Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 08:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheLord View Post
Yeah, that's what the Bible says. Just sit back on your laurels and do nothing. Don't plant seeds, cause we don't need to. Just wait to see if the world just happens to somehow magically get it on their own.
You don't know what I do...you seem to be critical of others...issues...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayofthelord
Actually, that was directed to another poster who follows me around telling me the same thing all of the time.
If there's one thing I wouldn't do, it's follow you around.

We simply see God (the God of the same KJV) differently, probably based on our experiences in life and our core makeup - that's no fault of yours or mine. I do believe in sharing the love of God, but like Aquila mentioned, we are not to be identical - just united. The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. (1 Cor. 14:32)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 09:27 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,624,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
You don't know what I do...you seem to be critical of others...issues...?

If there's one thing I wouldn't do, it's follow you around.

We simply see God (the God of the same KJV) differently, probably based on our experiences in life and our core makeup - that's no fault of yours or mine. I do believe in sharing the love of God, but like Aquila mentioned, we are not to be identical - just united. The spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. (1 Cor. 14:32)
The fact that I've had to respond to you in two of my own threads in less than two minutes about things that have absolutely nothing to do with the topic is proof positive that you are, indeed, following me around and harassing me. You are hijacking my threads, and there are definite CD rules against harassment and hijacking.

I don't think I'm the one with issues.

So we don't agree, big deal. Move on.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:44 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
I don't think I'm the one with issues.

So we don't agree, big deal. Move on.
Apparently anyone who doesn't agree with you, or who isn't always thinking about when the world is going to end or predicting that Jesus will return tomorrow has issues. I'll give you credit that you probably have a lot more credibility than Pat Robertson does, but one thing both of you have in common is making false predictions and looking down on those who don't share your way of thinking. If you think that's true Christian behavior though then so be it.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,071,078 times
Great Pat Robertson Predictions:

1. End of World will be in October or November... of 1982

2. The pacific northwest Tsunami in 2006. Oddly enough the prediction came soon after the History channel aired a seried called "Mega Diasaters: West Coast Tsunami". No Tsunami's that year... and one of the quietest Hurricane seasons.

3. 2007 "Terror attacK" that didn't happen

Other fantastic things Pat Robertson has done to progress humankind:

1. Called Methodists and Presbyterians the anti-christ
2. Support of Liberian President Charles Taylor
3. Called for the assasination of Hugo Chavez. Very Christian like
4. Said that too much plastic surgery can give you "eyes like the orientals" and then proceded to stretch his eyelids in a manner typical of asians
5. Claims he can leg press 2,000 lbs because he drinks an energy drink that he developed (and I'm sure he'd like to sell to you). The last person to even attempt a weight like that was Dan Kendra and his eyes burst during the lift.

I think Pat Robertson is a fine leader and individual to follow. He leads so many people in the "right" way. Hats off to you Pat Robertson.. you are a real American hero

for me to poop on.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Great Pat Robertson Predictions:

1. End of World will be in October or November... of 1982

2. The pacific northwest Tsunami in 2006. Oddly enough the prediction came soon after the History channel aired a seried called "Mega Diasaters: West Coast Tsunami". No Tsunami's that year... and one of the quietest Hurricane seasons.

3. 2007 "Terror attacK" that didn't happen

Other fantastic things Pat Robertson has done to progress humankind:

1. Called Methodists and Presbyterians the anti-christ
2. Support of Liberian President Charles Taylor
3. Called for the assasination of Hugo Chavez. Very Christian like
4. Said that too much plastic surgery can give you "eyes like the orientals" and then proceded to stretch his eyelids in a manner typical of asians
5. Claims he can leg press 2,000 lbs because he drinks an energy drink that he developed (and I'm sure he'd like to sell to you). The last person to even attempt a weight like that was Dan Kendra and his eyes burst during the lift.

I think Pat Robertson is a fine leader and individual to follow. He leads so many people in the "right" way. Hats off to you Pat Robertson.. you are a real American hero

for me to poop on.
Really, Bigthirsty? Is there anyone you DO like?

Moderator cut: personal remarks I never said I agree with everything that Pat Robertson says and does, just like most of the ministries I talk about here. I prefer to focus on their spiritual and head knowledge of the scriptures, and their good qualities and work for the Lord.

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-19-2008 at 12:15 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
To be fair, any prediction or prophecy is open season for all to have an opinion on - and DOTL had the guts to put it out there - that's the way He made us, different not in sincerity or purpose, but in style and flavor.

Nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Really, Bigthirsty?
Yes Really.

Quote:
is there anyone you DO like?
Yes. Many.
Moderator cut: orphaned

And I wish you'd do more research on the people you use to:

Quote:
focus on their spiritual and head knowledge of the scriptures
I have a solution. You do more research on the front end and I'll have less smearing to do on the back end.

For instance.. researching why Pat Robertson was so supportive of a dictator who had been indicted for..

wait for it..

wait for it..

CRIMES AGAINST HUMANITY

Not crimes against a group of people. CRIMES AGINST HUMANITY.

I'll give you a hint why he was supportive:

Shiny thinigs. Yellow shiny things. Clear shiny things. $8,000,000.

Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Alpha8207; 09-19-2008 at 12:16 PM..

Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,148,392 times
Quote:
Actually, that was directed to another poster who follows me around telling me the same thing all of the time.
I didn't assume it was directed at me, as I had not yet posted in this thread.

Quote:
I realize we all have different roles and strengths. Like I said, you are taking what I said to one person and generalizing it. That wasn't what I was saying.
I'm not sure I follow what you are saying here. I wasn't generalizing anything. I saw a comment you posted in response to another member and, based on the construction of your sentence, I detected some sarcasm and assumed you were stating that it is the duty of all Christians to be evangelists. I disagree with that, and pointed out a truth to show that we aren't all necessarily resting on our laurels, but instead going about doing what we are called to do according to our gifts and roles in the kingdom. For example, I know for sure that it's not my purpose to evangelize by actively telling others about Jesus. I don't have the skill to do that - I'm not a pastor. That role is given to others. Instead, it is my place in the kingdom to help in the little, "behind the scenes" ways if I can.

Now, if you're saying I mistook your words, then I will stand corrected.

Quote:
And may I ask why you don't like Pat Robertson? The CBN ministries and Operation Blessing do tremendous work in people's lives all over the world, and He's the one that started it all. I can't imagine why anyone would dislike someone who has worked so hard for the Lord.
Well.....Big Thirsty pretty much hit the nail on the head. I think Robertson has flubbed on some predictions, and as such I feel that makes him a false prophet. Whether he has done a lot of good or not, there is something about him that rubs me the wrong way. I am extremely suspicious of any and all televangelists - including Billy Graham. But most especially those who are overly concerned about being business leaders who, by nature, advocate a position of increasing your wealth. Also, I simply don't trust the message of a lot of evangelical Protestant preachers. I'm more Catholic/Orthodox in my spirituality.

Old 09-19-2008, 03:30 PM

Feel free to read all about "Operation Blessing" @ http://www.city-data.com/forum/5336950-post1.html

Old 09-21-2008, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Feel free to read all about "Operation Blessing" @ http://www.city-data.com/forum/5336950-post1.html
This is really ugly, bigthirsty. Operation blessing has nothing to do with the things you listed in the thread you started in the R&P. And I'm sure there's got to be some rule against you advocating your own personal vendetta thread in my thread, which obviously gave you the idea to do so.

Why can't you see past what others say, and look at the whole picture? I clearly stated in my OP to read the letter, regardless of what one thinks of Pat Robertson. How much clearer could I make it? Did you even read the letter? The links you provided are one-sided and biased, as is pretty much any such news report on any ministry these days.

If anyone wants to know what Operation Blessing and the CBN ministries are REALLY about, please check out this link:

CBN.com - Christian Broadcasting Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity