Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2014, 05:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,389,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The work stops at the onset of the tribulation( this begins when Babylon the great falls) Its like the locking of the ark door.
Yep, but no one knows when that will be and ......... Noah and his family went in one week ahead while the weather was still nice. God said when and he had to be ready to obey or .... well it got awfully wet. Today we better be ready, through practice as it were, to obey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 05:49 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
I invite them in.

The confused look I get when I say lets put tha book of yours in my yard and see how small the book is and how great god is.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:14 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
The other day, two Jws came to my door. Both of them were very nice, and this time they weren't rude to me after I told them that I was a Christian who happens to attend a Baptist church.

The last time a JW came to my door he totally started telling me how my religion follows the traditions of men, and that my beliefs are basically wrong from his, which shocked me because I was thinking that if he wanted me to see the light, then that wasn't the way to do it. It would have been so easy for me to go instantly in the flesh and argue with him about where I thought their teachings were wrong. But what I did instead was gave him my testimony when I became a christian, and how I loved God Jehovah just as much as they do, and gave him a question to ponder about using his own bible?

I started this thread because so many threads seem to be so anti-Jehovah's witness. Instead of us non Jehovah's witnesses starting threads to debate whether JWs are right or wrong, let's share our testimonies with them and our beliefs without debating.

Since JWs are so used to being treated rude by people when they are out in their Field Service, as they call it, they don't encounter too many people who can really articulate what they believe and why using the bible like them.

What makes the JWs so effective is that they are well trained and well studied on their beliefs. Many times we as christians can't defend what we believe because some of us don't attend Sunday School or attend a weekly bible studies where we can get systematic teaching in order to tell others about our beliefs.

So for the bible students out there who are not Jehovah's Witnesses.
What do you do when the Jehovah's Witnesses come knocking on your door?
I always try to be civil and polite. JW's are just as Christian as any other denomination IMHO. They come to some very non-traditional conclusions from their reading of the Bible, but since when does being "traditional" make anyone a "real Christian." JW's they tend to practice what they preach more so than most and I admire that. I always open by telling them that I admire the good lives they live and their zeal for spreading the gospel message as they understand it.

Since I'm pretty familiar with their faith, I ask questions about their unique beliefs. There are many questions neither they nor any other like-minded Christian religion can intelligently answer, so last time I asked them to explain why they believe in a closed canon of Scripture. They didn't have a good answer to that, but then again neither do most mainline Christian denominations. The majority of Christianity believes that God just stopped talking to humanity, ditched us and left us to figure it our for ourselves (via the Holy Spirit most would say, and look how well that's working out ...)

There tends to be two versions of JW proselyting:
a.) The local JW that lives closest to us.
b.) The "blitz the whole town in one day" mass-proselyting thing.

Typically, after a chat with them, Type A doesn't knock on my door for the next several years. Type B still shows up though. I'm fine with both knocking on my door, but I already know that they can't answer the really tough questions. They do know their version of the gospel of Christ well enough to convert countless of folks who were raised Christian but have no real depth of understanding.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:24 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,731,625 times
LOL, same ol' recycled thread. I've responded three times from the looks of things.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,391,485 times
I would put up a sign that says "No Jehovah's Witnesses allowed" of course!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:23 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,210 times
I had one drop by the house just the other day. He was a neatly dressed young man and simply handed me a small pamphlet that had a photo of his church with directions on how to get to it printed on it. He invited me to his church, wished me a good day and departed. I wished him a good day also and went into the house. It was about 94 degrees and I was quite warm.

Old 09-14-2014, 11:36 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
How about coming to your computer, google at Jehovah
Ha ha ha, I don't need to go to the computer to look them up. I was just at a family function, and since my family member is a JW, guess who most of the people there were? You got it, and get this. I had a wonderful time up until it was almost time to go home.

One of the guests asked me was I a JW, and when I to told her no. Another woman at the gathering over heard the conversation, and then she informed me how she used to be a Baptist and a 7th Day Adventist, and how she used to sing gospel music. I didn't know where she was going with telling me about her past religion memberships, but part of me was thinking and hoping that she was just letting me know how she used to be a church member.

But this is where it got interesting. She quickly switches the conversation, which in my opinion we weren't at this gathering to discuss religion in the first place, to inform me about the KJV Bible leaving out the name of Jehovah.

I told her that I don't only read the KJV, and that I read many translations since not one translation is God's Word in the first place. To make a long story short, this same woman asked me to break bread with she and her husband (who is an elder at their kingdom hall), and I politely declined because I didn't want to get into a big ping pong type of discussion about what I believe while listening to her or her husband tell me how wrong my religion's teaching are against the Watch Tower's.

It became very obvious that she wanted to set me straight about the tetragrammaton and the name of Jehovah being left of of many bible translations, especially the KJV. I think she ASSumed that I didn't know what the tetragrammaton is which, had it been her telling me that 10 years ago, I would have been ignorant of it's meaning. But, me being where I am at now spiritually, I just don't debate, and will not entertain any debate about who's right or wrong about Scripture anymore. I am passed that type of foolishness that gets no where and just leaves people bitter and angry at each other. That's not the agape love that God has commanded ALL Christians to show.

Last edited by antredd; 09-14-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 12:43 AM

840 posts, read 772,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Just did a search of the Bible and could not find Jehovahs Witnesses there anywhere. Can you show me the verse where we are not supposed to allow them in our house?

You must have overlooked Isaiah 43:10, 12 . . .

"Ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and my servant whom I have chosen;
that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he:
before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.
"I have declared, and I have saved, and I have showed; and there was no strange [god] among you: therefore ye are my witnesses, saith Jehovah, and I am God."
(American Standard Version)

It doesn't say anything about not allowing such ones into one's homes, but it does show where they got their name.

Old 09-15-2014, 01:06 PM

229 posts, read 337,514 times
I used to be a JW and while there are some who I admit can be overzealous or even flat out rude there any many who actually do enjoy speaking with others about the bible topics and through their door to door work have helped many, just like other Christian sects who have helped others through other means. Based on my experience the people who were the rudest to me were ones who either (a) had one bad experience with a JW / Mormons/ etc and associated every last one as such sometimes becoming agnostic or atheist (b) just rude to begin with not just to JW's but everyone or (c) are doing things that go against bible principles and hate being reminded of such. I think people make a joke about JW's coming to their door are just being lazy the same way they make fun of other sects or people because its an easy joke, although its been done now on TV, sitcoms, etc since the 80's. You think people would just simply learn either politely say no thanks, ask to be taken off their list, and here's a thought... just don't answer the door.

I stepped aside being a JW not because they are bad people I just could not teach certain core teachings I was told to teach. That being said... EVERY Christian sect has incorrect teachings so I don't treat them any different than other well meaning Christians and still appreciate the work they do. Many Christian sect members sacrifice their lives in doing good for others, going overseas to teach and help, avid bible students, etc JW's are just mainly known for door to door ministry however other sects are known for other things that also help so I don't tear each down but rather appreciate the good each does and leave the judging to God. I join them in trying my best to help teach, live my life in a positive way, observe bible principles and commend and encourage them even if they think I am not worthy of everlasting life since I am not a JW. But I understand it and don't take it personally, I thank them for the good they do for others.

Last edited by MichaelDante; 09-15-2014 at 01:19 PM..

Old 09-15-2014, 11:30 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,422,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelDante View Post
I used to be a JW and while there are some who I admit can be overzealous or even flat out rude there any many who actually do enjoy speaking with others about the bible topics and through their door to door work have helped many, just like other Christian sects who have helped others through other means. Based on my experience the people who were the rudest to me were ones who either (a) had one bad experience with a JW / Mormons/ etc and associated every last one as such sometimes becoming agnostic or atheist (b) just rude to begin with not just to JW's but everyone or (c) are doing things that go against bible principles and hate being reminded of such. I think people make a joke about JW's coming to their door are just being lazy the same way they make fun of other sects or people because its an easy joke, although its been done now on TV, sitcoms, etc since the 80's. You think people would just simply learn either politely say no thanks, ask to be taken off their list, and here's a thought... just don't answer the door.

I stepped aside being a JW not because they are bad people I just could not teach certain core teachings I was told to teach. That being said... EVERY Christian sect has incorrect teachings so I don't treat them any different than other well meaning Christians and still appreciate the work they do. Many Christian sect members sacrifice their lives in doing good for others, going overseas to teach and help, avid bible students, etc JW's are just mainly known for door to door ministry however other sects are known for other things that also help so I don't tear each down but rather appreciate the good each does and leave the judging to God. I join them in trying my best to help teach, live my life in a positive way, observe bible principles and commend and encourage them even if they think I am not worthy of everlasting life since I am not a JW. But I understand it and don't take it personally, I thank them for the good they do for others.
Excellent post, and I hope that your experience as a JW hasn't turned you into an agnostic or atheist. All I can say is that you are 100% right about ALL religions having some interpretations that could be questioned using Scripture. I think that's why I try to stress Jesus over anyone's religion. What bothers me is how people leap frog over what Jesus has done and put their religion on the cross as if to say that their religion is the only way to the father.

We have to be careful when we discuss biblical topics, especially when those topics leave so much room for various interpretations. I can respect anyone who tells me that this is why he or she believes what he or she believes and can use Scripture as proof over just telling me that this is what they believe because their elder or pastor simply told to believe it as true over what the bible actually teaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity