Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:27 PM

36 posts, read 130,009 times

Advertisements

I have heard many people define themselves as a Christian. Those definitions however come in every shape and size from...I believe in God, to... I got to church regularly, to...I'm a good person. I was curious to find out what you would define your faith as.

*Important Note: This thread is by no means a venue to condemn someone else's beliefs if they differ from yours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 05:35 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,657,890 times
My faith is in what Christ did on the cross for me. He paid the penalty for sin by shedding his blood on the cross. I believe that we accept we have sinned and that Christ is the only way to make us right with God. We surrender our lives and hearts to Him and then He works from the inside out and by His Holy Spirit He teaches and guides us. We learn about who God is in His Word and try to live out our Christian walk as best we can so we can be salt and light to the world.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:44 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,645,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
My faith is in what Christ did on the cross for me. He paid the penalty for sin by shedding his blood on the cross. I believe that we accept we have sinned and that Christ is the only way to make us right with God. We surrender our lives and hearts to Him and then He works from the inside out and by His Holy Spirit He teaches and guides us. We learn about who God is in His Word and try to live out our Christian walk as best we can so we can be salt and light to the world.
Well said. This is what Christianity means to me also.

Those who claim to be Christian and do not believe that Jesus is the only way to the Father are not Christians. Oprah comes to mind.

Christ + ians = belonging to Christ

Old 07-12-2008, 07:02 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,554,560 times
Christianity to me is simply trying to follow the life example that Christ set for us while he was here on earth.., and the teachings he gave us within the gospels..In my opinion there are no good christians, bad christians, lukewarm christians, born again christians, real christians, false christians. You either believe and follow Christ and his ways (christian )or you don't..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:59 PM

574 posts, read 2,048,144 times
I define myself as a Christian because I believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God who died for my sins and rose from the dead so that I can have eternal life, and I put all my trust in Him.

Nancy

Old 07-12-2008, 08:26 PM

14,919 posts, read 17,242,458 times
I would define my faith as believing that God sent Jesus to die for my sins and that it is through Jesus I am restored to the Father. God provided the Way for me and all of mankind to be reconciled to Him. It means that Jesus is Lord and Savior not only of me but of all, especially of those who trust in Him. It means seeking to follow Him, to serve Him, to be pleasing to God in my life. It is the heart of God revealed in what He did in giving His Son. God bless.

Last edited by ShanaBrown; 07-12-2008 at 08:37 PM..

Old 07-13-2008, 12:55 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,126,670 times
I BELIEVE that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that He died to pay for our sins and that He rose again to conquor death so that we may have everlasting life.
I ACCEPT that gift and repent of my sins.
I FOLLOW His teaching with the help of the Holy Spirit.

Old 07-13-2008, 03:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,228,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Christianity to me is simply trying to follow the life example that Christ set for us while he was here on earth.., and the teachings he gave us within the gospels..In my opinion there are no good christians, bad christians, lukewarm christians, born again christians, real christians, false christians. You either believe and follow Christ and his ways (christian )or you don't..
Emphasis on life - I do think many miss the life aspects of Jesus' ministry and too much focus on the cross and also not enough on the resurrection wherein we actually have our hope.

Blessings

Old 07-13-2008, 07:04 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,501,992 times
Who are the "good" Christians? How many have lived in imitation of the life of Christ? How many have followed in Christ’s footsteps? - Francis of Assisi, Mother Teresa, perhaps? There are many pretenders, but only a few saints to be found among all the pious frauds - too many of them pass more gas than gospel! The characteristic trait of Christ is selflessness, the rarest of all virtues. A true Christian does not proselytize, but performs good works; and does so anonymously, without fanfare or expectation of reward. One should be suspicious of those who are "Holier than Thou."

Old 07-13-2008, 09:41 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,163,508 times
I firmly believe and have faith in the following and as such define myself :

I fear God with a most reverent fear. The God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob, is my God, and Jesus the Christ, His only begotten Son, who lived a perfect life, and died a horrific death, willingly, for ME! God the Father accepted this payment for our sins, to reconcile us back to Himself, to give us life. Jesus as my High Priest sprinkled His Blood, for me, upon the Great Mercy Seat in heaven, and then sat down at the right hand of God, our Father. He is my forever King of kings.

My duty as a Christian is to follow my King, honoring Him in how I live my life. The virtues displayed by Jesus, and the Apostles are my example.

To repent from sin, whatever that sin may be. To abstain from fleshly desires. To learn from the Spirit. To show these virtues to others, that they may see what it means, to me, to follow the King. To teach my children my beliefs and faith. To accept that which sometimes I don't understand, like tribulations, and hardships according to the will of God. To live with a sound and sober mind, always giving thanks to God and His Son for what they have done for me.

To die is gain, and to live out the remainder of this life, is only to Glorify Him. I am a light powered by the Father of Lights. I am a son, given this title by the Son of ALL Sons. I am reconciled. I am free. I subject this freedom to Him, and follow no other master. His will, is my will. My children, are His Children. My family, is His Family. Our pain and suffering, He feels this as well. I am weak, but He is Strong. To overcome, in this life, is Life Eternal.

As a man of flesh and blood, I make mistakes. By living in a broken world, we all do. But this doesn't mean we stop the fight! It doesn't mean we are easily seduced by the pleasing of the eyes. The coveting of the world that sometimes can be so seductive. This fight, for righteousness, must remain strong in our hearts, if our Father dwells within. His Laws are written there.

We struggle with powers unseen, powers in higher places than we know about, and only read about. But we know they are there, for the seductions and lies are strong. We see that some men of God are entrapped by them. We rush to their judgment, not knowing that by which we judge to perfection, we shall be judged accordingly.

We should forgive as we have been forgiven. As many times as this takes. It should never run out, as mercy comes from the Father of Mercy, and it is endless. It is Perfect! We should show that by which we also wish to be shown. We should love like we HAVE been Loved, by our God who by definition, IS LOVE! We should hate the evil in the world, realizing that people who commit evil, aren't the evil they commit. Jesus saw this clearly. He Loved those sinners unconditionally, asking them only to "sin no more".

The lies that run rampant in the buildings we call churches should be stood against. The real Church is stronger than this. Jesus the Christ is the foundational Stone for the Temple of God. Where is this Temple? Look in the mirror, for it is there, for those who believe. As the Temple of God we should offer up daily, Spiritual Sacrifices. Sometimes these sacrifices hurt us in the fleshly sense, while sanctifying the spirit. Things like giving until it hurts. Loving without returns. Helping those who are less fortunate than us. Spreading the Great News to those Father might have put in front of us, for that moment, or by searching them out in the darkness of this world. These are those who testify on our behalf. Our witnesses, as we, as believers, are Christ's witnesses. We who proclaim the Great News, STAND UP! Be not afraid of this world, for this world will end. Christ will come back, as Father only knows when, and establish a Kingdom without End. All eyes will see this, and ALL knees will bend. But only those who by the Grace and Mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ will be called inside the City, and partake of the Tree of Life. This narrow road, and small gate, is the life we lead! Either to His Glory, or to the wide path of our glory. One to Life, the other to destruction.

This choice is ours to make, but either way, God's Will, will be done, to His Son's Glory! For this everything was established, and created. For this the world was made, and everything in it. Everything is His, the First of ALL Creation. We are just so thankful and pleased to be included in this Master Plan. To even be considered, is mind blowing.

Sometimes I think we don't fathom the Greatness of this Plan, and the Greatness and Holiness of God the Father. Sometimes I don't think we realize what the Son did, by becoming human, and living and dying in this creation He Created. We read about it, and it moves our hearts. But if we really knew what it did to the Higher Kingdoms, we would be awestruck beyond reproach. You would see such a dramatic change in peoples lives, and how they live them. You would see a Christian, and KNOW a Christian, just by how they lived, spoke, loved. It is God and His Son being Glorified in our lives, being built up day by day, or are they just yet a stepping stone that will be crushed under the Glory of Glories?

This is our choice. Part of His Plan for you, and for me. Who knows ALL the answers, except He who even Created the Questions. None of us know anything, compared with God who KNOWS ALL. The pieces of this puzzle lay in the Creation itself. So for anyone to claim this, or that, is nothing. We see what we are allowed to see, and know what the Spirit allows us to know. By seeking, we are found. By finding, we then question? Why?

Faith is what drives us.

The unseen and the belief in God the Father is Faith. We were not there when Christ died horribly on a old rugged tree. But we have Faith He did. We were not there when the world was created, in whatever manner God did it, but we have Faith He DID! I can't see a Christian 4000 miles away, but I have Faith he is there. Faith is the measure by which we live, by God who gives each a measure. Without Faith, we are nothing, for without Faith, there IS NOTHING, to us!

Quote:
"Behold, as for the proud one, His soul is not right within him; But the righteous will live by his faith."
Is our souls right with God? This question is our measure of Faith, and I am quoting Jesus here!

Quote:
"I tell you that He will bring about justice for them quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"
He will find mine! Thank you God our Father for ALL you have done for me and for your Creation. As undeserving, broken children of Adam, you have made us right again thanks to your Begotten Son Jesus. You have made us a New Creation! Thank you Jesus for living our your Life for US! For dying as a Perfect Sacrifice FOR US! This debt, we owe to you, can only be minutely repaid in how we live our lives while in the flesh, according to Your Will and Your Glory.

Are you a Christian? What does this mean to you? This is what it means to me, and it is only but a small part of the definition, I, in my little human brain, can give such an honor, to try and even define. To define it completely means we KNOW completely. Only God knows the hearts of men.

Thank you for your time. Have a great day to His Glory!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity