Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2024, 05:51 AM

9,907 posts, read 1,289,921 times

Advertisements

How do you distinguish between soul and spirit?

I’m thinking that the “spirit” is that part of the inward man which is made in the image of God (Gn.1:26-27),

Soul, also part of the inward man seems to refer to “me” (my person, the seat of my emotions), which animates my body.

Joint and marrow refer to the outward man.

“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12

Im also thinking that context matters when discussing soul and spirit.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2024, 06:34 AM

123 posts, read 21,717 times
God created spiritual being in the angels and Humans with a soul.Jesus took on a soul to save humanity.We are not the same as Angels and is why the fallen Angels don't want Human souls in heaven.We are simply not worthy to enter to them.They can't stop Jesus with his human soul from entering heaven and he shut them up for good.The bible tell you that Satan was at God thrown continuously pointing out how evil humans are until Jesus came.He vanquish them from the thrown of God.

Old 05-10-2024, 06:47 AM

45,706 posts, read 27,325,537 times
Soul - our thoughts, mental aspect, emotions

Spirit - conscience level, where the Holy Spirit resides there in believers

Hebrews 9:14 - how much more will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without blemish to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

Hebrews 10:22 - let us draw near with a sincere heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled clean from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.

The conscience is cleansed with the Holy Spirit.

We can also make decisions against our conscience. Our conscience can convict us.

1 Samuel 24:5 - It came about afterward that David’s conscience bothered him because he had cut off the edge of Saul’s robe.

Romans 2:15 - in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them,

Old 05-10-2024, 08:32 AM

28,122 posts, read 30,046,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

I’m thinking that the “spirit” is that part of the inward man which is made in the image of God (Gn.1:26-27),

Soul, also part of the inward man seems to refer to “me” (my person, the seat of my emotions), which animates my body.

“For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” (Hebrews 4:12

Your thoughts?
While the Bible does occasionally use these terms interchangeably, in Genesis we are told that when God breathed life into Adam, he "became a living soul." So I believe that the body + the spirit = the soul.

I don't believe the spirit is made in the image of God because that is not what the word "image" means. An "image" is the representation of something's physical properties. I don't believe we can arbitrarily change the meaning of the word just so suit our understanding of the scriptures.

Old 05-10-2024, 04:27 PM

9,697 posts, read 10,048,563 times
The soul will die on all people who pass away without salvation with Jesus, where the spirit of lost people will continue to exist until the great judgment of God's creation where the second death will happen then the spirit of lost people will be gone

Old 05-10-2024, 04:31 PM

11,909 posts, read 3,737,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKate12 View Post

Your thoughts?
Close to what I believe but I think there is an added part of this where there is also reference to us individually as opposed to us collectively

This is also where the timing and regional things come in to play

There is references in both old and New Testaments about walking in the Spirit and walking through the valley of shadow of death which is us here now in the earthly ‘realm’ ‘dimension’

Psa 23:4**Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

Gal 5:16**This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Not the literal physical walking I think - it’s metaphorical like the eyes of our mind/heart/understanding mentioned here

Eph 1:18**The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

G1271 (Strong)
διάνοια
dianoia
dee-an'-oy-ah
From G1223 and G3563; deep thought, properly the faculty (mind or its disposition), by implication its exercise: - imagination, mind, understanding.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-10-2024 at 04:40 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
While the Bible does occasionally use these terms interchangeably, in Genesis we are told that when God breathed life into Adam, he "became a living soul." So I believe that the body + the spirit = the soul.

I don't believe the spirit is made in the image of God because that is not what the word "image" means. An "image" is the representation of something's physical properties. I don't believe we can arbitrarily change the meaning of the word just so suit our understanding of the scriptures.
I think of the soul as being between the spirit and flesh with links/connection both ways

Old 05-10-2024, 04:52 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The soul will die on all people who pass away without salvation with Jesus, where the spirit of lost people will continue to exist until the great judgment of God's creation where the second death will happen then the spirit of lost people will be gone
Most people lived and died without knowing about Jesus. - John 3:13
Resurrection is for the righteous and unrighteous (KJV just and unjust ) Acts 24:15
So, what the unrighteous/unjust do 'after' they are resurrected will determine their everlasting life or not.
Like God's spirit "it" (Numbers 11:17,25 ) our spirit is also a neuter "it" - Ecclesiastes 12:7 B (it)
What will be gone are all the 'wicked destroyed forever' - Psalms 92:7; 104:35; 145:20; Proverbs 2:21-22; Rev. 11:18 B.

P,S, Please also see post # 66 about the symbolism and lesson regarding God creating Adam......

Old 05-10-2024, 04:56 PM

This is very much related to there being a conceptual difference in what pertains to the lesser/individual and to the greater/collective (we need to discern/understand between them)

‘In Adam’ and ‘in Christ’ are the ‘collective’ types and what they have been striving for in their dominion and authority over humanity - they are termed ‘greater’

Eph 6:12**For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Last edited by Meerkat2; 05-10-2024 at 05:11 PM..

Old 05-10-2024, 05:05 PM

10,074 posts, read 4,995,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
.................................................. .................................................. .....................
‘In Adam’ and ‘in Christ’ are the ‘collective’ types and what they have been striving for in their dominion and authority over humanity
Jesus' ransom ( Matt. 20:28; Mark 10:45 ) was equal to what was lost. Not more or less, Not over or not under.
A perfect life for a perfect life: Adam had human perfection before sinning. Jesus had human perfection and did Not sin.
Thus, on a balancing scale Jesus balanced the scales of justice for us - Galatians 3:13; Titus 2:13-14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity