Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 12:58 PM

706 posts, read 1,241,857 times

Advertisements

A couple hundred thousand would do wonders for me, I could move back home closer to my family and not worry about losing my good benefits and health insurance. I could attend the church of my choice and get involved with my community. My stress level would be almost non existent and my depression would lessen.The only problem is I don't play the lottery either, so I definitely won't win it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,166 times
Id buy a huge boat and set sail! only returning on holidays

Old 02-25-2010, 04:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
To be honest, I have asked God to let me win with the stipulation that I give it ALL away, basing it on that maxim that you can't outgive God. I've even purchased a ticket and quoted the verse "the wealth of the wicked is laid up for the righteous." So far, hasn't happened, so don't know that is necessarily God's plan for me, lol.

Let's say it did happen. I would take care of some basic bills, buy a house and some other "toys" but I've thought of taking the majority and setting up a foundation and then going around the country and overseas and helping Christian groups and churches with what they are doing to further the kingdom of God. The burden then would be to know what group or individual is deserving of such a windfall as bailing them out might be the last thing that needs to happen in their walk with God. God teaches us so much about Himself in times of diversity that my interference could be detrimental.

However, this mindset is still a poverty mindset in my view of God. It is basically saying that God isn't the owner of cattle on a thousand hills and can't do these things without me winning some lottery. So, while it is a fun mental diversion from time to time, it really goes against the truth of who I know God to be and what he has called me to be.

Still, I can't help thinking how much fun it would be to go to a good brother at work that just had to declare bankruptcy so he wouldn't lose his house and say "meet me at your bank" and walk in and pay off his mortgage. Or walk into some churches that I love and go give the pastor a check to pay off the building. I think giving it away like that would be such a thrill that wouldn't compare to spending it on myself.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 02-25-2010 at 04:21 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 04:20 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times
I think that is one of those things, we all THINK we know how we would act and respond but that may not actually be the case. For example, I thought I would definitly parent my child one way BEFORE having children, and now that I have a child I can see that sometimes my old thought doesn't work with the situation. I would like to think that it wouldn't change me...but I can't help but think that it would change friendships. Not that you would want it to, but I could see people changing their expectations of me.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:26 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
People always talk about what they would do if they won the lottery. They'd pay off bills, buy a new house, help out friends and family, tithe, take a vacation and so on.

I don't believe I'd rely on God as much because I'd have enough money to provide for all of my needs.

I'd NOT buy a new house nor help out family and friends.
Tithing is a given.

I'd rely on God MORE...are you kidding! A fool and his money are soon parted.

You'd be so broke faster than anything if you didn't rely on God- if you were foolish enough to think money provides for your needs.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:00 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,181,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The burden then would be to know what group or individual is deserving of such a windfall as bailing them out might be the last thing that needs to happen in their walk with God. God teaches us so much about Himself in times of diversity that my interference could be detrimental.
Amen - and the hands would be outstretched, displaying uncharacteristically from those who appeared to have a "good" heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
However, this mindset is still a poverty mindset in my view of God. It is basically saying that God isn't the owner of cattle on a thousand hills and can't do these things without me winning some lottery. So, while it is a fun mental diversion from time to time, it really goes against the truth of who I know God to be and what he has called me to be.
Agree again. While I have blown a buck or two on the remote possibility of an easier walk - I don't feel it's God's plan for me.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:18 AM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,706 times
I would leave this crazy country and stay on the move-I would still draw my SS though-assuming the lottery was large enough.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:20 AM

4,213 posts, read 5,836,603 times
I dont play so I guess I would have to get the money another way or just work for what I get like now.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
Hmmm...it's funny who people think that everyone would change for the evil. How do you know this as a 100% FACT! WE DON"T! Because, people can change even if they work hard for the money. Example...there are people who became physicians and have changed by ego and money. There are lottery winners who have not. I was even amazed when a lottery winner gave his money away. So winning the lottery doesn't change everyone. See for yourself or copy the youtube link below.

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbpmeaeVTrI]YouTube - $159 million lottery winner finds God and gives away jackpot.[/url]

Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,690,730 times
I dunno but on the upside,I'd be very happy if I could give large amts to my fav charities.It's frustrating not to be able to do more sometimes.It sure would be nice to be able to cut a check for say,5K to one of my fav causes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity