Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 09:06 AM

249 posts, read 504,639 times

Advertisements

I'd like reponses to this to not be judgemental or critical. THanks.

I was talking to a religious friend and he said Baptists believe salvation comes through faith alone. I know the Catholic church has scaraments and the need to follow the tradition of the church as well. So here is the question...

According to Baptists, wouldn't Catholics be saved just the same because they already believe in Jesus, they are just doing *even more*? For example, if your mom tells you to clean your room in order to get your allowance and you clean your room and clean the bathroom, you've met the thresehold given to you. Most people wouldn't say, "Youve actually done too much so cleaning your bedroom doens't count."

Can someone walk me through this as to why or why not it doens't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2023, 09:30 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,339,984 times
This ought a be good

Old 04-10-2023, 09:53 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
If you believe Christ died for your sins and was raised to new life for Himself all who are in Him - which results in God sending a person the Holy Spirit, then you have the gift of salvation.

Everything else is extra regardless of the denomination.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:00 AM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiste13 View Post

I was talking to a religious friend and he said Baptists believe salvation comes through faith alone. I know the Catholic church has scaraments and the need to follow the tradition of the church as well. So here is the question...

According to Baptists, wouldn't Catholics be saved just the same because they already believe in Jesus, they are just doing *even more*? For example, if your mom tells you to clean your room in order to get your allowance and you clean your room and clean the bathroom, you've met the thresehold given to you. Most people wouldn't say, "Youve actually done too much so cleaning your bedroom doens't count."

The operative words here are "faith alone." That means faith and nothing else. I'm neither a Catholic nor a Baptist, but I am a Christian and it doesn't make sense to me either. To me, if you have faith in someone, you do what they tell you to do. You don't just say, "Well, I have faith; it doesn't matter how I live my life."

I think, on the other hand, that most believers in "faith alone" will tell you that it's okay to do good works, as long as you don't believe they will play any part in your salvation. Again, that doesn't make much sense to me, but I think that's their rationale.

Others will say, "Well, you don't have to do good works to be saved, but once you 'are saved,' you'll just automatically be compelled by your faith in Christ to do those works." That's fine, but if you claim to be saved and don't do good works, you apparently aren't really 'saved.' Talk about going around in circles.

Lastly, saved by "grace alone" is different from being saved by "faith alone" but if you're saved by both grace alone and faith alone, then you're not saved by anything alone.

Last edited by Katzpur; 04-10-2023 at 11:15 AM..

Old 04-10-2023, 10:17 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:

I'm not a Baptist although I went to and was baptized in a Baptist church as a boy. I am non-denominational and do believe that, as the Bible says, eternal life is a free gift and is attained by grace alone through faith alone and not by anything that we can do by way of meritorious works.

As I see it, faith in Christ for eternal life is an acknowledgement that we cannot do anything by way of works or obedience, or anything else to earn or deserve eternal life and therefore must rely completely on Jesus for eternal salvation. Therefore, if a person adds anything to faith alone in Christ alone for eternal life then that person has NOT trusted in Christ alone for eternal life. That person does not believe that what Jesus did on the cross is sufficent to make our salvation possible but that we must do something in addition to what Jesus did at the cross.

That means that adding anything to faith alone in Christ alone is an attempt to help Jesus row the boat of our salvation and therefore a person who adds anything to faith alone has not placed his faith in Jesus alone but in Jesus and on whatever else that person thinks must be added to faith. Since he has not trusted in Christ ALONE, he has not been saved. In other words, you cannot do ''even more'' than simply trusting in Christ alone for eternal life. You cannot add anything to faith alone in order to receive the free gift of eternal life. Works are an issue with regard to the spiritual life of the believer after having been saved. Works are not an issue with regard to attaining eternal life. That's the way I see it.

Old 04-10-2023, 10:19 AM

13,621 posts, read 7,936,616 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
From twitter user @PatriarchPrimus:

“According to protestants, believing in Christ is enough for salvation unless you’re catholic in which case believing in Christ is not enough for salvation and you have to convert to protestantismâ€

Old 04-10-2023, 10:33 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Confessing and believing (having faith) that Jesus is the way for eternal life, is the explicit direction of Jesus for salvation. Nothing else is on that level, or replaces that.

Sacraments are not one saying he/she believes Jesus died for their sins. They're about thinking bread and wine are flesh and blood, respectively. They're an optional / ritual matter done in remembrance of Jesus.

The first (spiritual approach) is strictly between God and oneself / one's soul. It's internal and personal.

The second (church/religious approach) is based on outward actions (going to church, giving money to church, following church rules, following church rituals). It's external and group-based.

Two very different levels and approaches that are not equal.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-10-2023 at 11:01 AM..

Old 04-10-2023, 10:36 AM

249 posts, read 504,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
I'm not a Baptist although I went to and was baptized in a Baptist church as a boy. I am non-denominational and do believe that, as the Bible says, eternal life is a free gift and is attained by grace alone through faith alone and not by anything that we can do by way of meritorious works.

As I see it, faith in Christ for eternal life is an acknowledgement that we cannot do anything by way of works or obedience, or anything else to earn or deserve eternal life and therefore must rely completely on Jesus for eternal salvation. Therefore, if a person adds anything to faith alone in Christ alone for eternal life then that person has NOT trusted in Christ alone for eternal life. That person does not believe that what Jesus did on the cross is sufficent to make our salvation possible but that we must do something in addition to what Jesus did at the cross.

That means that adding anything to faith alone in Christ alone is an attempt to help Jesus row the boat of our salvation and therefore a person who adds anything to faith alone has not placed his faith in Jesus alone but in Jesus and on whatever else that person thinks must be added to faith. Since he has not trusted in Christ ALONE, he has not been saved. In other words, you cannot do ''even more'' than simply trusting in Christ alone for eternal life. You cannot add anything to faith alone in order to receive the free gift of eternal life. Works are an issue with regard to the spiritual life of the believer after having been saved. Works are not an issue with regard to attaining eternal life. That's the way I see it.
How do YOU decide of other people are doing good works because Jesus commands them to vs "They don't trust Jesus enough"? I am neither faith so I don't have a dog in the fight, but it seems to me like this answer is trying to say people who believe in Jesus have a "free pass" to do anything they want (or not do anything to help other people).

If I met two people and one said they want to save stray dogs and that desire is enough to make a difference vs someone who donates to the shelter and volunteers their time... well, one puts their money where their mouth is. I am not aruing with you to argue, I'm trying to understand why one group *even cares* about the other when the other believes in the same God AND does good works.

The other question is it's my understanding the Catholic Church compiled the books of the bible. Isn't it strange to use that foundation to say the people who compiled the very book you're using are wrong?

Old 04-10-2023, 11:02 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
How do YOU decide of other people are doing good works because Jesus commands them to vs "They don't trust Jesus enough"? I am neither faith so I don't have a dog in the fight, but it seems to me like this answer is trying to say people who believe in Jesus have a "free pass" to do anything they want (or not do anything to help other people).
This is one reason why works are not part of the equation.

Ultimately God has total control of how is saved through the sending of the Holy Spirit. It's not up to us. All we can do is judge the fruit of people's actions.

Believers do not have a free pass - as we will all be judged by Christ for our deeds. We may be saved, but will be saved through the fire (1 Corinthians 3:10-15).

Old 04-10-2023, 11:30 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
The fruits of the Spirit are. Galatians 5:22

When one accepts Jesus Christ as Lord an Savior, you are a new creation. One then decides to follow Him, his lifestyle. One is encouraged by other Believers meeting together, Hebrews 10:25. My walk with Christ is Daily.

As a prodigal, asked what church to attend. First, the Bible is the only book, the church believes in the Trinity (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) and a growing church.

When I come to my eternal home, GOD will have me account for me only, no one else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity