Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2023, 03:37 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
True, but intolerance isn't confined to fundamentalists. It exists among more liberal Christians as well. There's an individual aspect to it. Some people are just more tolerant than others no matter where they fit within Christianity. I myself can be quite intolerant. Something to work on.
Same here.

Old 03-09-2023, 03:37 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Unfortunately, the fundamentalist group of Christians tends to foster unkindness and misery on those who do not meet their beliefs about what God wants or what is an abomination to God. It seems hypocritical for them to be overly sensitive to any unkindness to their intolerant beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
People in general are less loving, respectful, and understanding these days. It's not just in Christianity or the churches. I see plenty of it in unrelated circles from Christianity.

We need to focus on the common problem rather than selectively pick at parts of the scab. (LOL)
Quote:
True, but intolerance isn't confined to fundamentalists. It exists among more liberal Christians as well. There's an individual aspect to it. Some people are just more tolerant than others no matter where they fit within Christianity. I myself can be quite intolerant. Something to work on.

I believe that part of the increase in intolerance is related to the increase in population generally and also with globalisation as well and also how western civilisation has been a lot more focused on increasing knowledge and accumulating things and what has happened is relationships with others seem to suffer as a result

Human beings can only focus on so much and we can get over-loaded

It is definitely a societal problem that has been building up for a long time, and relates to the reaping what has been sown - and religion and religious people have had a huge part in how things have developed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2023, 03:56 PM

11,070 posts, read 7,139,669 times
^ The modern "information age" with the internet and interconnectivity lends much to the loss of focus and loss of connection with each other. Any message, concept, idea, or "news" can immediately be forwarded to anyone, for immediate consumption. But poor quality, eaten fast, will lead to mental and emotional indigestion. Dysfunction and drama now run the show / run the media.

As great as all the technology is, it does have a downside that next to no one actually notices. The masses just get caught up in daily gradual changes, make them the new normal, and whistle down the street. Not many are stepping off the path, and standing on the side to review the changes, and where we are getting worse off. And every new generation really has nothing tangible to reflect on anyway, so they just take everything as normal and how it's always been.

Again, this is all across-the-board with everyone; not just a select group, such as Christians. But in tying in with the new ways, selecting certain groups for venom is more desired that seeing the common flaws in us all. Attacking others is the in-thing, while personal review and responsibility is old stuff. We have dog vs. dog on our decline downwards.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:22 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
I believe that part of the increase in intolerance is related to the increase in population generally and also with globalisation as well and also how western civilisation has been a lot more focused on increasing knowledge and accumulating things and what has happened is relationships with others seem to suffer as a result

Human beings can only focus on so much and we can get over-loaded

It is definitely a societal problem that has been building up for a long time, and relates to the reaping what has been sown - and religion and religious people have had a huge part in how things have developed
That's undoubtedly true. I think that even more recently, the Covid pandemic which caused a lot of stress has contributed both to the intolerance and violence which has overrun the United States. I don't know about how it has affected other countries.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:38 PM

91 posts, read 24,243 times
Quote:
And yet, here you are making an issue out of it.

Not always, and not by everyone who uses the term.

As I explained in post 50 of this thread, while all Christians are Christians, Christians fall within a spectrum of beliefs. There is absolutely nothing wrong with identifying a Christian according to where he falls within that spectrum. Fundamentalist, evangelical, progressive, liberal, protestant, Catholic, etc. are all perfectly acceptable and legitimate terms or labels by which to describe where in Christian theology a person resides. Nothing at all wrong with it. That you think that there is seems to be a hangup with you, but that doesn't invalidate the use of descriptors. It simply doesn't.
And the Mormons are glad you accept them as the Christians they claim to be.....

Old 03-09-2023, 06:43 PM

91 posts, read 24,243 times
Quote:
That's undoubtedly true. I think that even more recently, the Covid pandemic which caused a lot of stress has contributed both to the intolerance and violence which has overrun the United States. I don't know about how it has affected other countries.
Not sure how we blame Covid on the increase in Christian intolerance, violence and demonization of Trans children - who I am told are also Gods creation....

Old 03-09-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
Not sure how we blame Covid on the increase in Christian intolerance, violence and demonization of Trans children - who I am told are also Gods creation....
Yeah, I probably got a bit off track on that. I was thinking more broadly than just intolerance within Christianity.

Old 03-09-2023, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaffer324 View Post
And the Mormons are glad you accept them as the Christians they claim to be.....
I'm glad they're glad.

Old 03-10-2023, 10:26 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
I'm glad they're glad.
Too soon to rep, Mike.

Old 03-10-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Too soon to rep, Mike.
Hi, Katz!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity