Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 AM

302 posts, read 553,783 times

Advertisements

In order to understand the words of a writer, we must consider to whom he is writing. In Paul's letter to the churches of Galatia, he is writing to an early church that was comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, through faith, had taken hold of the New Covenant that God had made with the house of Israel and the House of Judah.

"For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:" Heb 8:10 (KJV)

(That is the only covenant that is valid; because it was brought into effect by the death of Jesus Christ.)

The Ten Commandments with their moral precepts were not abolished at the cross! They are engraved upon the hearts of the people of God. Please listen to the following words of Paul (The writer of Galatians) and filter all his hard-to-understand, obscure verses through these few clear words:

"Do we then make void the law **through faith**?
God forbid: yea, We Establish The Law." Rom 3:31

We Establish The Law!
We Establish The Law!
We Establish The Law!

We must use those four words as a touchstone to test all doctrines based upon the epistles of Paul. Otherwise; his words can be easily twisted to become a license to sin. The apostle Peter said:

16 "As also in all his [Paul's] epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness." 2 Pet 3:16-17 (KJV)

As I said before, the churches of Galatia were comprised of Jews and Gentiles who, through faith, had taken hold of the New Covenant that God had made with the house of Israel and the House of Judah.

Those two groups of people had two sets of problems that needed to be corrected:

THE GENTILES came from paganism and had to renounce their old way of life when they served demons with their pagan practices of idolatry, witchcraft and astrology. (Dear reader: please read my post: The Days, Months, Times and Years of Galatians 4:10-11.)

THE JEW'S problem was that old traditions are hard to give up! The saints of the Old Testament also had faith and believed the gospel! Every time they offered a lamb, they were looking forward to "The Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world."

For centuries, natural Israel had offered the sacrifices of the "yoke of bondage." and some Jewish Christians were still doing those works of the law. Paul is exhorting them to stop doing the rites and sacrifices that went with the Levitical Priesthood.

THE LAW OF ORDINANCES (that regulated the priesthood and the ceremonial law) was abolished at the cross of Jesus Christ.

No law can forgive sins (justification). No law can deliver us from the power of our sin nature. We must have faith in Jesus Christ.

(Here is a good opportunity for me to compare The Law Of Ordinances with The Ten Commandmants.)

1. The Law of Ordinances is the carnal law.

"The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing: Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience; Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them **until the time of reformation**." Heb 9:8-10 (KJV)

2. The Ten Commandments is the spiritual law. (It is the law that defines sin):

"What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. **Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law:** for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou Shalt Not Covet." Rom 7:7 (KJV)

"For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin." Romans 7:14 KJV)

"That the righteousness of **the law might be fulfilled in us **, who walk not after the flesh, but after the spirit." Rom 8:14 (KJV)

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." Rom 8:14 (KJV)

Conclusion: The Law of Ordinances was abolished at the cross. Sin is transgression of The Ten Commandments. We must have faith in the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus for the forgiveness and cleansing of sins. Christians must obey The Ten Commandments for Jesus to be our Lord. The sons of God obey The Ten Commandments through the enabling power of The Holy Spirit.

Donna Kupp

The Seven Deadly Deceptions Of Counterfeit Christianity
freetruth.info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 10:39 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,566,328 times
Wow! There's nothing more to say except the Law is a schoolmaster, the Law is a mirror. Paul said, he would not know sin if not for the Law.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:48 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,944,684 times
The law is of the flesh. Grace is of the Spirit. What are the works of the flesh? What are the fruits of the Spirit? Paul gives us the answer.

Galatians 5:
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,

20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:35 AM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
I don't dwell on the Law, how ever it is defined, as it is a restriction on the mind, which restricts the flesh. Granted, before, I did need the Law, as it did show me how far removed from God I really was. But since I came to know my Savior, it isn't needed, if you follow the greatest two on which hang all the others.

God is way above this. If you live like a carnal beast, you need the Law. If you live according to the Spiritual Dictates of Jesus, and His Kingdom, then what use is the Law? It is established. Forever etched on our hearts.

I don't go around looking for ways not to sin. I don't give temptation and it's sin the opportunity. Do I sin? We are human, living in Babylon, so of course we do, unknowingly. The better question should be for those who question future overcomers, is whether I knowingly sin. Willfully! No. I walk away from it, no rather, run from it.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM

63,814 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotinAZ View Post
I don't dwell on the Law, how ever it is defined, as it is a restriction on the mind, which restricts the flesh. Granted, before, I did need the Law, as it did show me how far removed from God I really was. But since I came to know my Savior, it isn't needed, if you follow the greatest two on which hang all the others.

God is way above this. If you live like a carnal beast, you need the Law. If you live according to the Spiritual Dictates of Jesus, and His Kingdom, then what use is the Law? It is established. Forever etched on our hearts.

I don't go around looking for ways not to sin. I don't give temptation and it's sin the opportunity. Do I sin? We are human, living in Babylon, so of course we do, unknowingly. The better question should be for those who question future overcomers, is whether I knowingly sin. Willfully! No. I walk away from it, no rather, run from it.
Very well said, HotinAz.

Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 AM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
Awesome post!

THE SEVEN DECEPTIONS (http://www.freetruth.info/THE%20SEVEN%20DECEPTIONS/ - broken link)

This is just I as was taught all through my life and my 14 years of Catholic Education.

I was just thinking the other day about how the RC Church is the only one that considers it a Mortal Sin to miss Mass on Sunday and Holy Days of Obligation. Some catholics don't even believe that! But there it is: "Keep holy the Lord's Day!"

THANKS!!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:

I don't believe that's what Donna Kupp was talking about.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:41 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
Wow! There's nothing more to say except the Law is a schoolmaster, the Law is a mirror. Paul said, he would not know sin if not for the Law.
Does it not also say that we are no longer under a schoolmaster? Every sermon I've ever heard on the schoolmaster scripture leaves out the second part! No longer under!

Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
Quote:

Absolutely.........

Old 01-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Does it not also say that we are no longer under a schoolmaster? Every sermon I've ever heard on the schoolmaster scripture leaves out the second part! No longer under!
We are no longer under the law, but the law still remains and it is still a schoolmaster. Jesus gave the rich young ruler the Law when asked, how can he obtain eternal life. The Law shows the unregenerate what sin is and it makes sense of the cross.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity