Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 05:34 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,341,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
What I find interesting about this discussion is that Mardi Gras is a huge TOURIST attraction for NOLA.... and people of ALL FAITHS attend. So, when people talk about THE CHURCH... who are they talking about?
The Roman one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
The Roman one
I understand this... I am just saying if everyone gathers from multiple faiths to sin in a mass parade of hedonism... then, why is this conversations all revolving around religion (THE CHURCH in particular)... Really, NOLA's Mardi Gras is a tourist based way of earning money and partying. It is a festival that may have began as a tradition that revolved around the start of LENT... but it has evolved into something non religious if it ever was that to begin with. NOLA's entire culture and way of life on Bourbon Street is sinful and inappropriate and comes to a hieghtened existence on this day... NOLA in general seems to be a sinful place, like Las Vegas and other locations in nation.... I think it is that culture more than the day itself... if anything. Perhaps the culture won out over the people.... in the beginning... knowing they would be forced to fast/repent for 40 days and nights... But in today's society it has become a whole other entitiy which has nothing to do with religion at all.....

Old 02-27-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I understand this... I am just saying if everyone gathers from multiple faiths to sin in a mass parade of hedonism... then, why is this conversations all revolving around religion (THE CHURCH in particular)... Really, NOLA's Mardi Gras is a tourist based way of earning money and partying. It is a festival that may have began as a tradition that revolved around the start of LENT... but it has evolved into something non religious if it ever was that to begin with. NOLA's entire culture and way of life on Bourbon Street is sinful and inappropriate and comes to a hieghtened existence on this day... NOLA in general seems to be a sinful place, like Las Vegas and other locations in nation.... I think it is that culture more than the day itself... if anything. Perhaps the culture won out over the people.... in the beginning... knowing they would be forced to fast/repent for 40 days and nights... But in today's society it has become a whole other entitiy which has nothing to do with religion at all.....
I agree.
Kind of reminds me of christmas and chocolate easter bunnys

Old 02-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I agree.
Kind of reminds me of christmas and chocolate easter bunnys
you associate flashing your breasts and getting trashed with Christmas? Funny... I don't... nor do I assiciate them with the prep of Lent.... so I don't see how Mardi Gras has anything to do with Lent either....

Old 02-27-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
you associate flashing your breasts and getting trashed with Christmas?
Of course not.
(I prefer not to dwell in the details of the mardis gras excesses.)

My only point was that many Christian celebrations have been perverted.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Of course not.
(I prefer not to dwell in the details of the mardis gras excesses.)

My only point was that many Christian celebrations have been perverted.
So sorry for my misunderstanding

Old 02-27-2009, 06:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Mardi Gras literally means Fat Tuesday. Mardi is Tuesday and Gras is fat. The tradition holds that on Ash Wednesday you begin lent which is a Catholic tradition of giving up something between Ash Wednesday and Easter. In most cases this something was certain types of food and drink. Most common is eating meat on Friday. It's during this time that local restaurants here in Louisiana have sales on seafood dishes every Friday. Because of this tradition it became customary to indulge in those things you were going to give up for Lent. This led to over indulgence and a large party type celebration. It's gone overboard to the point of being dangerous due to extreme drunken behavior and illegal drugs. Most of the Louisiana Mardi Gras outside of New Orleans do not tolerate public nudity, public sex, and other things that go on in New Orleans.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Mardi Gras literally means Fat Tuesday. Mardi is Tuesday and Gras is fat. The tradition holds that on Ash Wednesday you begin lent which is a Catholic tradition of giving up something between Ash Wednesday and Easter. In most cases this something was certain types of food and drink. Most common is eating meat on Friday. It's during this time that local restaurants here in Louisiana have sales on seafood dishes every Friday. Because of this tradition it became customary to indulge in those things you were going to give up for Lent. This led to over indulgence and a large party type celebration. It's gone overboard to the point of being dangerous due to extreme drunken behavior and illegal drugs. Most of the Louisiana Mardi Gras outside of New Orleans do not tolerate public nudity, public sex, and other things that go on in New Orleans.
Thanks for the clarification.

No offence to Louisiana. ( Been there once, great people and great food )

What you describe outside of new orleans sounds like alot of good fun.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM

In the town of Mamou they celebrate it in a classic Cajun tradition. Men on horseback and in homemade costume travel door to door along a trail asking for donations,...usually a live chicken and the men and boys try to catch the chicken. The end of the ride, which includes wagons, is where they make a big gumbo and other food. They also have music and dancing. About the only thing I don't like about that is there's still too much drinking. I'll post a link

Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 PM

YouTube - Mardi Gras Mamou Style
Mardi Gras de Mamou - American Profile (http://www.americanprofile.com/spotlights/article/20689.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity