Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 07:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
We have more division than unity.

Very true. Every denomination (including the Catholic Church) states they are the "true" church.

I think it is ok to spread the word of God but shoving your beliefs down other people's throats is a bit over the top. I've seen street preachers before though. Using microphones and loudspeakers.
I'm in a Baptist church. We don't believe that, or state it. You really should be a little more careful before you make such silly statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2023, 08:40 AM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Define hateful...

Not talking about any violent behavior. That's obviously not Christian.
Unkindness. Doesn't have to be physical violence. Often cruel words can hurt just as much.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:04 PM

492 posts, read 143,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unkindness. Doesn't have to be physical violence. Often cruel words can hurt just as much.
Thats very true about the tongue. The book of James has an entire page on the tongue. The tongue and words hurt.

Taming the Tongue
Jas 3:1* My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation.*
Jas 3:2* For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.*
Jas 3:3* Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.*
Jas 3:4* Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.*
Jas 3:5* Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!*
Jas 3:6* And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.*
Jas 3:7* For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:*
Jas 3:8* But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.*
Jas 3:9* Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.*
Jas 3:10* Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.*
Jas 3:11* Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?*
Jas 3:12* Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.*

Old 02-21-2023, 12:08 PM

45,540 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:
Unkind and hate are not the same. People can be unkind in a clueless manner.

I think being called a fundamentalist is unkind and divisive, but not hateful. Doesn't seem to stop people in this forum...

Old 02-21-2023, 01:24 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:

I think being called a fundamentalist is unkind and divisive, but not hateful. Doesn't seem to stop people in this forum...
Yep, they/we all can be unintentionally unkind and divisive

I tend to think it depends how the word is used and what the intentions are for the actions - hate has to do with a strong dislike against something or someone

Being unkind is is the opposite of being kind - kindness is not about having a strong feeling of either love/hate it is more about understanding and taking others perspective into consideration

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...sh/hate?q=Hate

to dislike someone or something very much:
Kelly hates her teacher.
She hated the cold, dark days of winter.
I hate it when you do that.

generous, helpful, and thinking about other people's feelings:
She's a very kind and thoughtful person.
It's very kind of you to help us.

Just on a side-note, I would think questioning another’s faith could be taken as being unkind and divisive as well …

Old 02-21-2023, 02:55 PM

88,516 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

Do you? Why?

It is a valid word, not an insult, for those who adhere to the beliefs in the set of essays called The Fundamentals, which basically laid out the belief that the Bible is to be taken literally and as the actual Word of God.

A lot of other Christians don't agree with fundamentalism and may use the word fundamentalist to describe those Christians, but it's not in and of itself unkind.

It can be divisive, though, because it separates one group of Christians from another.

I have used "literalists" instead at times. Do you take offense at that one? Just curious.

Old 02-21-2023, 03:21 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Do you? Why?

It is a valid word, not an insult, for those who adhere to the beliefs in the set of essays called The Fundamentals, which basically laid out the belief that the Bible is to be taken literally and as the actual Word of God.

A lot of other Christians don't agree with fundamentalism and may use the word fundamentalist to describe those Christians, but it's not in and of itself unkind.

It can be divisive, though, because it separates one group of Christians from another.

I have used "literalists" instead at times. Do you take offense at that one? Just curious.
Exactly- it has to do with not separating the label which is describing something about how someone thinks or what they believe about things from the actual individual person who is doing the thinking and feeling - and then becoming offended about the type of label and description which is not really a personal thing at all it is religious and doctrinal and descriptive about things above our own individual and personal levels

Christianity itself became and continues to be so focused on the many labels and descriptions used to describe function about itself and the ‘temporal’ things down here, that it is very confused about what it has been created for and where its allegiance is supposed to be

Old 02-21-2023, 04:19 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Exactly- it has to do with not separating the label which is describing something about how someone thinks or what they believe about things from the actual individual person who is doing the thinking and feeling - and then becoming offended about the type of label and description which is not really a personal thing at all it is religious and doctrinal and descriptive about things above our own individual and personal levels

Christianity itself became and continues to be so focused on the many labels and descriptions used to describe function about itself and the ‘temporal’ things down here, that it is very confused about what it has been created for and where its allegiance is supposed to be
It happened very early in the Christian movement after the death of Christ and the apostles. Those who controlled the religious leadership and the writings about God in the "mists of time" were thoroughly indoctrinated into belief in a wrathful and vengeful God who needed to be appeased by us worthless humans. They were unable to fully accept the God of agape love and forgiveness Jesus unambiguously revealed and demonstrated to them with His body and life! The dominant religious custodians of the sacred writings made sure that the writings confirmed their beliefs about God first and foremost and made sure the salvation message fit their blood sacrifice beliefs in appeasement.
They even included specific prohibitions against any "private interpretations," changes called heresy, and whatnot. Their unshakable belief in the need for sacrifice to appease God is what birthed the convoluted and irrational explanation of the crucifixion that is used even today. Attributing the wrath and vengeance of our ancestors to God's non-existent wrath has to be the epitome of irrationality. We, humans, are nothing if not superb rationalizers of the irrational. It has been a travesty of monumental proportions, IMO. It is difficult to promote the love Jesus taught and demonstrated if your God is a wrathful and vengeful monster.

Old 02-22-2023, 04:49 AM

9,895 posts, read 1,263,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkintheLight View Post
What has happened to Christian Love in America? I saw a sign held up by some young woman and it read, " There is no greater Hate than Christian Love".

It really struck me deeply. We have Christian folks going with Loud speakers telling this person and that person to Repent or Perish in Hell. Street preachers as you would call them. They film these things and put them on the internet. Now also we have discernment ministries that attack other ministry's. This is their sole purpose. They will spend the entire time denouncing others and not mention the name of Jesus Christ once.

The polarization among the organized religions in America has reached new levels. We have so many denominations claiming to be the, One True Church. Exactly how many one True Church groups exist I do not even know.

We should be judging ourselves only and continue to judge ourselves until we are perfect like Jesus Christ. This will never happen this side of the grave. So many Christians are stone throwers now. We will not hesitate to just carry around a back pack full of stones and pelt folks at will. On top of that we make videos of this and create youtube channels, then want donations also.

This is not Biblical Christianity. Stop judging others and judge yourselves. Return to Love, after all we fight not with flesh and blood.

We are suppose to be separate from the World. In it but not of it. May the Lord have mercy on our souls.
I saw street preacher in a heavily trafficked tourist area last fall. He was telling passersby “Repent or Perish.” He told them to be ready that we won’t know when Jesus will come again. Most people passed by without any sort of acknowledgement. Others mocked. One of the girls I was with didn’t like it one bit. She said, “Religion is a private thing. People shouldn’t be on the streets shoving it down our throats.”

Personally, I felt uplifted to see someone out there trying his best to follow Jesus. I admired his boldness. I said to the the girl I was with, “You may not like his approach, but you can’t deny the message he was bringing.”

Isn’t that what Jesus, John the Baptizer, and the apostles did? Wasn’t “Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand” their main message? Weren’t they street preachers also?

Old 02-22-2023, 10:56 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
I am going to be honest. I have only known a handful of people from whom I truly felt what could be called Christian love.

People are people, and we are imperfect. MANY Christians I have known have had a superior air, or otherwise were judgy.

I say this as a (returned) Christian myself. And I don't exclue myself from that. I don't know how I'm coming off on the forums here but I know I get heated so I probably come off just as terribly as I have viewed others.

BUT there IS such a thing as Christian love - as people who practice Christianity truly from the viewpoint of love and acceptance. Real love and real acceptance. For the atheists, agnostics and religious practicing other religions here, I am not saying non-Christians can't love, LOL. (Just making sure you realize that.) I am saying, people who practice love first from their Christian perspective DO exist, but the truly loving and truly humble, with no agenda, are rare. They're beautiful.

Also, there are many, many Christians who try to help others, even if from a judgy perspective, or, Heaven forbid! ...an imperfect one. So there is that, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity