Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:02 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
I completely agree.

The problem here, as mams and I have tried to relate, is that some people consider 'fundamental' to mean 'militant' or 'aggressive' and that's not the case.

I agree that a fundamental Christian ought to be as on fire for the Lord as they are for their Tarheel, Cowboys, or Bulls.
Say what you will, but some of these posters are most certainly coming across as both militant and aggressive. Stating that everyone who doesn't believe exactly as you MUST start believing as you do is very militant and aggressive.

This is that attitude that scares moderates and non believers, because they're willing to live and let live, but the Fundamentalists aren't. Anyone who honestly believes they know it all on any subject is only fooling themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Ian, that makes no sense.

When your children are teenagers I do hope you are able to get them to obey your morals 100% of the time.

Otherwise, you're boarding the USS Palin.
It makes total sense. If she were an involved parent who taught her daughter how to use birth control along with abstinence training, she'd probably not be pregnant. You don't see the hypocrisy in a woman preaching abstinance only education having a knocked up teen daughter? It's almost laughable. If Obama made a huge deal out of how he taught kids to just say no to drugs, taught families how to keep their kids off drugs, and then had a teen child addicted to meth, the conservatives would be screaming hypocrisy left and right!

Fundamentalists see the world in black and white, ignoring all the gray that is actually our lives.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:08 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Say what you will, but some of these posters are most certainly coming across as both militant and aggressive. Stating that everyone who doesn't believe exactly as you MUST start believing as you do is very militant and aggressive.

This is that attitude that scares moderates and non believers, because they're willing to live and let live, but the Fundamentalists aren't. Anyone who honestly believes they know it all on any subject is only fooling themselves.
I am a Bible believing Christian, but I do not in any way shape or form think I know it all. In fact, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I also realize that there are many people out there who believe differently than I do and I do not feel the need to push my beliefs on anyone else.

If someone wants to know and asks me, I will tell them, but I do not jump into a conversation with everyone who will listen about my beliefs and such.

Last edited by Miss Martha; 09-09-2008 at 01:23 PM..

Old 09-09-2008, 01:10 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,688 times
Quote:
It makes total sense. If she were an involved parent who taught her daughter how to use birth control along with abstinence training, she'd probably not be pregnant. You don't see the hypocrisy in a woman preaching abstinance only education having a knocked up teen daughter? It's almost laughable. If Obama made a huge deal out of how he taught kids to just say no to drugs, taught families how to keep their kids off drugs, and then had a teen child addicted to meth, the conservatives would be screaming hypocrisy left and right!

Fundamentalists see the world in black and white, ignoring all the gray that is actually our lives.
Children do not always listen to their parents. In fact from the age of about 2 until the age of 29, most children do exactly the opposite of what their parents tell them to do. I will tell you now that unless a parent sits by their child's side 24/7, never sleeping, never taking their eyes off their children, children are going to do what they want to do.

I am living proof that kids do not listen to their parents.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Martha View Post
I am a Bible believing Christian, but I do not in any way shape or form thing I know it all. In fact, the more I learn, the more I realize I don't know. I also realize that there are many people out there who believe differently than I do and I do not feel the need to push my beliefs on anyone else.

If someone wants to know and asks me, I will tell them, but I do not jump into a conversation with everyone who will listen about my beliefs and such.
Then maybe Christian fundamentalists can be broken down into two groups - militant, as some posters above come across, and moderate, as you seem to be. Maybe not moderate in your beliefs, but moderate in your attitude?

Old 09-09-2008, 01:41 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
[quote=Marianinark;5190844]
Are 'moderate' Christians those who pick and chose what they believe?
quote]

To my way of thinking, a moderate Christian is one who is secure in one's own belief system and is tolerant of other viewpoints and other interpretations. The moderate Christian knows that in order to enjoy freedom of religion one's self, one needs to extend that courtesy to others.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:06 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
This is that attitude that scares moderates and non believers, because they're willing to live and let live, but the Fundamentalists aren't.
Jesus wasn't militant and aggressive, but neither was He willing to live and let live. I think there is a key there.. There are some people who you would call "Fundamentalists" who seem to be simply focusing on "righteous judgment" and forgetting to be like Jesus. But being like Jesus does not at all mean saying "it's all good".

It's not.

On the other hand, many "moderate Christians" are forgetting about righteousness and thus are preaching an entirely different Jesus than the one in the Bible.

I don't know how to answer the OP. I'm like mams.. I believe the Bible as absolute truth, and you would call my beliefs "fundamental", but as Nikk mentioned, the term "fundamental" or "moderate" Christian" really doesn't make sense. It's who I am. Would you call someone a "fundamental" Hispanic or a "moderate" Asian?

One area where I would differ with alot of people here is that I believe in the separation of church and state... which for me means that never will I hold a public office or try to pass "Christian laws" to govern the "unconverted". However, I am thankful for leaders holding moral Christian values as I would see them. As more anti-Christian political leaders or thought gains a foothold I can surely see my freedom of religion slipping away.

I hope to be a person that no one is "scared" of... as far as physically. At the same time, if my life is pointing to Christ it will cause some discomfort in others' lives.. not by them seeing "me" but rather, hopefully seeing God. If I am too loud, of course, all they will see is me... and it's not about me!

Old 09-09-2008, 03:02 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Fundamentalist Christianity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Is this something I should worry about...does it really effect me? Will my life change because others do these things? believe these things? Is there going to be some mass movement towards these types of behaviors or beliefs? Doubt it... so... probably nothing to really worry about...at least in my eyes... but I don't agree with several of the things listed below...not all...but a good number...

Social
The fundamentalists emphasised the command to "be ye separate"[5] and adopted a conservative social outlook that avoided many items deemed to be sinful, worldy, or inappropriate for Christians.
Whilst there is some variation in approach, most original fundamentalists would share a majority of the following views:
  • dancing is prohibited - seen as associated with immorality and immodesty
  • visiting the cinema or theatre is unacceptable - perception is that content is unchristian and lifestyles of performers are immoral
  • modest and traditional dress styles are required - women must not wear trousers, men must not have long hair or wear earrings
  • no drinking of alcohol or smoking tobacco - seen as worldly and associated with immorality
  • traditional gender roles - male headship, woman's role is to raise children - seen as the Biblical model
  • no sex outside of heterosexual marriage, opposition to homosexuality - seen as immoral and prohibited by the Bible
  • abortion is unacceptable - seen as murder (in some cases, all forms of birth control are opposed)

Old 09-09-2008, 03:13 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
I think we need a definition of "fundamentailist" and "moderate" Christian.
There are fundamentals of any religion that one must accept to be a member of that religion and Christianity is no different.

1. Christ is God
2. Christ was born of a virgin
3. Christ was crucified, died, was buried and rose bodily on the third day.
4. Christ is the ONLY way to salvation.
5. Christ is coming again.
6. The Bible is the Word of God, 100% truth, 100% reliable, infallible and the final authority on all topics upon which it touches.

These are what I would say are the "fundamentals" of Christianity. These are the fundamentals I believe as a Christian. Other's disagree with me on a couple of the points, but that's between them and God.

Others define "fundamentalists" as those portrayed in the media, the "religious right" as it were. We'll I'm not a part of that movement. And I think the label "fundamentalist" needs to return to its original meaning ... acceptance of the fundamentals.

So what then is a "moderate"?

I agree with this definition of 'fundamental', and and I accept your list as being the truth, except I would include that Christ is the only begotten Son of God the Father.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:17 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
I agree with this definition of 'fundamental', and and I accept your list as being the truth, except I would include that Christ is the only begotten Son of God the Father.
LOL... if that those together are the definition of fundamental then you can classify me as one as well... LOL... A Christian Fundamentalist who attends weekly mass at a Catholic Church LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity