Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 08:35 AM

9,899 posts, read 1,284,497 times

Advertisements

Is obedience necessary for salvation?

Preaching of the gospel brought about obedience to the faith.

Acts 6:7
The word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

Obeying the truth brings about purification of the soul.

1 Peter 1:22
Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,

Paul’s mission was to bring about obedience to the faith.

Romans 1:5
through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name’s sake,

Romans 16:26
but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith;

The Roman Christians had been slaves of sin, but they became obedient from the heart to what they’d been taught.

Romans 6:17
But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,

The results of Paul’s preaching to the Gentiles was obedience.
Romans 15:18

For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed,

God will punish those who do not obey the gospel.

2 Thessalonians 1:8
He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

1 Peter 4:17
For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 09:07 AM

4,648 posts, read 1,197,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

The word of God kept on spreading; and the number of the disciples continued to increase greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests were becoming obedient to the faith.

Since you have in obedience to the truth purified your souls for a sincere love of the brethren, fervently love one another from the heart,

through whom we have received grace and apostleship to bring about the obedience of faith among all the Gentiles for His name’s sake,

but now is manifested, and by the Scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the eternal God, has been made known to all the nations, leading to obedience of faith;

The Roman Christians had been slaves of sin, but they became obedient from the heart to what they’d been taught.

But thanks be to God that though you were slaves of sin, you became obedient from the heart to that form of teaching to which you were committed,

For I will not presume to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me, resulting in the obedience of the Gentiles by word and deed,

He will punish those who do not know God and do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.

For the time has come for judgment to begin at the house of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the end of those who do not obey the gospel of God?
The only obedience that saves, that makes the many righteous, is the ONE Obedience of Christ Rom 5:19

19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

Notice this poster said nothing about Christ and Him Crucified, and His Obedience that saves. Its all man centered !

Old 06-06-2023, 09:12 AM

14,900 posts, read 17,194,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

Salvation is from the enslavement to sin by the power of God. Obedience is an indication that we are being saved from the enslavement to sin. There has to be a change in our lives if we claim to be followers of Jesus Christ. It is because of the obedience of Christ, His sacrifice and resurrection, that we are able to walk in the truth. If someone says they are being saved and yet continues to walk in darkness, they are not being saved from the enslavement to sin. For example, if someone continues to display hate for others instead of love, he or she is not being delivered, saved from hate. They continue to walk in it.

1 John 2
3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God[a] is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister[b] is still in the darkness.

1 John 1
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-06-2023 at 09:22 AM..

Old 06-06-2023, 09:53 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times
Gal 3:1-3 "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?"

There is a correlation, in that the one who is saved does obey, but no, obedience does not grant us salvation, nor does it preserve our salvation. If it did, then it would be faith + works that saves, instead of faith alone.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:38 AM

I believe that Jesus told His listeners to believe in Him. Believing in Him involves obedience because you are to do what He says, believe in Him. Believing in Jesus is an act of obedience. If He tells people to believe that He is Savior and that in Him they have life in Him, this involves a response, although ultimately all things are from God. All originates in Him and is worked by Him. We are not saved by doing works of the law but we are being saved by believing, having faith in Jesus which it itself is an act of obedience.

John 5

37 And the Father who sent Me, He has testified of Me. You have neither heard His voice at any time nor seen His form. 38 You do not have His word abiding in you, for you do not believe Him whom He sent.

39 [i]You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal (aionios) life; it is these that testify about Me; 40 and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life. 41 I do not receive glory from men; 42 but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves. 43 I have come in My Father’s name, and you do not receive Me; if another comes in his own name, you will receive him. NASB

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-06-2023 at 11:03 AM..

Old 06-06-2023, 10:51 AM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
Belief is necessary for salvation. Obedience is important, but not required. And no, Paul's teachings are not superior to Jesus' on the subject.

Old 06-06-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Belief is necessary for salvation. Obedience is important, but not required. And no, Paul's teachings are not superior to Jesus' on the subject.
How can we separate the teachings of Jesus from those of the apostle Paul who Jesus gave His teachings to?

What does this mean and these were given by the apostle John.

1 John 2
3 We know that we have come to know him if we keep his commands. 4 Whoever says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in that person. 5 But if anyone obeys his word, love for God[a] is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him: 6 Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.

7 Dear friends, I am not writing you a new command but an old one, which you have had since the beginning. This old command is the message you have heard. 8 Yet I am writing you a new command; its truth is seen in him and in you, because the darkness is passing and the true light is already shining.

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister[b] is still in the darkness.

1 John 1
5 This is the message we have heard from Him and announce to you, that God is Light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth

and Jesus tells us

Luke 6
4 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 06-06-2023 at 11:08 AM..

Old 06-06-2023, 11:08 AM

251 posts, read 78,447 times

Absolutely.The Grace of God will always lead a saved person into His holiness and righteousness.Nothing defiled will enter God's Kingdom, whether a person professes Jesus' name or not.

1 John 2
[3] And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
[4] He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
[5] But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
[6] He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:13 AM

251 posts, read 78,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Gal 3:1-3 "O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you? It was before your eyes that Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified. Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?"

There is a correlation, in that the one who is saved does obey, but no, obedience does not grant us salvation, nor does it preserve our salvation. If it did, then it would be faith + works that saves, instead of faith alone.

Walking in God's holiness and righteousness is not the definition of "works" as mentioned in Ephesians 2:8-9. Here is what Grace really is:

Titus 2
[11] For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
[12] Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
[13] Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
[14] Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
[15] These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.

Old 06-06-2023, 11:27 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,047,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-07-07 View Post
Walking in God's holiness and righteousness is not the definition of "works" as mentioned in Ephesians 2:8-9. Here is what Grace really is:

Titus 2
[11] For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
[12] Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
[13] Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
[14] Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
[15] These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
Rather than quote a passage that you apparently read differently than I do (because you responded to me, quoting a verse I didn't refer to even), why not actually say what you believe Titus 2 is saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity