Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:36 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,553,800 times

Advertisements

My understanding of the word 'church' in the Bible is that it is refering to the disciples of Christ. Can anyone show me where it is a building ? Or an organization ?
I know what secular dictionaries say, but what does the Bible say?

Please, let's be civil about this. I am asking Christians, not unbelievers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,073,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
My understanding of the word 'church' in the Bible is that it is refering to the disciples of Christ. Can anyone show me where it is a building ? Or an organization ?
I know what secular dictionaries say, but what does the Bible say?

Please, let's be civil about this. I am asking Christians, not unbelievers.
Not sure but maybe this helps.

Ecclesia (church) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-23-2008, 07:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,874,275 times
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. EPHESIANS 2:19-22

I only underlined this to show where I believe it is stated... not to be obnoxious... just clarity. I know this can be read many ways, but the physical presense of a building where a community of people are joined together to sing the Lord's praiseis my interpretation...

I hope that helps.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post

Yes, I use Wikipedia a lot, and their Scriptural info is good in this case.

It isn't that I don't know what the scriptures say. It is the confusion that so many others seem to be laboring under.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God’s people and members of God’s household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit. EPHESIANS 2:19-22

I only underlined this to show where I believe it is stated... not to be obnoxious... just clarity. I know this can be read many ways, but the physical presense of a building where a community of people are joined together to sing the Lord's praiseis my interpretation...

I hope that helps.

And that is where we see this differantly. I see it as speaking of a spiritual buildling, where each Christian is a part of the 'building' and we are all a 'temple' of God's. He does not dwell in temple's built with hands any longer, but in each member of His church.

Last edited by Towhee; 06-23-2008 at 08:28 PM..

Old 06-23-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
And that is where we see this diferantly. I see it as speaking of a spiritual buildling, where each Christian is a part of the 'building' and we are all a 'temple' of God's. He does not dwell in temple's built with hands any longer, but in each member of His church.
Oh, I don't see him as LIVING in ONLY the church, but I see it as a house, where we all come together as a family to celebrate... to Thank God for the life he has so selflessly given to us... I think prayer is greater in numbers, and in today's day in age what better way to celebrate but in large numbers in one home? That is my view and my interpretation... a blessed community center in a way where we all come together... I think that is why I like going to church so much... I find it a welcoming home to celebrate in... I have even found myself at church to pray alone, because I can focus there, it is quiet when it is empty, unlike my home where my children, my gifts from God, celebrate through childsplay and joyful laughter... but for myself, I like to sit quietly and talk to God... kind of difficult with toddlers to find that quiet at times

Old 06-23-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't see him as LIVING in ONLY the church, but I see it as a house, where we all come together as a family to celebrate... to Thank God for the life he has so selflessly given to us... I think prayer is greater in numbers, and in today's day in age what better way to celebrate but in large numbers in one home? That is my view and my interpretation... a blessed community center in a way where we all come together... I think that is why I like going to church so much... I find it a welcoming home to celebrate in... I have even found myself at church to pray alone, because I can focus there, it is quiet when it is empty, unlike my home where my children, my gifts from God, celebrate through childsplay and joyful laughter... but for myself, I like to sit quietly and talk to God... kind of difficult with toddlers to find that quiet at times

I like this idea. When we had a Lectureship at our building last week, I told one of the visiting members from a neighboring congregation that that was my 'other home'.
It is a comfortable and convenient place for us to gather to worship God. Few of us have a home that is large enough, or in a convenient location, for all the congregation to meet in, even though our group is not all that large. The congregation in town is between 3 and 4 hundred. A private house would be pretty crowded with all of them in it.

In bigger cities, there are congregations that have several hundred members. Their buildings are merely convenient places to assemble. They are not 'sanctuaries', just meeting places.

In this day of robbers and vandals, the buildings are locked when not in use. Most of us, in our little congregation, have our own key so we can get in if we wish to, when it is not in use. Bigger congregations have a secretary there during the day, and the preacher has his office in the building. Our preacher is available at his own home.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM

Quote:
I like this idea. When we had a Lectureship at our building last week, I told one of the visiting members from a neighboring congregation that that was my 'other home'.
It is a comfortable and convenient place for us to gather to worship God. Few of us have a home that is large enough, or in a convenient location, for all the congregation to meet in, even though our group is not all that large. The congregation in town is between 3 and 4 hundred. A private house would be pretty crowded with all of them in it.

In bigger cities, there are congregations that have several hundred members. Their buildings are merely convenient places to assemble. They are not 'sanctuaries', just meeting places.

In this day of robbers and vandals, the buildings are locked when not in use. Most of us, in our little congregation, have our own key so we can get in if we wish to, when it is not in use. Bigger congregations have a secretary there during the day, and the preacher has his office in the building. Our preacher is available at his own home.
So, why is this "other home" of yours not a church? To me, they are one in the same. Wouldn't you say? Perhaps if you can look at it through the necessity a church provides for... a place to worship Christ together, to celebrate your love for him together... then maybe you can see why others attend a church... to be alone in celebration all the time would seem rather sad to me... dismal almost... you need a place large enough to support a crowd of celebrants, a church...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
So, why is this "other home" of yours not a church? To me, they are one in the same. Wouldn't you say? Perhaps if you can look at it through the necessity a church provides for... a place to worship Christ together, to celebrate your love for him together... then maybe you can see why others attend a church... to be alone in celebration all the time would seem rather sad to me... dismal almost... you need a place large enough to support a crowd of celebrants, a church...

It is not a 'church' because the people are the church. That is what God's word teaches, and that is wht I believe. We do not "attend a church" , we are the church. We attend the assembly of the church, at a building. Our building is large enough to contain all of us.
Where did you get the idea we are 'alone' when we assemble???

Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
It is not a 'church' because the people are the church. That is what God's word teaches, and that is wht I believe. We do not "attend a church" , we are the church. We attend the assembly of the church, at a building. Our building is large enough to contain all of us.
Where did you get the idea we are 'alone' when we assemble???
That was not what I meant... I am saying it WOULD BE LONELY to worship ALONE... not in a community in celebration... does that clarify things?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity