Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:47 AM

7 posts, read 50,455 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me what the characteristics are of each of the five fold ministry gifts? I know what they basically are, but any input would be appreciated.

Brendac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:00 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,546,566 times
First we need a scripture for "five-fold ministry gifts" . :-)

Old 06-22-2008, 06:22 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,693,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
First we need a scripture for "five-fold ministry gifts" . :-)
This is the scripture I believe for the question you are asking.

Ephesians 4:11
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:42 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,041,803 times
Default Another Scripture...

1 Corinthians 12:27-29

"Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles?..."

Old 06-23-2008, 01:01 PM

79 posts, read 211,966 times
It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers.

I have heard Apostles defined as those who go in first...like missionaries, or church planters, i also think of these types as Pastors Pastors...their ministry is mobile and spans regions and is thinking growth.

Prophets-- are like the Preachers as we know them today. A Shepherd heart with a fresh word from the Lord for his immediate flock. This messenger carries a unique gift from God and is used to bring a message to a class or group.

Evangelist- this gifting is power based, they often have miracles, signs and wonders, they travel a circuit, God uses them to discern and impart to churches. Often a Pastor is too close to see or God doesn't want him to see certain things but a evangelist will come and carry a different credibility and when he discovers something or proclaims something it is confirmed readily and accepted more easily and he doesn't have to stay deal with the fall out. He was equipped to get a church out of a rutt, out of dead formalism, or to bring a revival to outreach and zeal.

You can operate in this giftings without being fulltime in them i believe as well.

Pastors-

Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 PM

74 posts, read 264,662 times
Default five fold characteristics

I'm involved in five fold ministries. One of the things I've noticed is that we are strong believers in edification, especially prophets. The apostles are the church planters. Many worship the Lord on Friday night instead of Sunday. Evangelist travel around sharing a certain message from the Lord. From my experience, and I'm still somewhat new to five fold, people in five fold have a strong belief in the miracles, signs and wonders. Many believe that anyone can operate in the spirit of prophecy, which is different from the gift of prophecy and being a prophet. God can move in the body of christ any way he wants. Pastors have a heart to shepard people. Teachers have a special gift to teach others so that they may get understanding. Some of the best teachers I've learned from have been in the five fold ministry. There is also a belief in angels. The worship is filled with song and dance led by the Holy Spirit. I hope I did not misrepresent the five fold, but this has been my experience. Apostles not only plant ministries, but operate in the miracles. Some prophets sing a new song prophetically to the Lord.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:11 AM

The Ministry of an Apostle in the Body of Christ

EPHESIANS 4:11 and He Gave some, Apostles...”

An Apostle is one who establishes churches, a true Apostle will have the other ministry offices residing in his call, such as Prophet, Evangelist, Pastor, And Teacher. These different ministry gifts are needed in establishing churches.

The word Apostle means “one sent forth, a sent one”. Missionaries are sent.

Paul was called and anointed by God to be an Apostle.

Acts 13:2-3 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have called them. And when they had fasted and prayed, and laid their hands on them, they sent them away.

The Ministry of a Prophet in the Body of Christ

1 CORINTHIANS 12:28 And God hath set some in the church, first Apostles, secondarily Prophets..

EPHESIANS 4:11 “And He gave some Apostles and some Prophets..”

A Prophet is one who utters a communication, in speaking the mind of God. In the Old Testament a prophet was also called a “seer or a watchman”.

The scriptures make it very plain that God has set prophets in the New Testament church. Believing otherwise is doubting the Word of God – and even the words of Jesus.

Certain gifts of the Holy Spirit manifest frequently in a prophets ministry: the Word of Knowledge, the Word of Wisdom and the gift of Prophecy.

Prophets are sometimes sent to leaders, such as in the case of Apostle Paul
( Acts 21:4, 10-11 )

Agabus only spoke, what the Holy Spirit gave him to speak.

New Testament Scriptures regarding prophets

Acts 13:1 Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain prophets and teachers;

Acts 11:27-28 And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
And there stood up one of them named Agabus, and signified by the spirit that there should be great dearth throughout all the world: which came to pass in the days of Claudius Caesar.

Acts 21:4,10-11 And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus...

Prophets are Persecuted

Luke 13:34 O Jerusalem. Jerusalem, which killest the prophets and stonest them that are sent to thee..

2 Chronicles 36:16 But they mocked the messengers of God, and misused his
prophets, until there was no remedy.

1 Chronicles 16:22 Touch not mine anointed, and do my prophets no harm.

Prophets are not Honored

Matthew 13:57 And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.

Luke 4:24 And he said, Verily I say unto you, no prophet is accepted in his own country.

The Ministry of an Evangelist in the Body of Christ

Ephesians 4:11And He gave some...Evangelists…”

Evangelist are soul winners. That is the mark of their calling. Their main message is the gospel message of Jesus Christ. The office of an Evangelist has an anointing that draws people.

Romans 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Paul told Timothy to do the work of an Evangelist.

The only example we have of an Evangelist at work, is Philip.

Acts 8:5,12 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

1 Corinthians 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel...

Pastors and Teachers are pretty self explanatory...

Last edited by World Citizen; 06-26-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 06-26-2008, 08:58 AM

It is my understanding that the word "pasters' is misapplied. Pastors are synonymous with elders. I believe a close study of the 2 words will prove that.

Old 06-26-2008, 05:30 PM

Default Pastors & Teachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
It is my understanding that the word "pasters' is misapplied. Pastors are synonymous with elders. I believe a close study of the 2 words will prove that.
There are elders and there are elders who are pastors and teachers.

1 Timothy 5:17

The elders who direct the affairs of the church well are worthy of double honor, especially those whose work is preaching and teaching.

1 Peter 5:1-3

To the elders among you, I appeal as a fellow elder, a witness of Christ's sufferings and one who also will share in the glory to be revealed: Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers--not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:14 PM

I had never looked up 'pastors' in the concordance, and was surprised to find that the only place that that particular word is translated 'pastors' is Eph.4.11 , in the KJV. The same Greek word that is translated 'pastors' is translated 'shepherds' in most other verses. In fact, the word 'pastors' is only found the one time in the KJV. It makes we wonder why so many denominations choose to call their preachers "pastors' , instead of 'preachers', or 'evangelists' ? It seems like a pastor/shepherd is more like an elder than a preacher.

the 1st Peter 5.1-3 verses that World Citizen posted tells elders to shepherd the flock. So in that case , they could also be called pastors....right ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity