Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 06:03 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope. I have spent much of my adult life in the Episcopal Church. Not only did we not say we are the only true church, we will not say that Christianity is the only true religion.

Of course the rest of you make it a point to say we are not true Christians.

I still love Elizabeth I's words: "There is one Christ and one faith. The rest is a dispute over trifles."
I think it comes down to what Christianity itself is and how expansive (and universal) it was created to be

I do think that there are many regular individuals within the various organisations who are not actually marching to that us/them beat either - but they may keep it hidden to protect themselves from being criticised and condemned by their own

I actually dislike that phrase true Christian - to me it’s simply Christian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 06:15 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think it comes down to what Christianity itself is and how expansive (and universal) it was created to be

I do think that there are many regular individuals within the various organisations who are not actually marching to that us/them beat either - but they may keep it hidden to protect themselves from being criticised and condemned by their own

I actually dislike that phrase true Christian - to me it’s simply Christian
Oh yes, I believe you are correct. The EC is just an environment where they can say it out loud.

I am glad you don't like "true Christian", because we made it a rule not to be able to accuse another poster of that in this forum!

Old 02-18-2023, 06:35 PM

553 posts, read 172,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I think that is a lesson that has been learnt
Like hell it has. Just give them some gasoline, a match and a theocracy.

Old 02-18-2023, 06:45 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,687,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsmaine View Post
Like hell it has. Just give them some gasoline and a match.
Who are you talking about?

I believe most Christian’s are very well aware that if they follow through with that type of action that they will get what they tell others they will get

They would be too afraid of the consequences I think (rightly so)

They might verbally condemn others, and hide behind the bible to do it but to actually physically do that … I don’t see it happening

Old 02-18-2023, 08:15 PM

1,339 posts, read 651,012 times
Quote:
Try using public transportation when you are trapped in a rail car with them.
LOL seriously? What happened on that rail car ride?

Quote:
Nope. I have spent much of my adult life in the Episcopal Church. Not only did we not say we are the only true church, we will not say that Christianity is the only true religion.

Of course the rest of you make it a point to say we are not true Christians.

I still love Elizabeth I's words: "There is one Christ and one faith. The rest is a dispute over trifles."
Interesting. So I'm guessing the Episcopal Church is more "open"?

Old 02-19-2023, 12:19 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
LOL seriously? What happened on that rail car ride?
Which one? I commuted by train to Manhattan for nearly four decades. I can't count how many times some born-again fool fancied himself led to preach on a PATH train or NYC Subway car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
Interesting. So I'm guessing the Episcopal Church is more "open"?
Well, they ordained their first woman priest in 1977, a woman who was also openly in a relationship with another woman. By the way, I knew her in the 1990s, and she was not only a warm and loving Christian person, she was a deep theologian, and you walked away from her sermons with things to chew on in your head for the rest of the week.

I attended my first "blessing of the union" of a male couple in 1999. The priests held a meeting with the parish to tell us that Michael and Jon had asked them to perform this ceremony and wanted to see what the parishioners had to say before they went ahead and did it because they were somewhat well-known in the area for having taken their case to court to jointly adopt their son and thereby changed the laws in our state that said unmarried persons could not jointly adopt a child. There would be press, and there would be picketers at our church, and they wanted everyone to know that.

We all liked Michael and Jon. They were the nicest couple, obviously loved each other, and their little boy, born to a drug-addicted mother, was so cute.

After the priests spoke with us, ending with "some people are not going to like this", there was silence in the group. Then I'll never forget, this wizened old woman, not five feet tall, white hair, stood up and said, "Well if other people don't like it, that's just too damn bad." And that was it.

And yup, a local Baptist church picketed us every Sunday for the next month or so. They would not speak to or acknowledge anyone, just carried their signs, marching in a circle, with their noses LITERALLY, and I mean ACTUALLY, upturned in the air as if they couldn't stand the stink of us, lips pursed in absolute disdain, and refused to make eye contact.

The EC has been sort of a safe haven for gay Christians. They can be married there, have their children baptized, and be ordained to the priesthood. No, we don't ignore the Bible; as a matter of fact, more scripture is read in an Episcopal service than in any other church I've ever been to, but just as the Bible-worshiping churches hold Scripture up as their only standard, and the Catholic Church holds Scripture and Tradition as their standard, the Episcopal Church believes in Scripture, Tradition, and Reason. They believe God gave us intelligence, and we are expected to use it.

Old 02-19-2023, 06:46 AM

492 posts, read 143,516 times
Biblical Christianity is of the Heart not the head. The first thing God wants from any convert is the Heart. God will give the individual a new heart.
Pro_23:26* My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Biblical Christianity is a catalyst for change. Some times it is slow sometimes fast. Regardless, that change should manifest Love for others. The end result of all Biblical Doctrine is Love.

1Ti 1:5* Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:*

This should be everyones true goal/ Love from a Pure Heart. Give God your Heart now before it is to Late.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:34 AM

25,436 posts, read 9,796,800 times
Quote:
Which one? I commuted by train to Manhattan for nearly four decades. I can't count how many times some born-again fool fancied himself led to preach on a PATH train or NYC Subway car.

Well, they ordained their first woman priest in 1977, a woman who was also openly in a relationship with another woman. By the way, I knew her in the 1990s, and she was not only a warm and loving Christian person, she was a deep theologian, and you walked away from her sermons with things to chew on in your head for the rest of the week.

I attended my first "blessing of the union" of a male couple in 1999. The priests held a meeting with the parish to tell us that Michael and Jon had asked them to perform this ceremony and wanted to see what the parishioners had to say before they went ahead and did it because they were somewhat well-known in the area for having taken their case to court to jointly adopt their son and thereby changed the laws in our state that said unmarried persons could not jointly adopt a child. There would be press, and there would be picketers at our church, and they wanted everyone to know that.

We all liked Michael and Jon. They were the nicest couple, obviously loved each other, and their little boy, born to a drug-addicted mother, was so cute.

After the priests spoke with us, ending with "some people are not going to like this", there was silence in the group. Then I'll never forget, this wizened old woman, not five feet tall, white hair, stood up and said, "Well if other people don't like it, that's just too damn bad." And that was it.

And yup, a local Baptist church picketed us every Sunday for the next month or so. They would not speak to or acknowledge anyone, just carried their signs, marching in a circle, with their noses LITERALLY, and I mean ACTUALLY, upturned in the air as if they couldn't stand the stink of us, lips pursed in absolute disdain, and refused to make eye contact.

The EC has been sort of a safe haven for gay Christians. They can be married there, have their children baptized, and be ordained to the priesthood. No, we don't ignore the Bible; as a matter of fact, more scripture is read in an Episcopal service than in any other church I've ever been to, but just as the Bible-worshiping churches hold Scripture up as their only standard, and the Catholic Church holds Scripture and Tradition as their standard, the Episcopal Church believes in Scripture, Tradition, and Reason. They believe God gave us intelligence, and we are expected to use it.
Their openness and genuine love for others is what attracted me to the Episcopal church.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:46 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,334,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
Biblical Christianity is of the Heart not the head. The first thing God wants from any convert is the Heart. God will give the individual a new heart.
Pro_23:26* My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.

Biblical Christianity is a catalyst for change. Some times it is slow sometimes fast. Regardless, that change should manifest Love for others. The end result of all Biblical Doctrine is Love.

1Ti 1:5* Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned:*

This should be everyones true goal/ Love from a Pure Heart. Give God your Heart now before it is to Late.
You had me up to the " before it's too late " part.

Can't we just keep that part out, while we learn to Love in the way you describe?

I suspect it would win more hearts.

Which I hope, is the whole point to begin with.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:01 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
You had me up to the " before it's too late " part.

Can't we just keep that part out, while we learn to Love in the way you describe?

I suspect it would win more hearts.

Which I hope, is the whole point to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity