bible contains from Genesis to the books of Revelations (formerly Apocalypses) stories of how the wold was created, the history of mankind, God's laws, events that took place, prophecies for the future, and promise of salvation or eternal life at the end. So If you are a believer interested in this salvation, then the Bible is your guidance book to read, understand, and practice.

However, God did not give us the Bible (in some sort of way, yes). But, we gave ourselves the Bible which is a compilation of many books written by different authors among whom Moses, it is said, had penned down the first five. God gave us his laws and commandments which we could just memorize in our brain and comply with. Then our brain would be our Bible? But they were written down to remain as records for future generations and as a testimony of past events in the history of the world. Some stories in the Bible appear to be irrelevant to know to comply with God's will other than to testify of the magnificence and mightiness and superiority of God. To Him be all glory!

The word "Bible" seems to derive from the Latin word "Biblia" which means book; and "Bibliotheca" which means "library" where books are archived, stored; in other words, a "book graveyard" or " book nursing home". So the " Bible", in another word, is a "portable library".

Am I misreading you Max, or do you actually believe the Bible is mans words not God's? I certainly hope that is not what you mean.

Old 12-12-2021, 12:44 PM

60 posts, read 21,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway54 View Post
Am I misreading you Max, or do you actually believe the Bible is mans words not God's? I certainly hope that is not what you mean.
Jesus Lord! Where in my post did you read that I said the Bible is man's words, for Heavens sake? Read my post comprehensively. You may not have misread what I wrote, but you certainly have misunderstood it.
I repeat; The Bible is a compilation of many books written by man regardless if the content was inspired by God. And not every story in it was inspired By God. Some were men's narratives of what they saw or heard. The term " Bible" is not synonym of " God's wills", but rather a book where the wills of God may be read.

Let's not fall head over heels in love and agreement with everything that is written in those versions of our Bibles. For they have undergone the tortures of translators' malpractice, omissions, and contexts' erosion from one language to another. And the Bible, till today, is still written in complex languages that make some people feel dizzy reading it, not to mention those who are illiterate. So what are those individuals' chances at salvation? And most of today's pastors, preachers, and so-called religious leaders are more interested in exploiting the word of God for financial profit than to bring spiritually poor individuals to understand it. They consider churchgoers not as believers, but as customers shopping for gospel in black market.

The testaments left behind by Jesus' disciples were not published until many, many years after they wrote them for the fact that they were being persecuted and killed by Governments authorities. So those manuscripts were confided and passed on to and safeguarded by other individuals who published them when the time was convenient to do so. Catholicism was a government-founded religion to appease believers and control their behaviors. Different groups of people set up different religious entities to compete with one another while God is a God of unity. Jesus did not leave any religions behind; He left a doctrine of faith and repentance attached to a promise of salvation. So every pious and religiously well-educated believer can be the Bible of the religiously ill-educated person who cannot read and understand the word of God. To God be all glory.

Last edited by nyc4max; 12-12-2021 at 01:08 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 01:36 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Jesus Lord! Where in my post did you read that I said the Bible is man's words, for Heavens sake? Read my post comprehensively. You may not have misread what I wrote, but you certainly have misunderstood it.
I repeat; The Bible is a compilation of many books written by man regardless if the content was inspired by God. And not every story in it was inspired By God. Some were men's narratives of what they saw or heard. The term " Bible" is not synonym of " God's wills", but rather a book where the wills of God may be read.

Let's not fall head over heels in love and agreement with everything that is written in those versions of our Bibles. For they have undergone the tortures of translators' malpractice, omissions, and contexts' erosion from one language to another. And the Bible, till today, is still written in complex languages that make some people feel dizzy reading it, not to mention those who are illiterate. So what are those individuals' chances at salvation? And most of today's pastors, preachers, and so-called religious leaders are more interested in exploiting the word of God for financial profit than to bring spiritually poor individuals to understand it. They consider churchgoers not as believers, but as customers shopping for gospel in black market.

The testaments left behind by Jesus' disciples were not published until many, many years after they wrote them for the fact that they were being persecuted and killed by Governments authorities. So those manuscripts were confided and passed on to and safeguarded by other individuals who published them when the time was convenient to do so. Catholicism was a government-founded religion to appease believers and control their behaviors. Different groups of people set up different religious entities to compete with one another while God is a God of unity. Jesus did not leave any religions behind; He left a doctrine of faith and repentance attached to a promise of salvation. So every pious and religiously well-educated believer can be the Bible of the religiously ill-educated person who cannot read and understand the word of God. To God be all glory.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:09 PM

1,811 posts, read 901,314 times
Quote:

Good word right here.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:18 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
I don't think that God gave us the Bible.
I believe He spoke to people and sometimes thru people and then they

write it down, sure.
He seems to have given us the 10 Commandments...but why does He have to give us any
instructions or guidance?
Because we're stupid. I mean we actually have to be told not to kill.

Old 12-12-2021, 04:40 PM

60 posts, read 21,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I don't think that God gave us the Bible.
I believe He spoke to people and sometimes thru people and then they

write it down, sure.
He seems to have given us the 10 Commandments...but why does He have to give us any
instructions or guidance?
Because we're stupid. I mean we actually have to be told not to kill
Bold section: Thanks for the laugh. I so needed it. You have cured my light headache.
Yes, And the 10 commandments, we could just memorize them and follow them without having to carry a Bible around. Lol.

Last edited by nyc4max; 12-12-2021 at 04:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity