Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 01:13 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
We don’t have a harbour freight here, no idea what he means either….
Harbor Freight instantly brings to my mind cheap junky tools. Not quality stuff. Knock-offs. Won't last. Looks very similar or the same on the surface, but it's not the same as quality tools.

So, I think BF was basically saying some religious teachings or churches/denominations/etc. are preaching a false gospel. Fake. Imitation. They may be preaching "Jesus" but the teachings are false, in his opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 01:15 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Harbor Freight instantly brings to my mind cheap junky tools. Not quality stuff. Knock-offs. Won't last. Looks very similar or the same on the surface, but it's not the same as quality tools.

So, I think BF was basically saying some religious teachings or churches/denominations/etc. are preaching a false gospel. Fake. Imitation. They may be preaching "Jesus" but the teachings are false, in his opinion.
Ahhh, thank you

Old 12-19-2023, 01:29 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post

Ah, yes. I should have known. Well, I don't know which Jesus BF approves of, but the Jesus I believe in created our universe under His Father's direction, was the Only Begotten Son of God, born to the Virgin Mary over 2000 years ago in the little middle-eastern village of Bethlehem. He lived a perfect life, healed the sick, gave sight to the blind and even raised the dead. He taught a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness. He took upon himself the sorrows and wounds of mankind and died a sinless sacrifice for mankind, even forgiving His murderers as He hung dying on a cross. Then, on the third day, He conquered death and appeared to His Apostles as a resurrected being. He sits today on the right hand of God where He has gone to prepare a place for us.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:12 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,685,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Ah, yes. I should have known. Well, I don't know which Jesus BF approves of, but the Jesus I believe in created our universe under His Father's direction, was the Only Begotten Son of God, born to the Virgin Mary over 2000 years ago in the little middle-eastern village of Bethlehem. He lived a perfect life, healed the sick, gave sight to the blind and even raised the dead. He taught a gospel of love, mercy and forgiveness. He took upon himself the sorrows and wounds of mankind and died a sinless sacrifice for mankind, even forgiving His murderers as He hung dying on a cross. Then, on the third day, He conquered death and appeared to His Apostles as a resurrected being. He sits today on the right hand of God where He has gone to prepare a place for us.
Well put

As sparrow said that is just BF’s opinion

Old 12-19-2023, 04:27 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,162,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Rom 2:16

In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
Bingo we have a winner!....right outta the book.........

Old 12-19-2023, 05:06 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
When each of us stands before our Maker to be judged, what do you believe the criteria by which He judges us will be? Possible answers are:

Which denomination we affiliated with
Whether we understood all of His truths accurately or not
Whether we were "born again" or not
How well we loved Him
How well we loved our fellowmen
Whether we received the right sacraments or not
Whether we accepted or rejected the doctrine of sola scriptura
How well we understood the Bible
Whether we lived the "letter of the law" or not

What do you think will be the fate of those individuals who fell short in those areas in which you believe we will be held accountable?

Whether we killed enough heathens and unbelievers.*

*It sounds shocking today, but it wouldn't have been shocking to people living 1000 years ago. Even today, it wouldn't be shocking to members of some Islamic militant groups.

Old 12-20-2023, 04:38 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,629,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Whether we killed enough heathens and unbelievers.*

*It sounds shocking today, but it wouldn't have been shocking to people living 1000 years ago. Even today, it wouldn't be shocking to members of some Islamic militant groups.

I'm lost on this one. Sounds more like what I cleaned out of the barn.

Nothing in the New Testament about killing heathens and unbelievers. Just the opposite in fact.

Again, we will be judged on whether we accepted the works of Jesus (bearing our sin on the cross) in his death and resurrection then do we show the fruit of our acceptance of Jesus (born again). That good fruit is meant to grow His church (The Bride).

I am not saying that what we do for others or the love we have for others determines our judgement as we cannot earn salvation. Works will determine rewards at the Judgement Seat of Christ.

But if we reject Jesus, then our judgement is the 2nd death. The perfect example is the criminals on the crosses beside Jesus, only one called out to Jesus in a repentant nature and recognized him as messiah and King. The other mocked him and his position. These two represent the world's attitude toward Jesus. One is with Jesus in Paradise and one will not be.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:52 AM

2,767 posts, read 2,665,675 times
On the Day when every soul will be confronted with all the good it has done,
and all the evil it has done,
it will wish there were a great distance between it and its evil.
But Allah cautions you (To remember) Himself.
And Allah is full of kindness to those that serve Him.

This day every soul shall be rewarded for what it has earned
no injustice (shall be done) this day
surely Allah is quick in reckoning.

And whoso doeth good an atom's weight will see it then,
And whoso doeth ill an atom's weight will see it then.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
You've never done anything good in your life? You've never helped anyone? Never said a kind word to anyone? Never done a good deed?
The apostle Paul said that his good works were like filthy rags. In regards to salvation, no -- my sin permeates my whole body and it does nothing in regard to making me good in God's eyes.

Old 12-20-2023, 10:57 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,007,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Harbor Freight is a hardware store. So . . .I have no idea.
They sell cheap knock-off tools. Like ordering from Wish or Temu. It kinda sorta resembles the original, but it is a counterfeit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity