Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,170,824 times

Advertisements

Church buildings. Are they NT Biblical? I can't find anything like it anywhere...everyone met in homes. Is it right to call a building church? House of God? Etc? Are we putting a building in the position of reverence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
Hi, I believe that the church is the body of Christ and can meet anywhere, a building, in someone's home, in a gym, ect. It isn't the structure where the assembly meets that is important, but who meets there and why they meet. God bless.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:50 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,778,002 times
the church is the people. a church is just where the church meets.

They met in homes back then, because they were forced to hide. They met where they could.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirringWaters View Post
Church buildings. Are they NT Biblical? I can't find anything like it anywhere...everyone met in homes. Is it right to call a building church? House of God? Etc? Are we putting a building in the position of reverence?
All valid points Stirringwaters. THE church is the true body of believers.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:53 AM

Hmm. They had to hide? But Paul used a building one time to have a large place to gather. It was public.

Is it what God wanted? Are we pouring money into buildings that should be going to widows and orphans?

This has always weighed heavily on my mind.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:57 AM

8,989 posts, read 14,581,959 times
Quote:
Hmm. They had to hide? But Paul used a building one time to have a large place to gather. It was public.

Is it what God wanted? Are we pouring money into buildings that should be going to widows and orphans?

This has always weighed heavily on my mind.
again good points but here is the thing you start a small house service with a total of 6 people, then it grows to 10 then pretty soon the neighbors complain because you have grown to 20 people and you have cars all over the neighbourhood so you move to a bigger buiding where you have heating bills etc....get the point? Most mega churches started off as house churches.

Yes I find that too many churches put way to much emphasis on a building, you know gotta be relevant, we need to keep the masses entertained. That money can be spent elsewhere

Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundamentalist View Post
again good points but here is the thing you start a small house service with a total of 6 people, then it grows to 10 then pretty soon the neighbors complain because you have grown to 20 people and you have cars all over the neighbourhood so you move to a bigger buiding where you have heating bills etc....get the point? Most mega churches started off as house churches.

Yes I find that too many churches put way to much emphasis on a building, you know gotta be relevant, we need to keep the masses entertained. That money can be spent elsewhere
Why not do what the early church did and break into small groups that meet in different houses?

Do church buildings encourage divisiveness? You know...different denominations?

Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM

14,905 posts, read 17,208,148 times
Some do meet in different houses, StirringWaters. But if you have a large group of believers in a community and they need to meet together for whatever reason, a larger place would be more appropriate. So many have other ministries like Sunday school, children's "church", youth groups, choirs, ect. which they believe are important ministries, and it might be hard to do all of this in the homes of individuals, although I believe that meeting in homes is a great idea. God bless.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,852,751 times
Quote:
The temple of Solomon (building) ... or what's left of it, had God's hand upon it. Therefore He can raise it up or tear it down. Jesus taught and learned in synagogues. The early church was also persucuted and hid out, as todays church does where they are being persucuted. In addition... Today's churches need buildings, some for celebration, for teaching, for gathering, for many reasons.

Must the church have buildings? no... but it helps. Can buildings become elevated to a "mark" of Godly success? Yes... and often do. Our natural inclination is to see large campuses as evidence of God's blessings. Steeples used to be the mark of good, better or best Churches.

Remember society did not have the mobility in the early days of the Church... so homes were the natural place to meet. Large gatherings were generally held at places marked by good geography or geology. Cesaria Phillipi was a good example. Having been to Israel there are many places, including large buildings, that were use for purposes of worship.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM

Do we accept how it is done today just because we have been born into it?

I know that I get so much more out of daily Bible readings with my family than I do at church. I know that I get more out of spending a day with fellow believers than I do out of an hour in a church building.

I seriously am worried that this is not what the Lord has intended.

And as I said before, if many would like to meet, let them rent a building for a day. There's nothing wrong with that. Have tent meetings during nice weather.

There is very little fellowship on a Sunday meeting. We sit in pews facing one man the entire time. We might spend a bit of time after offering each other pleasantries...then we mostly go home for our after church meal. Another hour on a Sunday night.

I think we're missing what the early Christians had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity